PDA

View Full Version : First question of the month

Wildbill
01-13-2003, 11:55 PM
Sorry, said I would post an answer to a question on a regular basis but was a bit busy getting married (nothing important!). Anyways here we go. I have received a good number of questions and tried to answer them all. Some questions have been pretty good. I have received 4 that related to playing professionally so I thought I would address this here.

Question was: How can I know if I am ready to be a professional gambler?

Mason and David did a pretty good job talking about this in general terms in their book, but I go a bit farther. Best way for me to answer it is to think of a very simple principle. I get asked this all the time and I consistently say this: Don't get INTO the game, get AHEAD of the game. While I met plenty of pros and aspiring pros in Vegas, I met many more that were on this while in California playing a lot in the public cardrooms. People there always were talking about it. They would win big a month or two and then go "pro". Usually because they hated the jobs, traffic, pay, etc. Its normal to think that, but look at how they did it. They play at stakes they don't have a bankroll for, they just play out of their pocket. They run very well so they overestimate their potential hourly wage. They play mostly on weekends or during busy times when there are a lot of live players around. In sum its far too skewed.

So I suggest something different. Play ahead of the game. That means you have proven over time (at least a year) you can beat your standard game, whatever it might be. After that you will be able to move up, but don't. Another good principle is to continue to play at stakes that are lower than you think you could win at. Try to put your risk of ruin extremely low not so much to avoid being broke, but to avoid it being an issue for you. Very few players play better under pressure, almost all of us play better when we use all of our weapons and put money pressures aside. If you are short on bankroll in sports you tend to bet fewer games and give up bets on games that you had positive EV on. If you are short in poker you play tighter than you should and play with fear more than necessary. So the key is to play at stakes you are proven at and then plan on changing stakes very infrequently.

So you need to get a grip on your expenses and figure out what bet size you need to play at to sustain yourself comfortably. As an amateur by sticking to that bet size for a long time you will insure you get a full bankroll with plenty of money set aside for expenses. In this way you are comfortable with the game from day one, the game doesn't change, its your life away from the game that does. If you follow this I give you 10 times the chance of surviving compared to the thousands that try every year and fail. They don't necessarily fail because of lack of skills, they fail because of insufficient bankroll and all the problems that causes. If you plan on lasting and doing well, you would best be advised to follow along. Of course there is much more to cover, but this is the most important place to start. If you fit this profile, the rest is a lot easier as you will have already proven your skills and have the resources you need to make it.

vegasone
01-14-2003, 04:51 AM
congratulations on getting married, WB. a +ev move.

a corollary i've learned over the years: gambling is about money, not pride. be humble. be realistic. play where you can win, not where you want to win.

Clarkmeister
01-14-2003, 01:38 PM
In any form of gambling, detailed record keeping over a prolonged period is essential. Its amazing how few people do this one simple thing.

Big Al
01-14-2003, 01:45 PM
I think most people dont do this because it would show they are losing in the long run. My sense is most people tend to remember their wins more than their losses and think they are winning over time when they are actually losing. I agree, one must keep a record to accurately know how they are doing and what they may be doing right or wrong.

Teddy
01-14-2003, 02:34 PM
Bookeeping is definitely important, but I am not sure what info to keep records of? What would you guys include in your sheet, and what am I missing, or including that I shouldn't be?

NBA: I keep Home vs. Away, Date, Spread I bought, unit, result, and a running tally for the season.. I also keep a little comment column ie: no Shaq, McGrady leaves 2nd qtr etc..

Thanks for any comments.

Wildbill
01-14-2003, 05:23 PM
Don't take too much unless you are doing it in a database format which allows you to sort it out well. Too much info and you start to miss what is important. I think amount and who you bet (home/road, dog/favorite) are the most important for people to get into because most lesser and beginning players have a weakness that they don't realize leaks a lot of money. If you can isolate it and change your habits you are clearly getting yourself ahead of the game. Usually early in one's career the player will realize that road favorites are a really tough category to beat and just avoiding them or cutting back half their plays on them will get them far ahead of where they were. Others have problems with their variable bet sizing and many finally come to the conclusion to just flat bet as I did ages ago. Things like that you should be able to judge from your records. Don't worry too much about what happens in the game because breaks are just that, they go either way and should in time level off. And yes recordkeeping is usually shunned by losers, they have no problems filling up their log on a winning streak, but losing streaks and they "forget" to log the losing days. After all who wants to keep a book of failure around?