PDA

View Full Version : Computer for cripplied friend

Pinga
06-14-2005, 07:44 PM
I have a young friend whose neck got squashed by a truck.

He has minimial use of one arm and some use (but not a lot) in the fingers. He can think and talk just fine and he is relatively smart.

He asked me if I could get him online.

I have a Dell laptop to give him (prob. a p3 w 256 and 10-20gb drive).

I noticed some of you guys use voice s/w and the small keyboard was interesting.

Any suggestions?

Dazarath
06-14-2005, 07:58 PM
I have not tried either of these products; I have only heard of them either on this board or elsewhere. I heard a few posters use the Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition software. Some people seem to like it just to reduce strain on their wrists and whatnot. For your friend, it may be helpful. (Only the expensive version allows voice activated macros, though). Also, I remember someone mentioning some type of device that let you control the pointer with your eyes or something. I can't remember what it was called though.

Shajen
06-14-2005, 08:00 PM
I don't have any suggestions for you, but this is a good thing you are doing for your friend man.

Good stuff.

MelchyBeau
06-14-2005, 09:33 PM
I really have no clue if this would be good for him. I am not sure what 'some use of his hand' really means. But I am guessing you are saying that his other hand and arm are pretty much useless

this thread was posted in OOT recently about a one handed keyboard. link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2629936&page=3&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

also a trackball/touchpad would probably be a good option for him.

I really have no other suggestions. Although I did see this cool thing on Discovery Science channel, where they hooked up electrodes to a persons brain and he was able to use a computer, very simple computer, but none the less it seemed very interesting that they were able to use signals directly from his brain to move a mouse and click and such.

Melch

Pocket Trips
06-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Great Job on helping your friend out.. but if he has use of one hand and is able to type at all with it.. encourage him to use a normal keyboard.

Due to cerebral palsy I only use one hand to type and my typing speed is better than most people I work with who have the use of both.. It took me years of physical therapy to be able to do this but it was well worth all the one finger pecking i went thru till I learned to use all 5 fingers on one hand to type.

Yes the Americans with disabilities act says employers are supposed to make reasonable accomodations for disabled people such as the devices you mentioned but in all honesty a person has to be a really superior candidate for a job for an employer to shell out $$$ for one employee..

If he really can't type at all with either hand, then by all means help him learn to use whatever devices are necessary to help him lead a normal life, but if at all possible encourage him to be as "normal" as possible