PDA

View Full Version : Vonage- anyone use them?

krazyace5
06-14-2005, 04:43 PM
My phone company sucks, major rip. Anyway any feedback on Vonage?

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 04:47 PM
I use Lingo. It's a competing service that's cheaper. It works fine.

edit: And it's much easier toi install than Vonage. There's just a little box next to my PC.

ZBTHorton
06-14-2005, 04:52 PM
They are...okay....I wouldn't rave about my service...but it works.

cbfair
06-14-2005, 05:58 PM
I use Callvantage from AT&T. The price is right and the service is pretty good overall.

Mars357
06-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Lingo here... Mostly ok... occasional quality issues but great bang for the buck. Lingo was able to port my old number. Vonage said they couldn't and in fact, Vonage couldn't even get me a 512 area code.....bastages!

One feature of Lingo that I LOVE is virtual numbers. For five bucks you can set up a phone number in another area code (I have a second number that is local to my kids in Utah). They dial it like they were calling accross the street and it rings my phone in Texas... Sweet if you have a need for it. I don't know if Vonage has this feature or not.

Mars

krazyace5
06-15-2005, 12:36 AM
You have to buy a special modem for vonage, is that the case for lingo also and if so how much do they run?

x2ski
06-15-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to buy a special modem for vonage, is that the case for lingo also and if so how much do they run?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use Vonage and yes, you have to purchase a network router with a phone jack (mine's Linksys, and stacks perfectly on my Linksys wireless router, but I guess they send out Motorolas as well). I think it was like 30 bucks, which isn't a bad deal for a router anyway.

For $17 bucks a month, I think the service is great. The only drawback is the 911 service. Since you're calling via the Internet, your local 911 call center does not know your location. So if you're so wrecked that you can't talk and tell them where you are, you're pretty much screwed.

I understand that this issue will be resolved by the end of the year, so that's cool. Also, in the meantime I heard that you can just plug a regular phone into a regular phone jack and 911 works even if you do not have any phone service.

I should hook that up and give 'em a call to see if it works. I'll try to make it sound authentic, so they don't think I'm wasting their time.

I'll let you all know what I find out /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a little box that's like 5x5x2 that sits next to your PC. It's included at no cost, or at least that was the case when I signed up.