PDA

View Full Version : How are we playing these flops?

private joker
06-15-2005, 03:07 AM
Assume an unknown, typical Party 3/6 Villain.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Js, 4c.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 5 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.33 SB) Ad, 9s, Tc (2 players)
Hero bets

Right? Is this standard? I'm folding to a raise, and usually giving up if called unless I improve on the turn.

The reason I post this stupid question is that I asked Jason_t on AIM if it was standard and he said "noo" and then fell off the face of the earth before much discussion.

Is Jason a nit or am I a LAG?

dealer_toe
06-15-2005, 03:09 AM
I suck from the blinds, that being said, yea I'd do it.

einbert
06-15-2005, 03:10 AM
I think this is the correct play.

jgorham
06-15-2005, 03:16 AM
Seems standard to me. That ace on the board has a pretty profound psychological impact on a lot of players. I have found they are less likely to chase with an A on board than with any other flop, and you should be able to take this pot down > than one time in three.

Chris Daddy Cool
06-15-2005, 03:58 AM
jason_t is a nit. i don't always bet these flops for the sake of my shania, but if you never bet this flop in your poker life, you're missing out.

aK13
06-15-2005, 04:05 AM
I think betting these flops strongly depends on the texture of the board. I don't like it here, though, as there are a couple ways this board could hit villain. I'd do it on K 7 4, though, and I bet everytime I catch any piece of the board typically (flush draws, pairs)

What do u typically do if he calls? Fire again? or check/fold?

Justin A
06-15-2005, 04:05 AM
It depends on the limper here. AT9 flops hit a lot of hands that he'll have if he's a reasonable player, so I'm probably not going to be betting.

private joker
06-15-2005, 04:12 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />

What do u typically do if he calls? Fire again? or check/fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I answered this in the OP. If he calls, I'm done with the hand (usually) unless I improve.

jason_t
06-15-2005, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Assume an unknown, typical Party 3/6 Villain.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Hero bets

Right? Is this standard? I'm folding to a raise, and usually giving up if called unless I improve on the turn.

The reason I post this stupid question is that I asked Jason_t on AIM if it was standard and he said "noo" and then fell off the face of the earth before much discussion.

Is Jason a nit or am I a LAG?

[/ QUOTE ]

private joker (10:50:06 PM): hey
jason_t (10:50:44 PM): hi
private joker (10:50:53 PM): is this a standard play for you?
private joker (10:50:54 PM): Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Hero bets
jason_t (10:51:10 PM): noo
private joker (10:51:43 PM): you don t think he folds 1/3 of the time?
jason_t (10:52:12 PM): too many cards in the playing rnage
private joker (10:52:55 PM): i disagree
private joker (10:52:59 PM): it is difficult to hit a flop
private joker (10:53:35 PM): and here is an unknown open limper who could have anything... K8o, Q7s, etc.
private joker (10:53:54 PM): the ace is a scare card. i can safely fold to a raise
private joker (10:54:28 PM): because i have jack high and i can t improve much
jason_t (10:56:31): Yes it's hard to hit flops. A72 yes but not that one. Leave it.

To elaborate, there are flops I will bet here. This usually isn't one of them. It depends on villain, of course.

Chris Daddy Cool
06-15-2005, 04:17 AM
actually i just thought this was a random Axx board, didn't see it was this coordinated. I just assumed it was more ragged.

I'd still bet here some of the time, but my frequency would be less here than it would be on a more ragged flop.

Hoi Polloi
06-15-2005, 10:43 AM
I'd play it if I had CDC's avatar.

That being said, this is not a great board for the hand as many have pointed out. I would probably let it go.

If I am going to play, I would always c/r HU. I would c/r with AT and I would c/r with this crap hand. Increases fold equity substantially unless villain has A or strong draw. If I'm called I done.

Jeff W
06-15-2005, 10:46 AM
I don't bet an AT9 board against an unknown. Too likely that it hit his hand or he will peel one off with as little as an inside straight draw. I do not think we win the pot 1/3.33 times with a flop bet.

Stinkybeaver
06-15-2005, 10:50 AM
jason_t (10:52:12 PM): too many cards in the playing range

I like this, Lots of cards or draws that he will call with here. Thus the raise might not be good &gt;1/3 of the time.

brettbrettr
06-15-2005, 10:51 AM
I like a bit of a read on the villan. I'm also more inclined to take stabs at more raggy flops than this one.

You said you're continuing if you improve on the turn....what if the board get scarier, ie, another ace falls? You continuing then? To me that's an easier bet than another ten popping off b/c villan is less likely to give you credit for betting second pair.

MHarris
06-15-2005, 11:02 AM
I like the play, but there are certainly better flops on which to do this. Generally, I do this on pretty uncoordinated flops, preferably with only one high card.

jason_t
06-15-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
jason_t (10:52:12 PM): too many cards in the playing range

I like this, Lots of cards or draws that he will call with here. Thus the raise might not be good &gt;1/3 of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's basically my point. It's all about the texture of the flop. I don't think this is a good one to poke at.