PDA

View Full Version : Party Steps

primate
06-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Which do you play? Mini Steps, Steps, or Higher Steps? Which is more profitable and Why? and which level do you normally buy in at?

Any success stories? I personally have bought in to the mini steps 1 for $6 and made it to Step 4 placing 3rd 3 times!! closest i came to making it through to 5 was my 66 all in with AQo and villian hit his Q on the river. I'm currently pegged back to Step 1 again.

I mainly play these for fun. Should they be taken more seriously?

fluke17
06-15-2005, 03:59 PM
I have had a lot of success in these - have to say I prefer to buy in at the second level, but I cheaped out in the higher steps and bought in at level 1. I have won a wsop package starting out with level 2 entries (about 10), a regular step $4500 level 5 win from level 2 on my second entry, and a $15000 second in higher steps starting with my first $33 entry from step 1. Guess I should buy a lottery ticket as well and there are tunder storms in the city today so I better take cover.
Haven't posted much here, but I would like to thank all contributors for their valuable contributions.

Nottom
06-15-2005, 04:10 PM
I don't think they are worth playing seriously unless you can buy into them at the top (or close to it).

If you are serious about your game then you likely run into one of 2 problems.

a) buying in at the lower levels is a waste of time.

b) you are a dog when you finally get to the money round.

You can be a very good low/mid SNG player, but you are still usually going to be a dog if and when you get to the top. So its just not a good deal if you are serious about the money. If you don't think you will be a dog, then you start to fall into the first category. The fact that some of the prizes are "freerolls" into smaller steps just makes it that much less appealing to buy-in anywhere other than Step 1 or Step 5.

Dallara
06-15-2005, 04:17 PM
I've had some success at the mini-steps (one third place mini 5 cash with about 5 buy-ins). I buy in at step 2. I guess I'd say I do them mostly for fun. One buy in usually lasts a long time (maybe 10 games on average). Although the bouncing up and down can get annoying. I also enjoy the opportunity to be completely aggro when you're down to say 5 players and 2 move on with 3 getting at least a rebuy.

Oh yeah, it's nice to see the difference in skill at the different levels. Step 2 and 3 are pretty much like any $20 SNG I normally play. Step 4's are a little tighter and the Step 5's are quite tough. The one where I cashed I was completely pwn3d on a BB hand, but managed to hang on to make some dough.

fluke17
06-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Hi Nottom,
I guess there could be a third category
3) you are somewhat risk averse, but don't feel that you are particularly outclassed in the higher levels.
In my case for instance, I have very little inclination in general to move up to a higher level regardless of BR - I am happy to be very successfull at the lower level.

Nato76
06-15-2005, 04:35 PM
First time I played the steps I won 4 straight in one night to win an entry to a regular step 5. I waited and couldn't get a step 5 started so I played it the next night. I waited for an hour and finally got a game in. Finished 5th and it paid top 4. I was pissed because I spent all that time and didn't win anything. I haven't played since. Maybe it was a fluke that I won 4 straight step tournies.

Nottom
06-15-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Nottom,
I guess there could be a third category
3) you are somewhat risk averse, but don't feel that you are particularly outclassed in the higher levels.
In my case for instance, I have very little inclination in general to move up to a higher level regardless of BR - I am happy to be very successfull at the lower level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose, although I would lump most of these people in with the "I just play for fun" folks.

PokerCat69
06-15-2005, 06:35 PM
I think the only way to take them seriously is if you can buy into step4 or step5. That would require a HUGE bankroll however so it doesn't seem pratical to most players.

jon462
06-15-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First time I played the steps I won 4 straight in one night to win an entry to a regular step 5. I waited and couldn't get a step 5 started so I played it the next night. I waited for an hour and finally got a game in. Finished 5th and it paid top 4. I was pissed because I spent all that time and didn't win anything. I haven't played since. Maybe it was a fluke that I won 4 straight step tournies.

