PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set vs. Board 4 flush on river

BarkingMad
06-14-2005, 10:14 PM
WA state 4/8 B&M. Typically loose passive game w/ occasional rock, but recently sat down, all new faces.

Hero is UTG+1 w/ 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls, button calls, small blind completes, button checks.

6 small bets in pot.

Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG bets, Hero raises, all fold to UTG who calls.

5 big bets in pot.

Turn is J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG calls.

River is K /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG bets, giving Hero 8:1 odds.

Smart fold? Or save pots not bets?

JoshuaD
06-14-2005, 10:36 PM
I call here. You're probably beat, but I think you're good 1/9 times. It's also valuable to get the read on the guy.

If you had a read on him, this could turn into a fold.

sy_or_bust
06-14-2005, 10:39 PM
You wouldn't be wrong to call these situations every time. If you have a read you can fold, but don't get in the habit. This is an easy bluff for even a passive player to stomach.

tytygoodnuts
06-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Definite call. A lot of people will try to bluff you here, don't let 'em get away with it.

BarkingMad
06-15-2005, 12:57 AM
After thinking for 10 - 15 seconds, I threw my set faceup into the muck (probably a miskake in and of itself).

UTG smiles and turns over A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Feeling like a slobbering retard, I mumble something like "nice bet" and recall Ed Miller's post about players who "fold too damn much".

Also, I think the manner in which UTG made his river bet should have been a tipoff (even though I didn't know the guy). He leaned forward, said "bet" in a slightly louder than normal voice, and snapped his two $4.00 stacks out in a somewhat aggressive fashion.

I normally don't place much emphasis on tells, but in retrospect it seems like a classic "strong means weak / weak means strong" signal.

Thanks for the input.

nepenthe
06-15-2005, 01:03 AM
You can either call or, in extremely rare spots, raise intending to fold to a 3-bet, but one thing you shouldn't do here is fold.