PDA

View Full Version : Carpal/Tunnel post

Scuba Chuck
06-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Carpal/Tunnel post

I don’t view this as any kind of an achievement. Well, that’s not completely true. I’ve achieved a great deal of lost time delving into the poker world. If the number of posts I’ve made is any respect to how much I’ve learned, it’s not even close. Do you see why? I still look at myself from the outside looking in (must be a fishbowl thing). Yet I probably know more about this game than any other non-sports game I play. It’s also the most thrilling to me.

History: Shortened version: Found 2+2 in November, 2004. Found Aleo-guide in first week of December. Posted question after question. Asked questions to the detail so that I could understand and apply it. And got lucky. Whoala. Here I am.

I have been reported as a ‘good’ poster to search for past posts. This comment is far more a compliment to me, than a truth. I think I am a good poster, but not because I offer excellent advice, but because I ask good questions. I have rec’d PMs over the past few months from posters I’ve never seen post before, to frequent posters. Most of those PM’s have been thank you’s or encouragement messages. I would think the reason to search any of my past posts is more a result that you can literally see me “grow” as a poker/SNG player since January of this year. It’s been tough to check my ego at the door, admit making mistakes, reveal how stupid I can be. But I was willing to learn at any human/emotional expense.

Many posters have helped me a lot.
Eastbay – who probably singlehandedly pushed me to learn the most on the forum. It was early in February when I was asking for math answers and he said something like “Give a man a fish…” Anyway, thanks for pushing me to learn the math. This alone has helped me improve my game tremendously. It’s nice to be able to answer your own questions.

Here was his original comments:
[ QUOTE ]
In this case it may be that the answer is dominated by those estimates - those are the interesting poker problems. But I'm quite certain Scuba doesn't even know how to approach it, otherwise he wouldn't be asking these questions. So I'm trying to get him to ask the right questions, so that he can begin to see that this game isn't a disconnected infinite grab bag of "what do I do here" questions, but rather just a few principles, once mastered, that answer most questions one could reasonably ask, especially of these endgame situations.

[/ QUOTE ]
From this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1603658&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

Phil Van Sexton - who I think writes one of the more important pieces in the Aleo thread “How to beat the party $10+1.” I also take satisfaction in bringing him back to our forum (although no one knows this).

Forum discussions I’ve had with Irieguy, Adanthar, Citanul, Lorinda, and more I’m sure I have forgotten to name. We are lucky that you stick around to help us learn, and endure our stupidity.

But there is one poster who has made all the difference to me. No one has helped me more. I was lucky enough to meet him on a $22 table while he was being mentored by another poster here (December, '04). We were down to three players. There’s a monster stack (2+2 poster), a middle stack (me), and a small stack (villain). 2+2 poster folds, villain pushes allin, and I’ve got some crummy cards like 85o. It was not much more to call, and I wrote in the chatbox “should I call?” 2+2 poster responds that I’m getting 3:1 odds to call. I had no idea what that meant, but I figured it was good (Man I was such a fish).

Had I not gotten that game headsup, I don’t think we ever would have met. But, thanks NegativeEV. You’ve been an excellent teacher, and a good friend. He and I talk almost every day now via email, forum and the phone. And funny, we don’t have a clue what each other looks like.

One last thing. While looking for that Eastbay comment I ran across this old post of mine, which I still think is funny. It’s from an old STT poster, Bozeman.

[ QUOTE ]
In response to a thread titled: "new to Party SnG's, some advice"
Bozeman:
It seems like the proper modification of the system for party sng's would be:

1st 3 rounds: Raise allin with AA or KK
later: Raise allin if dealt more than 1 card

[/ QUOTE ]

Scuba Chuck
Good luck at the tables

the shadow
06-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Scuba,

Congrats! I've read a lot of posts. I've learned a lot from yours. Sometimes the most important thing is to ask the right question. You certainly have gotten a lot of good discussions going.

I remember the eastbay and bozeman posts in a Blade Runner kind of way. I wasn't even a lurker at the time, so they aren't really my memories in the sense of being part of the forum at the time, but I remember them from ploughing through a lot of posts.

