PDA

View Full Version : Bet out or Lay Low?

MtSmalls
06-14-2005, 02:37 PM
A friend and I disagreed about my play here, so I thought I would seek more input.

Scene: Hollywood Park, 4-8 game. This is a strap yourself in, rock and roll 4-8 game. There hasn't been a pot less than $100 in the last half hour, and not many less than $150. There are NO tight players at the table. I am in seat 2, and have just dropped $150 in the game, and rebought for another $100. (something like A-K suited catching the top pair top kicker, only to be run down by 10-6 suited catching runner runner). I know about the variance, but I'm thinking if I lose this rack, I'm done for the night. The only other character pertinent to the scenario is in the four seat. We'll call him Chip Spewer (CS). He has raised 4 hands out of 5 in the last hour, with as little as 8-7 suited (that I've seen).

The Hand: I'm now the BB and have 10-9 unsuited. CS makes it two bets, and the 6 seat makes it three bets. 7-8-9 all call three bets cold before the 10 seat folds. The SB calls 2.5 bets. I had thought to fold when he raised, but looking at table, I see I'm getting more than 8-1 on the call. So I call two cold, and CS makes the cap, everyone calls. 7 players, four bets each. I think this call was debatable, especially given my thoughts of "protecting" this rack.

The flop comes down 10-9-3 rainbow. I couldn't ask for much more. And here's where the disagreement starts: I bet out rather than looking to check raise. Its maybe 60-40 that CS is going to raise me, but 100% sure he'll bet if I don't. My thought is that my hand is the best right now, but no monster, and I want the rest of the field to face 2 bets, or get information from anyone else raising. My friend's thought is that check-raising gets one bet from everyone in the pot first, THEN forces them to face two bets. There is at least a 30% chance I would have the option of check-three betting, or continue to lay in the weeds and let CS three bet.

I still believe the straight forward play in this game is preferable.

Thoughts?

Rest of results in white:

<font color="white"> I bet, CS raises, four callers, I three bet, CS caps, everyone calls. Turn was a Jack to complete the rainbow. I again came out betting, CS raised, three callers, I called. River was a blank, I bet out again, got three callers including the Chip Spewer and MHIG. </font>

jba
06-14-2005, 02:44 PM
I think the pf call is pretty bad.

I definitely think you need to bet out here, and pray CS raises so you can 3-bet. You really need to make straight draws and hands like AT pay to draw out on you here.

I generally find straightforward hard and fast flop play is best in these nofoldem games when you have 2 pair or better.

sy_or_bust
06-14-2005, 02:49 PM
There is a problem with knocking people out on the flop, because you can't. In the game you're describing, everyone is going to call with any draw, overcards, or less. Betting out is normally best because CS faces the field with 2 bets, but in this case it shouldn't matter. You're going to have to dodge 3-4 hands to reach the showdown, IMO, and you may as well play for value on all streets. Betting out is clearly best though, as your hand is no monster multiway and knocking even a single player out is a good idea.

jba
06-14-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a problem with knocking people out on the flop, because you can't. In the game you're describing, everyone is going to call with any draw, overcards, or less. Betting out is normally best because CS faces the field with 2 bets, but in this case it shouldn't matter. You're going to have to dodge 3-4 hands to reach the showdown, IMO, and you may as well play for value on all streets. Betting out is clearly best though, as your hand is no monster multiway and knocking even a single player out is a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

i totally agree with everything you just said, but I want to add that even if we're not knocking out any draws we still want to pump as many chips into this pot as possible. our equity edge against 6 players here is giganstrous, and the chance to 3bet this flop is just WAAYYY too juicy to pass up.

jba
06-14-2005, 02:57 PM
i just read the results damn is that a big pot. you know as bad as the party .5/1 games are they are never this bad. these 40 BB pots that you see live are just friggin ridiculous.

oh, and I would have made it three on the turn against a chip spewer with all the extra padding. gets scary sometimes though dont it?

MtSmalls
06-14-2005, 03:26 PM
I thought briefly about making it three bets on the turn. I wasn't specifically worried about CS having a better hand (I watched him three bet the turn with a 10-high flush draw a few hands prior) but J-10, J-9, KQ and 7-8 were all very good possibilities in the hand. But I did have to value bet the river.

I managed to pick up pocket QQ on the very next hand, (while still trying to stack that monster pot), I won that hand too (trips on the turn) and between the two pots, stacked over $400..... I LOVE those games, but you have to strap in...