PDA

View Full Version : The river bet/fold move.

Sinnister
06-14-2005, 05:34 PM
I notice alot of you when anazlyzing plays advise the bet fold/move.

Is this a stand play for top pair decent kicker? As I feel my default play on all but the strongest top pair hands is check call.

thejameser
06-14-2005, 05:38 PM
i will never give up an entire pot for just one more bet. also, generally speaking there is no such thing as a default play in poker. a lot of small stakes players miss river value bets. it just depends on the many variable involved in the game.

Sinnister
06-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Could it be bet folds are done only on dangerous cards?

27offsooot
06-14-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i will never give up an entire pot for just one more bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice sucks. The OP is too vague. Thread over.

Sinnister
06-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Can i plz get some more feedback as I feel I am not value betting enough on the river and check calling way to many hands. When is it appropriate to check/call when bet/call and when bet/fold, as I have gotten many responses to hands that are bet/fold

ckessel
06-14-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As I feel my default play on all but the strongest top pair hands is check call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely bad, very bad, unless you can induce a bluff.

SSH says (my interpretation anyway):
Checking and calling allows your opponent to cheaply show down their weakest hands and charge you for their strong ones. You end up not making money when they'd call with their weak hands, and you end up losing the same when you bet and they call with a strong hand. You'll see them raise far less often with their powerhouse than they'll call with their middle pair, so betting out is easily +EV.

I tend to bet/call as many fish will bluff/raise the river with top pair and weaker kicker or bluff/raise when a flush falls. Yea, I'm easily <50% at showdown when I call the raise, but I'm good often enough that it's worth 1 bet to have a shot at the pot.

Klepton
06-14-2005, 08:10 PM
when you are going to bet/fold, say to yourself "i'm going to bet my TPGK, and if raised, i'm going to fold." don't let yourself get mindfuvked and call when you get raised anyway.

if you can't trust your opponent, and you can't lay TPGK down when you are sure you are beat, then check/call.

although this is bad advice, until one can psychologically bet/fold, check calling will save you a lot of grief.