PDA

View Full Version : Poker books

01-13-2003, 08:37 PM
Hi,
I play poker (holdem) about 1.5year, and have some experience, but it was only home games, and some small torunaments. Now, I'm goiung to learn more about poker so i decided to buy some books, what would you advice me? I know that i have to buy HPFAP, what else? (maybe something about lowlimit cause im going to start play it online)

JoeyT
01-14-2003, 07:47 PM
You probably want to check out the Lee Jones book called Winning Low Limit Holdem. That's a great one for some loose games online.

Binkus
01-14-2003, 07:51 PM
A fairly good low limit book is "low limit holdem by Lee Jones" his advice plays well in the loose passive games often found at the lower limits. If you plan on playing any live games Mike caros book of tells as an excelent book. I have also heard that the Therory of poker by Slansky is a most have but I havent read it yet. Its in the mail still

Andy B
01-15-2003, 01:48 AM
Get Theory of Poker. I'd also recommend Feeney's book and Mason's Essays books. The original Hold'em Poker by Sklansky is worth having. Brier/Ciaffone is pretty good, although in certain kinds of situations, if you fold as much as they recommend in games against regular opponents, you're liable to get run over. I haven't read the most recent edition of the Jones. The original edition left something to be desired. There has been some advice from the second edition quoted here that I find to be suspect.

bernie
01-15-2003, 03:42 AM
im not a big fan of TOP being a beginners book. i think it can be confusing to a beginner. HPFAP you can read, but you may not get as much out of it if you dont understand the foundations that some of the concepts are built on.

id get jones, kreiger, sklansky some beginning holdem book and make sure you understand the basic plays....it may not even take you that long, but at least study them a little. then move to the more advanced books...

b

rigoletto
01-15-2003, 06:21 AM
I think Gary Carson's low limit hold'em book is a good starting point before you get into the more complicated ones like TOP.

Jason Pohl
01-15-2003, 06:28 AM
If your top priority is picking easier to follow, beginner books, then your top 2 choices should probably be Lee Jones Low Limit Hold'Em Edition 1 (Edition 2 is too loose aggressive Preflop in my opinion) and Hold'Em Poker by David Sklansky. It's not that they are elementary, just that they're built for beginners trying to break even or win a bit more than their share of money, especially in No Fold'em Hold'em.

If your goal is to become an intermediate player and beyond, then Theory of Poker is perfect. Yes, it's harder, but that's because it's more advanced. Nobody ever said being a winner would be easy. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Hope that helps,

--Jason