[/ QUOTE ]
heh, i got to step 5 the first time i played the 2 tables (before 1 tables were availaable) and didnt cash also.. then I got to step 5 on the 1 tables when firt introduced and didnt cash, I feel your pain. lol.

Ive been playing ministeps past few days.. just to clear freerolls first then trying.. gawd step 2-4 they are freaking rocks, you have to adjust your game a bunch.. im getting 9 people going' to 100/200 blinds at ministep 3 frequently, and i see people making laydowns that just wouldnt be made even at the 100/9s..

i keep getting stuck at ministep 4 tho /images/graemlins/frown.gif so i think i am prollyw asting my time (although not much money lol - even tho im buying into ministep 2s.. the 1s are a complete waste of time)

Newt_Buggs
06-15-2005, 08:52 PM
I recently opened a party account so that I can play around in some of the steps. I am playing them mostly for fun and don't think that they are as good of an investment as playing $50 SnGs for me. One advantage though is that I would really like to play some of the higher tournaments against better players. Multitabeling has a tendency to conform your mind and play ABC poker which is a bad habit to get into.

future
06-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Are these things worth the time or should one just play the regular STTs? They look like get rich quick schemes that aren't worth the time. However, I could be wrong as I have no experience with them.

wmspringer
06-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Just started playing these...I'm playing under the assumption that it's not at profitable as playing regular SnGs (since I don't expect to cash) but moving up lets me play at a level I wouldn't normally be comfortable buying in at.

Freudian
06-15-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are these things worth the time or should one just play the regular STTs? They look like get rich quick schemes that aren't worth the time. However, I could be wrong as I have no experience with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't worth the time from a $ perspective. But I find them a cheap and entertaining way to goof around to round out a night of playing.

Skipbidder
06-15-2005, 11:16 PM
I've started playing the Rounders at Aztec (Prima Poker skin). They don't seem to be such rake traps as Party.

You don't actually get freerolls into the higher levels, but rather tokens you can use to play at any level. I've been mostly playing repeatedly at step 3 (out of 5).
I've only played three of the step 5s (one 3rd, one 4th, and a 6th...with is a $500 and $800 cash--would be down $515 if I bought in directly for $605 per tournament, but still okay).
I bought in for about 10 of the step ones (which are $5.50). I don't know how many "freeroll" tourneys I have played along the way, since I can't pokertrack them. Without knowing that, I can't really tell you how much of a "success" story it is.

They now have started "Maxi-steps" for four times the buyin.

jon462
06-15-2005, 11:37 PM
im playing ministep 5 right now.. is comeonphish a 2+2er? he's the only name on the tlb, and i recognize his name from somewhere..

any quick advice? lol

adanthar
06-15-2005, 11:43 PM
The new Highers are definitely worth it to buy into from Step 1, I think. However, I'm not sure how worth it. I'd have to play them on a speculative basis and I don't have the time this summer.

microbet
06-16-2005, 12:00 AM
Why the hell don't they put a description of the payout of each step on the page on partypoker.com about the damn steps?

Why can't you see the payouts when you lauch PP and select the game?

Idiots!

I'm just griping. I will use the search function and find the description of the Step Higher payouts on 2+2.

If I decide to try a few, I'll thank you in advance for wasting a whole lot of my time adanthar.

Nottom
06-16-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Why the hell don't they put a description of the payout of each step on the page on partypoker.com about the damn steps?

Why can't you see the payouts when you lauch PP and select the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm ... they do.

destroBU
06-16-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

http://www.partypoker.com/news/events/steps-challenge-04.html

Bob L
06-16-2005, 01:00 AM
I am to the point that 90% of my play is at mini step 5.I just buy right into the step 5.It is very top heavy but becuase they pay top 5 -I find it hard not to get into some sort of money.So far it has been extremely successful for last month..-touch wood.

Skipbidder
06-16-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am to the point that 90% of my play is at mini step 5.I just buy right into the step 5.It is very top heavy but becuase they pay top 5 -I find it hard not to get into some sort of money.So far it has been extremely successful for last month..-touch wood.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might find that you do even better in them if you don't spending so much time touching wood.