PDA

View Full Version : well, nor cal sucks anyways.....

Sponger15SB
06-14-2005, 11:56 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050615/ap_on_re_us/california_quake

CRESCENT CITY, Calif. - A major earthquake struck Tuesday night about 80 miles off the coast of northern California, prompting a tsunami warning along the Pacific coast.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 7.0-magnitude quake struck at about 7:50 p.m. southwest of the coastal community of Crescent City, according to the U.S. Geological Survey Web site.

A tsunami warning was in effect from the California-Mexico border north to Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

Residents were being evacuated from low-lying areas of Crescent City, KCBS radio reported.

Jeff W
06-14-2005, 11:58 PM
[censored].

A tsunami warning is in effect from the California-Mexico border all the way north to Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

Sponger15SB
06-14-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored]. Do I need to be worried down here in sunny SD?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, my first thought is that even if there was a massive sized tsunami like the one in asia we would most likely be fine because of point conception.

ThaSaltCracka
06-14-2005, 11:59 PM
this will be tense for a while. If something bad happens, will the world give us billions?

CallMeIshmael
06-15-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this will be tense for a while. If something bad happens, will the world give us billions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure, the world with offer like 40k. Then there will be a massive outrage. Then, it will gradually work its way up.

ThaSaltCracka
06-15-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure, the world with offer like 40k. Then there will be a massive outrage. Then, it will gradually work its way up.

[/ QUOTE ]you are optimistic.

jason_t
06-15-2005, 12:07 AM
If I die, please let Mischa Barton know that I love her and tell her I'm sorry that we couldn't spend more time together.

mason55
06-15-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul Rusesabagina: There will be no rescue, no intervention for us. We can only save ourselves.

stanky
06-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Can I have all your bankrolls? God forbid of course /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though how long does it take for a tsunami to travel 80 miles?

SpearsBritney
Cool, our very own tsunami! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tdarko
i guess its good i am in connecticut right now then.

BusterStacks
06-15-2005, 12:14 AM
hey sponger, if you die can i have your bankroll? I could probably buy a nice dinner with it if I tipped lightly.

eastbay
06-15-2005, 12:15 AM
My pregnant wife is over on the SF peninsula. I'm trying to keep this in perspective but this is kind of scary.

eastbay

tbach24
06-15-2005, 12:16 AM
I hope everything turns out good.

wacki
06-15-2005, 12:19 AM
I hope it's one of these:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2000/mega_tsunami.shtml

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 12:21 AM
warning canceled according to 1010 WINS NY

offTopic
06-15-2005, 12:21 AM
Holy crap (this from the USGS website). I'm used to feeling a small-to-moderate shake, and then seeing something like the yellow one in SoCal:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/index_map.gif

This latest one takes up the whole top left corner!

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 12:22 AM
little inappropriate MOD.

jason_t
06-15-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope it's one of these:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2000/mega_tsunami.shtml

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Moderator(s) notified In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sponger15SB
06-15-2005, 12:25 AM
On the news a few minutes ago they actually said something like this...

"Please do not call 911 for imformation about this alert. The phone lines are jammed and people won't be able to get in with real emergencies"

Are people this [censored] dumb they actually do this? WTF

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 12:28 AM
They keep saying it's canceled on the radio in ny. (not a great source)

Is it?

wacki
06-15-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Asteroids, megatsunami's, and global warming are all very real and ignored threats. People are normally bored of scientific anomolies and therefore are often required to be scared into action.

mason55
06-15-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Asteroids, megatsunami's, and global warming are all very real and ignored threats. People are normally bored of scientific anomolies and therefore are often required to be scared into action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mega tsunamis are SUPER CUTE!

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eastbay's voiced his concern over his pregnant wife. probably not the time to followup with "Wow, I hope it's the most destructive Tsunami yet!"

That's all.

jason_t
06-15-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to NOAA the warning has not been cancelled yet.

jason_t
06-15-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to NOAA the warning has not been cancelled yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now it has.

NO TSUNAMI DANGER EXISTS FOR ALASKA - BRITISH COLUMBIA -
WASHINGTON - OREGON OR CALIFORNIA. HOWEVER SOME AREAS MAY
EXPERIENCE SMALL SEA LEVEL CHANGES. AS LOCAL CONDITIONS
CAN CAUSE A WIDE VARIATION IN TSUNAMI WAVE ACTION THE ALL
CLEAR DETERMINATIONS MUST BE MADE BY LOCAL AUTHORITIES.

tbach24
06-15-2005, 12:33 AM
Just out of curiousity, how much more powerful was the Perfect Storm (I understand how it was a combination of the hurricane, noreaster and low pressure) vs. a tsunami?

jason_t
06-15-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiousity, how much more powerful was the Perfect Storm (I understand how it was a combination of the hurricane, noreaster and low pressure) vs. a tsunami?

[/ QUOTE ]

A tsunami that hit the coast, especially an urban area, would be incredibly far more destructive due to the kinetic energy contained in a moving wall of water.

wacki
06-15-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Wow, I hope it's the most destructive Tsunami yet!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though this will be true, do you realize how much of an understatement this is?

tbach24
06-15-2005, 12:37 AM
Powerful, not destructive.

I like the new avatar btw

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Wow, I hope it's the most destructive Tsunami yet!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though this will be true, do you realize how much of an understatement this is?

[/ QUOTE ]

do you realize you were very insensitive?

---note, i'm not the sensitivity police; but you're changing the subject, or at least not acknowledging my sentiment.

and yes, I realize what an understatement this was. I learned a ton after the tsunami this winter (from you)

wacki
06-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Yes, I realize it was insensitive. I also realize that sensitive scientists tend to be ignored. I guess I went a little Zeno.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eastbay
06-15-2005, 12:53 AM
Appropriate avatar.

eastbay