PDA

View Full Version : Playing the cube

mikelow
01-13-2003, 07:01 PM
How would you go on QQQ? long or short? and why?

Comments and thoughts appreciated.

GeorgeF
01-13-2003, 09:30 PM
Short
1) The companies are bogus.
2) The economy is going to hell in a hand basket.
3) Poor leadership in the US.
4) Endless war against Islam.
5) Do I need other reasons?

I did not short QQQ I am short SIVB DE MTG RGC. I own shares of BEARX. The only question I have is that if Greenspan can devalue the curreny stock prices might actually go up in dollar terms.

Wildbill
01-14-2003, 12:07 AM
Hell in a hand basket? Please where is your proof? You must be watching the news too much. Leadership isn't poor either, its looking out for the business and the investor class. While its not giving money away, its certainly more generous than anything seen in the last 10 years. As for bogus companies, you must be kidding. While a lot of companies have flamed out and give the impression of trouble, the companies in the QQQ these days are making money, maybe just not enough to justify their fundamentals. Still the market doesn't always trade on fundamentals.

The QQQ might be overpriced a bit, but I don't think shorting it is likely to make much or anything. The market has been so volatile that only if you trade in a very disciplined manner you probably will lose and could lose quite a bit.

GeorgeF
01-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Ok maybe I was exteme. I am not short QQQ. I listed all the short poistions I had. Let's see if W can keep the mortgage market from turning over.

"certainly more generous than anything seen in the last 10 years"
Maybe last 3 years.

Wildbill
01-14-2003, 05:16 PM
I base that from a simple perspective. The government hasn't been running at deficits like this in about a decade, that is pretty simply the priming of the pump they are doing, hence "generosity". It has little to do with specific policies, although cutting taxes is obviously a huge giveaway that hasn't existed for quite some time.