PDA

View Full Version : "Everything Happens For a Reason"

private joker
06-15-2005, 01:29 AM
"Everything Happens For a Reason"

Why do people over the age of 12 still say this? I continually hear this nonsense from the mouths of naive and deluded adults, yet it never fails to mystify me.

If they mean that due to natural laws, all changes in matter are physical reactions to equal actions, then yes technically everything does happen for a "reason," e.g. the reason the ball hit the ground is I dropped it.

But that's not what they mean. They mean some cosmic reason to life events. I even hear atheists say this. It really has nothing to do with predestination or theological determinism. Most people actually seem to just think that sh[/i]it doesn't just happen.

Who are you people, and what are you talking about? Come forward and explain yourselves!

jaxUp
06-15-2005, 01:33 AM
It allows them to find comfort when crappy things happen. If not everything happens for a reason, then there is no good that comes of some things, and that is upsetting to a lot of people.

x2ski
06-15-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Who are you people, and what are you talking about? Come forward and explain yourselves!

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll come forward as long as God wills them to come forward.

manpower
06-15-2005, 01:41 AM
I'm pretty sure quite a few churches teach that 'everything happens for a reason' because it's all part of the 'master plan'. That said, I still here this from my very religious mom.

AngryCola
06-15-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I even hear atheists say this.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not suprising.
Most atheists are extremely misguided.

Personally, I have no clue.
Maybe everything does happen for a reason.
Then again, it might not.

But I'm always very skeptical of anyone who says they know something like that for sure.
It shows they have been deluded into thinking they 'understand' reality.

toss
06-15-2005, 01:53 AM
It allows them to cope with tradegies. Why do you care so much?

Dynasty
06-15-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people just don't like it when others have different beliefs than they do. So, they feel the need to ridicule those beliefs.

Edge34
06-15-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people just don't like it when others have different beliefs than they do. So, they feel the need to ridicule those beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

And, it seems, a great deal of those people find their way to these forums... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

private joker
06-15-2005, 01:59 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />

But I'm always very skeptical of anyone who says they know something like that for sure.
It shows they have been deluded into thinking they 'understand' reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you have to admit the burden of proof falls upon those who say "everything happens for a reason" rather than upon those who deny that everything happens for a reason, right?

If you assert Santa Claus exists and I say he doesn't, the burden of proof is on you. Same here. Someone who denies that everything happens for a reason is not claiming to understand reality without question -- but someone who says that everything does happen for a reason IS claiming that.

Am I understanding your post?

private joker
06-15-2005, 02:02 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true of me, and it's arrogant of you to imply it.

Alobar
06-15-2005, 02:06 AM
Usually this is the cry of the religious.

Basicall I think it boils down to peoples need to feel like they have control over [censored]. Since in life we have ZERO control over pretty much anything, this saying is a way to kinda negate that and somehow put order into chaos and make the vunerable puny little human able to function again. People just cant cope with how frightening existance is if its truly just chaoctic.

toss
06-15-2005, 02:06 AM
I think he reached this conslusion with the seemingly angry tone in your post.

humdinger
06-15-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true of me, and it's arrogant of you to imply it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you are the one who implied it.

krazyace5
06-15-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you'll grow out of video games

[/ QUOTE ]

Never!!!

Also just want to add

Everything happens for a reason.

krazyace5
06-15-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Basicall I think it boils down to peoples need to feel like they have control over [censored]. Since in life we have ZERO control over pretty much anything, this saying is a way to kinda negate that and somehow put order into chaos and make the vunerable puny little human able to function again. People just cant cope with how frightening existance is if its truly just chaoctic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most religious people believe that they have a predestined path or that God has planned everything for them, how does that make them feel more in control of their life?

Alobar
06-15-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most religious people believe that they have a predestined path or that God has planned everything for them, how does that make them feel more in control of their life?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they can then take comfort in the fact that "everything happens for a reason". And they still feel like they have control (they can pray harder, go to church more, etc etc.), and even then its some benevelant God whos looking out for them, thats more comforting than complete chaos.

einbert
06-15-2005, 02:22 AM
The bottom line is:

Most people are stupid, moronic sheep who believe whatever helps them sleep at night.

Doesn't seem too complex to me.

private joker
06-15-2005, 02:22 AM
I was really hoping this thread wouldn't involve much discussion of religion, since I think that's a totally different matter. Sure, religious beliefs can inform whether or not you believe EHFaR, but the way I hear most people apply EHFaR, they are using it divorced from a religious context.

