PDA

View Full Version : One of my students......

imported_Robert Andersson
06-15-2005, 03:45 AM
Is this standard?
Is this correct played?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Student is CO with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, 3 folds, MP3 calls, Student calls, Button calls, 1 fold, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (5 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, Student bets, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif (5 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, Student bets, Button calls, BB folds, UTG folds, MP3 calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 players)
MP3 checks, Student bets, Button raises, MP3 folds, Student folds.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

Results in white below:
Button doesn't show.
Outcome: Button wins 11.25 BB.

aK13
06-15-2005, 03:56 AM
The board is soooo coordinated, I'm probably not betting that flop. There's so many cards we don't want to see on the turn and river.

Stuey
06-15-2005, 03:58 AM
I like raising preflop, changes the way the hand can be played later. And A8s often is a big enough kicker vs 2 loose limpers, plus I might chop the hand. Clearly I want to play it for the flush possibilities but with these other options I feel safe raising.

I hope my preflop raise got rid of one or both of the blinds. I bet the flop. I want to get rid of more players, find out if anyone likes their hand now, and keep the lead in the hand. My preflop raise makes a bet here more likely to narrow the field. If a A comes I could have someone reverse dominated with my 2 pair.

I bet the turn also. They can't fold unless I do and I don't want them getting to see the river for free as several cards ruin my hand. I need people to fold.

I check/call the river. Too many people stayed around I want to showdown my hand but cheaply. I fold if it goes bet/raise and I am facing 2 bets here.

Don't really like my play here but it is what I am currently doing. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

06-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the answers.

the flop and turn is marginal but still ok!

But is is it smart(EV+) to bet on the river?

/Robert

Webster
06-15-2005, 07:11 AM
That's how I would play it. Flopping 2 pair will win 75% of the time and you have a boat draw. Board is REAL coordniated but . . .you have outs and nobody ELSE wants to take charge!!!!

Grinders Warehouse BLOG Edition (http://www.grinderswarehouse.com)

Dave G.
06-15-2005, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With two overcards to your pair and 4 other opponents, I don't think the flop and turn are okay at all. What do you think they are calling you with here? There was no PF raise. You are almost certainly behind here.

Even betting the flop is probably bad. You have no backdoor draws and the board is extremely co-ordinated. The pot isn't that big, you don't have many outs, and there are many redraws you have to go up against. The correct play here is to check and fold, and it isn't close.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you get to the river, no, it is not correct to bet this river. You check and hope it gets checked through. If it comes back two to you, you can dump it. You might call a bet, depending on your opponents, but I certainly wouldn't.

06-15-2005, 07:15 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
That's how I would play it. Flopping 2 pair will win 75% of the time and you have a boat draw. Board is REAL coordniated but . . .you have outs and nobody ELSE wants to take charge!!!!

Grinders Warehouse BLOG Edition (http://www.grinderswarehouse.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

he flopped the lowest pair.

06-15-2005, 07:21 AM
i guess your right about the flop here Dave. How is played best?
check call? check/fold? depending on the action?

/Robert

Dave G.
06-15-2005, 07:25 AM
I would just check/fold. There are not enough good cards and too many bad cards that can come on the turn, and if you improve on the turn you then have to dodge the river. I wouldn't expect to win this from here enough times to justify continuing for the size of this pot.

BlackRain
06-15-2005, 07:51 AM
check fold is how I would play this. I can't imagine student wins this.

mmbt0ne
06-15-2005, 10:24 AM
haha, same thing happens to me.

Make sure to change color to whatever the Swedish equivalent is. I have to change them all to couleur or they show up like that.

parappa
06-15-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would just check/fold. There are not enough good cards and too many bad cards that can come on the turn, and if you improve on the turn you then have to dodge the river. I wouldn't expect to win this from here enough times to justify continuing for the size of this pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

karitek
06-15-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should check/call the river, trying to induce a bluff. The board was highly coordinated, but neither the turn or the river completed any draws. And if the button had flopped a straight, I think he'd raise the turn.

If you bet, I don't see what he would be calling with that you would beat. And you really don't want to get raised.

Marquis
06-15-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One of my students......

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, um, so this friend of mine has these really painful warts, and I, I mean he, wants to know...

tinhat
06-15-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of my students......

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, um, so this friend of mine has these really painful warts, and I, I mean he, wants to know...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend that knows a doctor - I can get the number from him if your friend wants it...

Mike

Sasnak
06-15-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The board is soooo coordinated, I'm probably not betting that flop. There's so many cards we don't want to see on the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. This action continually would make a nice leak.

KeysrSoze
06-15-2005, 01:27 PM
bottom pair, 3 clean outs, and massive redraws that will destroy you, in a 5 sb pot? I drop this like a badly digested taco in the morning.

Stuey
06-15-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the answers.

/Robert

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can never bet the river here.

If we bet and they fold they are folding hands we have beat anyways. Like busted flush and str8 draws plus small PP's and over cards. We want them to try and bluff with these hands also.

So if you bet here anyone that calls has you beat and anyone that raises might be bluffing but you HAVE to fold to the bluff, which really hurts. Even if they are not bluffing we lose an extra bet we didn't need to risk.

If you check we hope they won't bet fearing a check raise from us as we played strong the whole hand. And from other hands they know we might check raise. If they do bet it could be a bluff and then we make money we would never have gotten if we bet.

I read the other replies and agree if the player does not raise preflop it is ok to check fold the flop. I think my play gets questionable on the turn. But I don't think 5 players would make it there if I raise preflop and bet out on the flop with my normal table image. And if I get HU on the turn or river I like my chances better.

Redd
06-15-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of my students......

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

And I'm a bit of a puss, but I'd try to get a freebie on the flop with bottom pair against 5 people.

PuckNPoker
06-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Personally, I think the flop and turn are -EV chip spewing. The river is just icing on the cake.

Is the flop bet for value? Protection?

On the turn, nobody has improved, and you have a ton of callers from the flop, what is the purpose of that bet?

River, well if you were beat, you were beat before now most likely.