The Shadow

octaveshift
06-14-2005, 05:14 PM
I've always found your posts to be incredibly helpful. Please continue to post with abandon.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SuitedSixes
06-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Great post.

wulfheir
06-14-2005, 05:22 PM
I always read the threads you are involved with and value your input.

I had no idea you were this new to 2+2. We found this forum around the same time. It gives me hope that with continued study I might be able to get my ROI in the positives some day.

PrayingMantis
06-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Congrats Scuba Chuck!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(Here's one more post in MY way to the Carpel/Tunnel.... or maybe there are some more stages in between that I'll have to go through, no? pooh-bah or something? /images/graemlins/frown.gif It will never happen this way. oh well /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

The Student
06-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Hey Scuba,

i don't think you give yourself enough credit. While you may feel greatly indebted to some of the forum gurus that you mentioned, some of the lurkers/occassional posters like myself owe a lot to you. Without your questions (which are always well formulated and presented in a good manner), mnay of us who are still learning what questions to ask would never reap the benefit of reading the gurus' responses to your questions. You do post more questions that then average forum member, but they are always good questions that push along the discussion - and I always find them interesting reads even if I don't feel like I have anything to contribute to the discussion.

If your new carpal/tunnel status represents anything, it represents your commitment to improving your game. And for that I congratulate you.

keep learning,

ts-

NegativeEV
06-14-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
villain pushes allin, and I’ve got some crummy cards like 85o. It was not much more to call, and I wrote in the chatbox “should I call?” 2+2 poster responds that I’m getting 3:1 odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOTE: The response to the question came AFTER the hand was over and Scuba had already made the correct call /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[ QUOTE ]
But, thanks NegativeEV. You’ve been an excellent teacher, and a good friend. He and I talk almost every day now via email, forum and the phone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats on the march to carpal/tunnel Scuba. It's been fun watching your progress (both in the forum and at the tables) and great to continue to learn the game on similar courses. Our discussions obviously continue to improve my game as well- many thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
And funny, we don’t have a clue what each other looks like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know why but I really find it funny when my wife is on the computer and an IM pops up and she says "It's Scuba Chuck". Names and faces are overated.

GtrHtr
06-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Scuba,

Thanks for your very honest and modest post. I think it, along with the many other posts you've made say a lot about the kind of person you are. Congratulations.

Gtr

zipppy
06-14-2005, 05:42 PM
From one minnesotan to another, Congrats! I always enjoy reading your posts, Scuba, and I hope to bump into you at a tourney at Canterbury sometime, or something.

>>>ZIPPPY

skipperbob
06-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Grats on "C/T" Scuba...You're always one of the most lucid posters (you & ForumBot)...HAGD /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ilya
06-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Welcome to Carpal /Tunneldom

Phil Van Sexton
06-14-2005, 09:44 PM
That's the post I was looking for. You've certainly motivated me to learn more, play better, and play more. Keep up the good work.

eastbay
06-14-2005, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Scoob.

eastbay

gasgod
06-14-2005, 10:31 PM
I have a short list of people whose posts I always read; your name is close to the top.

GG

wiggs73
06-14-2005, 10:39 PM
nice post scuba. i usually enjoy reading your posts and find them to be quite helpful. you're one of the many posters who have helped my SNG game a great deal in the short time i've been here. thank you.

wuwei
06-15-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's the post I was looking for. You've certainly motivated me to learn more, play better, and play more. Keep up the good work.

[/ QUOTE ]

That kind of sums it up for me too. Dammit, I need to work harder. Harder at learning and improving, not just harder at playing (which is the easy part). I thought about that quite a bit after we had lunch, but due to perceived time constraints my study time hasn't increased much. Clearly this is a big part of why you've become a successful player. Actually, this is a life lesson for me that one of these days I'll learn. I can't [censored] wait.

Nice post, man. That Eastbay quote is a classic. Good luck at the tables, and let's get together again soon.