Mike Gallo
06-15-2005, 02:23 AM

1) Everything happens for a reason and a purpose

2) There is no such thing as failure

3) Whatever happens, take responsibility

4) It's not neccessary to understand everything to use everything

5) People are your greatest resource

6) Work is play

7) Theres no abiding success without commitment.

All lies, yet hidden truths.

AngryCola
06-15-2005, 02:23 AM
If you claim Santa exists, you should be expected to provide reasons and facts to back up your assertion.

I don't see why the opposite (he doesn't exist) would have to be any different.
Would it simply be because you were trying to prove something that went against common perception?
Otherwise, all I see are two assertions which should both be backed up with reasons, facts, and logic.

Unfortunately, I don't believe humans understand the universe and reality well enough to determine the answer to the question, "Does everything happen for a reason?"
Sure, you can say the evidence and logic leans one way more than the other.
But with so many unknowns, it's impossible to come up with any sort of legitimate answers to these types of questions.

I think, for the most part, you just have to let people believe whatever they want to believe.
Life is short, the universe is complex, and we still don't understard either as much as most of us like to believe we do.

That's my take on it, anyway.

AngryCola
06-15-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is:

Most people are stupid, moronic sheep who believe whatever helps them sleep at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

You understand all things?

I'm not surprised. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

einbert
06-15-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is:

[/ QUOTE ]

You understand all things?

I'm not surprised. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I only know enough about reality to know that I know nothing.

But I do happen to believe that I understand people to some degree.

private joker
06-15-2005, 02:34 AM

I think, for the most part, you just have to let people believe whatever they want to believe.
Life is short, the universe is complex, and we still don't understard either as much as most of us like to believe we do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this, and it's a point worth making. Of course, if someone believes that all blacks and Jews are evil, I'm going to take issue with that belief and ridicule them for having it, because it implies ignorance on their part, and ignorance is open to ridicule.

As for the Santa Claus analogy, I don't think a person who denies it really has much to prove. We've come a long way with intelligence in the human brain, and some things become self-evident once you're aware of the state of the world. Things like gravity, death, companionship, and the impossibility of things like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and -- figuratively -- pink elephants.

Other things are more elusive and invite debate on both sides. Obviously the existence of God is one, apparently evolution is another (though that seems silly to me). But not everything requires proof on both sides of a debate. There are some issues where the burden of proof should fall on one side, and EHFaR feels like one of them to me.

That's my take on it, anyway.

nothumb
06-15-2005, 02:36 AM
I would put this pretty low on my list of things to get worked up about.

NT

wacki
06-15-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, especially if a loved one says this.

private joker
06-15-2005, 02:41 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. But

1) You don't want to hear about everything people get worked up about, so it's a process of selective bitching.
2) Not everything we post is something we get that worked up about; it could just be something we get minorly worked up about, or something we think makes for interesting conversation.

nothumb
06-15-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree, especially if a loved one says this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say I would necessarily agree with it, my point is simply that letting the silly ontological errors of most people get you upset is a great way to make your life shorter and more miserable.

Obviously I couldn't love anyone stupid.

NT

AngryCola
06-15-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As for the Santa Claus analogy, I don't think a person who denies it really has much to prove. We've come a long way with intelligence in the human brain, and some things become self-evident once you're aware of the state of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but remember that there are reasons these things become viewed as clearly false.
(edited to remove the use of "self-evident" for the nits)

One uses logic and reasoning abilities to deduce there is no Santa.

"That's Mom's handwriting!"

I'm out, joker. Enjoy!

rmarotti
06-15-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That said, I still here this from my very religious mom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do all religious moms suck at English?

private joker
06-15-2005, 04:34 PM

Do all religious moms suck at English?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine this is true, but you never know. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

EliteNinja
06-15-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for the Santa Claus analogy, I don't think a person who denies it really has much to prove. We've come a long way with intelligence in the human brain, and some things become self-evident once you're aware of the state of the world. Things like gravity, death, companionship, and the impossibility of things like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and -- figuratively -- pink elephants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah?! Prove that gravity exists! Perhaps gravity is nothing more than a mysterious pulling force that draws us to the center of mass of things. j/k

[ QUOTE ]
you'll grow out of video games.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe that I have grown even more INTO video games. Or video games have grown WITH me.

One thing I wonder about religions which involve a "master plan"; Why do they need to pray if God already has a Master Plan?

If God cannot deviate from the master plan, what use is it to try to influence the future by praying? After all, all future events are predetermined by the master plan.

Emmitt2222
06-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Divine providence.

Once again, I am glad that people here lump everyone who believes in this into one category of stupid indoctrinated morons.