partygirluk
06-14-2005, 02:13 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/default.stm

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Yay.

tworooks
06-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Jamaican Asafa Powell set a new men's 100m record of 9.77 seconds at the Athens Olympic Stadium on Tuesday.

The 22-year-old bettered American Tim Montgomery's previous mark of 9.78, which he set at the Paris Grand Prix in September 2002, by 100th of a second.

The world record will be consolation for Powell, who had gone to the Athens Olympics as favourite only to trail home fifth behind winner Justin Gatlin.

Powell topped the 2005 world rankings but now goes into the history books.

The 22-year-old spoke confidently about surpassing Montgomery's mark after he clocked 9.84 - the joint-third fastest time in history - in Kingston last month.

And in calm conditions in Greece, Powell's promise paid off as he streaked home ahead of Ghana's Abdul Zakari and compatriot Michael Frater in record time.

Britain's Jason Gardener finished a disappointing ninth in 10.29 while Mark Lewis-Francis did not qualify for the final.

American Jim Hines became the first man to dip below the 10-second mark in 1968.

Since then the world mark has been lowered nine times - twice by nine-time Olympic gold medallist American Carl Lewis.

ive always wanted to do this for when someone only posted the link. woohoo

maryfield48
06-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Yardies rule!

Sponger15SB
06-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Over/Under on when he is stripped of this due to steriod use?

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yay.

[/ QUOTE ]

So glad we have someone to alert us to happenings in all the obscure pseudo-sports.

kerssens
06-14-2005, 02:44 PM
metre looks funnier when its pluralized.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-14-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah. Is this some soccer thing, or what?

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah. Is this some soccer thing, or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell is a metre anyway?

Tron
06-14-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yay.

[/ QUOTE ]

So glad we have someone to alert us to happenings in all the obscure pseudo-sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Are you serious? The 100 m dash is more of a sport than anything else, and it's hardly obscure.

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What? Are you serious? The 100 m dash is more of a sport than anything else, and it's hardly obscure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Racing isn't a sport. It's just competitive exercise. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And yea, I don't turn on my sports talk every morning and hear the latest 100m results on ESPN radio. Why? It's obscure. Why don't 100m runners make a ton of money like football players, etc? No one cares.

namknils
06-14-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The 100 m dash is more of a sport than anything else

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

I do think the 100 m dash is a legit sport, it's track and field. I'm kinda glad that this guy beat the record because Tim Montgomery was doping, although I'm not sure if it's been proven or not. Anyway, hopefully this new fast guy is clean.

Tron
06-14-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Racing isn't a sport. It's just competitive exercise. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And yea, I don't turn on my sports talk every morning and hear the latest 100m results on ESPN radio. Why? It's obscure. Why don't 100m runners make a ton of money like football players, etc? No one cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, there's no point in avidly following the 100 m dash circuit, but when it's broken, it's a pretty big deal... We have a new Fastest Man in the World.

namknils
06-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Jake,

Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson?? You don't know these guys? The only reason this guy is obscure to us is b/c he's from Jamaca.

Tron
06-14-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The 100 m dash is more of a sport than anything else

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I say this, I mean it's pure athleticism. There aren't any balls or referees or anything... Just the clock.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Also, Bradley Gohlke beat Chris Berry in the Pittsburgh Hot Shots archery competition for the third and final spot in this July's Great Outdoor Games in Orlando. It went down to the final speed challenge station, where Gohlke came from behind and won by fractions of a second after Berry hit a clutch 12-point shot from 40 yards out at the previous station. Wow. Three cheers!

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jake, Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson?? You don't know these guys? The only reason this guy is obscure to us is b/c he's from Jamaca.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. Did or does anyone follow this crap when the Olympics are not going on? Even Carl Lewis or Michael Johnson? Could you tell me one thing either did outside the Olympics? The Olympics is the event. The race itself is obscure.

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, Bradley Gohlke beat Chris Berry in the Pittsburgh Hot Shots archery competition for the third and final spot in this July's Great Outdoor Games in Orlando. It went down to the final speed challenge station, where Gohlke came from behind and won by fractions of a second after Berry hit a clutch 12-point shot from 40 yards out at the previous station. Wow. Three cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy Crap this was funny! I'm still laughing. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dr. StrangeloveX
06-14-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jake, Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson?? You don't know these guys? The only reason this guy is obscure to us is b/c he's from Jamaca.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. Did or does anyone follow this crap when the Olympics are not going on? Even Carl Lewis or Michael Johnson? Could you tell me one thing either did outside the Olympics? The Olympics is the event. The race itself is obscure.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, track and field is like soccer, big in Europe and other parts of the world.

The best in world make big bucks competing in European events.

Popinjay
06-14-2005, 08:35 PM
I loved the Carl Lewis Behind the Glory

pshreck
06-14-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Could you tell me one thing either did outside the Olympics? The Olympics is the event. The race itself is obscure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely true. No one in America gives a crap about 'World Championships' or Penn Relays or any of that crap. Track is zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.