PDA

View Full Version : Harvey Movie Review

Chris Daddy Cool
06-14-2005, 11:26 PM
Harvey (1950)
Starring James Stewart
Directed by Henry Koster

Who is Harvey? Utter nonsense, a skeptic might say, a figment of a madman's imagintion. But don't tell that to Elwood P. Dowd. Ask him who Harvey is and he'll politely greet you by giving you his card and inviting you to his table for a drink with him and his best friend, Harvey. Oh by the way, he Harvey just happens to be a 6'3" bunny that only Elwood can see.

The problem with Elwood, as lovable and amiable as he is, is that he is a social nightmare for his sister, who after years of torment of having a "crazy" brother, tries to get Elwood committed into a mental institution. While the world thinks he's crazy, Elwood manages to charm and capture the hearts of everyone he meets and convinces them that maybe we all need a six-foot tall bunny in our lives.

In easily one of James Stewart's finest performances, he plays Elwood to perfection with his usual charm and grace. One can't help but smile (at least I couldn't) as Stewart works the screen magically and has you believing maybe he does indeed see a life sized rabbit following him around.

Charming (perhaps I've used this word more than once but it really is the best description of the movie), touching, and funny, Harvey is a must see for any movie-goer.

SCORE: 9/10

NOTE: How am I doing in my reviews so far? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Chris Daddy Cool
06-15-2005, 04:21 AM
Somewhat of a bump.

But also after some reflection, this is *probably* my favorite James Stewart movie.

rmarotti
06-15-2005, 04:23 AM
The review's a little gushy but this is a pretty good movie. Please continue to ignore me.

youtalkfunny
06-15-2005, 04:47 AM
Keep 'em coming, I'm enjoying them.

I haven't seen Harvey yet. Imagine I will, some day.

toss
06-15-2005, 05:04 AM
Why don't they have movie scripts like these nowadays.

scrub
06-15-2005, 07:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
NOTE: How am I doing in my reviews so far?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you've got Tony Lane brushing up his resume, but you have been picking some great movies to review. How are you picking them out?

scrub

Chris Daddy Cool
06-15-2005, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NOTE: How am I doing in my reviews so far?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you've got Tony Lane brushing up his resume, but you have been picking some great movies to review. How are you picking them out?

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

just out of my dvd collection. whichever one i feel like watching and feel like writing about. so far i've only picked good/interesting ones because i dont' think anybody wants to read about a terrible movie on my first couple of go arounds at this.

Blarg
06-15-2005, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't they have movie scripts like these nowadays.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the movie were made today, Harvey would probably be popping a cap in someone's ass and making sure that Satan's son doesn't take over the earth. And, he'd have a girlfriend who just doesn't understand what a hero has to do.

Jersey Nick
06-15-2005, 09:48 AM
CDC, your reviews are great. I wish I had your DVD collection – it sounds like you’ve got some winners.

I do like Harvey, but I’d have to go with “Rear Window” for my favorite Stewart performance.

fnord_too
06-15-2005, 10:15 AM
It's been a long time since I have seen this movie but it has some great lines:

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."

"Years ago my mother used to say to me... 'In this world, Elwood, you must be Oh-so-smart, or Oh-so-pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant"

I need to pick this up.

My sister is the editor of the Mary Washington student paper. I can ask her if she will run some of your reviews if you want. (No money, I'm sure, just a by line.)

sfer
06-15-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Somewhat of a bump.

But also after some reflection, this is *probably* my favorite James Stewart movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Errr, have you seen Vertigo?

Alobar
06-15-2005, 10:48 AM
glad to see you are reviewing some kickass classic movies.

Harvey = teh pwn

Chris Daddy Cool
06-15-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Somewhat of a bump.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yes... and its a wonderful life, philedephia story, mr. smith goes to washington and rear window. those all probably better than Harvey, but they don't have to be my favorite.

Alobar
06-15-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Somewhat of a bump.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yes... and its a wonderful life, philedephia story, mr. smith goes to washington and rear window. those all probably better than Harvey, but they don't have to be my favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should check out the westerns he did if you like the old B westerns. They were some of the better ones made, and its cool to see him in a different role. I would specifically recommend "Night Passage" cuz its also got Audie Murphy in it, and he was kickass.

Blarg
06-15-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Somewhat of a bump.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what immediately came to my mind, too. I think Stewart is better in that, but I enjoy Rear Window more.

I've definitely always had a soft spot for Harvey, though.

Blarg
06-15-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's been a long time since I have seen this movie but it has some great lines:

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."

"Years ago my mother used to say to me... 'In this world, Elwood, you must be Oh-so-smart, or Oh-so-pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant"

I need to pick this up.

My sister is the editor of the Mary Washington student paper. I can ask her if she will run some of your reviews if you want. (No money, I'm sure, just a by line.)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's also another bit I just love, which was in the play, too, where someone is telling Stewart his lifelong dream, which goes something like, having his head in the lap of a beautiful girl, under a tree in the summer breeze, while she stroked his forehead with her hand and said, "Oh, you poor thing. You poor, poor thing!"

That completely busted me up. A real classic.