PDA

View Full Version : Discussion of the day thread...the check raise...

Mike Gallo
06-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Hey guys,

With the advent of the hand of the day theme, I decided to "jump the shark" and start a discussion of the day thread.

I would like to inaugurate the thread by discussing the check raise.

In Poker Gaming & Life by David Sklansky the author has an essay entitled

Check raising in Hold'em

He gives three reasons for the check raise

1) To get more money in the pot.

2) To knock people out.

3) To get free cards.

I will check raise when I have a hand like 33 and flop a set from ep. After I bet the flop I sometimes will call a raise, and then check raise the turn. Especially when the raiser/bet sits on my immediate left.

The author goes on to say ...There is not enough space in this essay to even begin to go into details of the correct check raising strategy in hold'em.

I would like to continue it in this thread..any takers??

DMBFan23
06-14-2005, 10:04 PM
2 times I've been able to check raise lately

1) after raising pf, getting cold called, and betting flop + turn, I can checkraise the river on certain boards almost always. this works best when there's a scare card on the flop, or on the river (something that would make me seemingly slow down with a marginal hand

2) betting the flop, getting raised, and checkraising the turn works almost every time too

One thing I would like to hear more about is HPFAPs notion that you should be betting good hands into PFRs on the flop and then checkraising them on the turn. I could see that getting you a lot of free cards when you semibluffed on the flop, and would set you up nicely for some turn semibluff checkraises, all mixed in with legit hands...seems interesting but I've never found the right opponents to use it against.

Mike Gallo
06-14-2005, 10:14 PM
One thing I would like to hear more about is HPFAPs notion that you should be betting good hands into PFRs on the flop and then checkraising them on the turn.

That concept tends to confuse me as well. I find myself check raising on the turn more often then the flop.

I think if I start to check raise more on the flop, aware players will be afraid to bet the flop and let me get to the turn cheaply.