PDA

View Full Version : How could I have played this better?

drapes
06-14-2005, 10:15 PM
I'm in a 5+1 SNG at Euro right now, and Curtains is off crushing people at Scrabble, so here I am.

3rd hand of the tourney, BB is 15, I'm UTG with AdAh.
I raise to 65, 8 folds, 1 limper.
Flop is Jh, 5s, 7c.
I bet 90, and take the pot.

Now, I think I know what Curtains would say here, but would any of you reccommend slow-playing here? Also, I am pretty much terrible (though I think I am totally masterful and particularly skilled heads-up.)

Thanks.

Karak567
06-14-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Now, I think I know what Curtains would say here, but would any of you reccommend slow-playing here?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

drapes
06-14-2005, 10:18 PM
I like to pretend I know how to slow-play, but 'no slow-playing monster hands' and 'no bluffing on the flop' are my two big PF rules.

(

kiffl
06-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Push preflop, in a 5+1 you could get a lot of calls doing this.

Karak567
06-14-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like to pretend I know how to slow-play, but 'no slow-playing monster hands' and 'no bluffing on the flop' are my two big PF rules.

(

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some monsters that are correct to slowplay.

An overpair is not a monster.

Not bluffing on the flop is also a terrible move.

You need to make continuation bets on the flop, especially against one maybe two opponents when you have position. Especially if you have been showing a tight image.

drapes
06-14-2005, 10:33 PM
So AA isn't a "monster" on that flop?

And at my level of suck I'm so not slow-playing trip Jacks there either.

Karak567
06-14-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So AA isn't a "monster" on that flop?

And at my level of suck I'm so not slow-playing trip Jacks there either.

[/ QUOTE ]

My definition of "monster" is that you have the deck crippled and the chance of someone drawing to a better hand is slim to none.

So no, it's not a monster on that flop.

gasgod
06-14-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...Curtains is off crushing people at Scrabble, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, great. Another in a list of games I play that he can whip me at.

As to the hand, I think you played it fine. Sometimes your opponent has nothing, and you cannot take many of his chips. When this happens, just shrug and move on. Giving him a free shot at catching up to you is a mistake.

GG

drapes
06-14-2005, 10:47 PM
He'll never admit it, but he is twelve degrees of suck at Trivial Pursuit. Well, I can destroy him, but maybe he'd still topple regular non-genius types.

Gusti
06-14-2005, 11:17 PM
You crushed them mercilessly with your AA! Isnt a raise to 65 sort of big since youre not that afraid of getting callers ? I somehow like 45 better. Tell curtains I will crush him in chess next time around, Im already starting to readjust my sleep-schedule. How come hes still up anyways? And why did stupid german late night TV replace Family Guy by sex and the city? Lots of questions...

drapes
06-14-2005, 11:22 PM
I have rules on index cards that I must follow or risk bringing unbearable shame upon our house. The rule is to raise for no less than 3XBB. I like to top that. 45 would be the minraise there, and the house rule is that minraises are for p*ssies. It's only 1130p EST. He'll be up for a while. YOU WANNA PLAY ME, GERMAN-BOY?

Freudian
06-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Excellent username, sir.

drapes
06-14-2005, 11:25 PM
I am a lady. Mayhap I should change my userpic to reflect that fact better. Maybe some boobies will do the trick, eh?

Freudian
06-14-2005, 11:28 PM
I think a pee pee would work better since a picture of a woman as an avatar sends out the signal that the poster is a strong heterosexual male.

But the fascist moderators would probably use their iron fist of opression at the sight of a pee pee avatar.

Gusti
06-14-2005, 11:31 PM
time to chicken out and pretend to be off to bed

microbet
06-14-2005, 11:34 PM
I don't think checking the flop is usually makes the most money even when you are slowplaying a real monster, like top set on an uncoordinated board.

I don't know if this is optimal, but if I am slowplaying a well hidden monster out of position I will bet the flop, check/call the turn (if a better draw doesn't appear), and bet/hopefully reraise the river.

If the flop is very coordinated and I hit an absolute monster I will check the flop.

drapes
06-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Curtains is home and is throwing me off the computer. I'm going to look like myself and that's all there is to it. I did think Yugo was a very lovely lady for quite a long time. I REALLY AM A LADY, I TELL YOU.

Cunning Linguist
06-14-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Curtains is home and is throwing me off the computer. I'm going to look like myself and that's all there is to it. I did think Yugo was a very lovely lady for quite a long time. I REALLY AM A LADY, I TELL YOU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to know which one of you wears the pink wig in bed.

/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

YourFoxyGrandma
06-14-2005, 11:53 PM
So, you guys are doing it, then?