PDA

View Full Version : Courtney Love ain't so bad

Boris
01-13-2003, 02:50 PM
Many die-hard Nirvana fans blame Courtney Love for the suicide of Kurt Cobain. But I've always blamed it on the drummer, Dave Grohl. Grohl's post Nirvana career is vomit inducing. Today I saw that the Foo Fighters are opening for Bon Jovi on the current Bon Jovi tour. More concrete evidence that it was Dave Grohl, and not Courtney, that drove our beloved Kurt completely F*&^ing nuts.

IrishHand
01-13-2003, 05:07 PM
I don't blame Courtney for his death. I blame him being mentally unbalanced for his death. She's little more than drug-addled mother that the media seems to like.

Glenn
01-13-2003, 05:11 PM
I like Dave, and think Kurt is nothing more than a glorified junkie. Nevermind was recently ranked by VH1 as the #2 rock album ever. It is a complete joke. It isn't a bad album, everyone bought it, but who knows where their copy is now? I think Kurt stinks!

Gitz
01-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Yeah if your into the "Heroin Aftershave Look" she's gorgeous!!!!!!!

andyfox
01-13-2003, 05:27 PM
Her child goes to the same school as my son. Your description appears accurate.

Boris
01-13-2003, 09:50 PM
You need your head examined. Please contact John Feeney immediately. It says your from New Jersey so maybe you like Bon Jovi also. Don't worry. They have cures for things like this. The procedure for correcting musical taste is outlined in A Clockwork Orange.

Ray Zee
01-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Boris, getting help from john feeney wont work when it comes to music. its made him freaky like all the rest of you nuts. if i had my way i would lock you all up together. by the way where can you rent a clockwork orange. ive been looking to find it since i saw it in the 60's i think. i never understood it and wanted a replay.

Glenn
01-13-2003, 11:43 PM
Of course I like Bon Jovi. They are one of about 100 bands I can think of off hand that are better than Nirvana. As much as they are stigmatized for being a glam band, they are fairly talented. Dead or Alive is an awesome rock song if you listen to it without considering their big hair at its time of release. After replying to your post, I downloaded a bunch of Nirvana music and I stand by what I said. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special. Nevermind was probably like the 8th best rock album released in 1991. One could argue that Ten, the Use Your Illusions, Blood sugar sex magic, Metallica's black album (i don't like this one, but people seem to), etc... were all better.

John Feeney
01-14-2003, 01:59 AM
No Ray, no, no... no, I've still got my wits about me - if I didn't leave 'em in the car or something. Just to prove it, I recommend to Glenn a dose of Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire. That should fix him right up:

http://www.rykodisc.com/RykoInternal/Features/342/tracks.html

Oh, and Ray, you can rent A Clockwork Orange at Kensington Video, down on Adams avenue. Just head about a thousand miles south, take the 15 to Adams... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Boris
01-14-2003, 01:00 PM
I'd be surprised if you could get it anywhere in the Flathead Valley. Best bet would be to try the Crystal in Missoula, on the corner of Third and Higgins if I remember correctly. But since your so rich you might want to buy a copy for yourself on Amazon. All those young chicks you bring home from the Palace at closing time will think you're really cool.

nicky g
01-14-2003, 01:11 PM
booo. nirvana were the best. best band of the 90s for sure. and i know exactly where my nevermind album is; in my tape deck. and courtney love sucks. taste is obviously subjective but i'm positive that nirvana will stand the test of time much better than guns and roses, metallica and the chilli peppers. i'm not going to dignify the bon jovi discussion with a reply.
kurt rules.

John Cole
01-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Now's there's a parent/teacher conference: "Is there anything going on at home we should know about?"

John

IrishHand
01-14-2003, 04:59 PM
Nirvana - a phenomenon, not a great band - already faded from most people's consciousness
Guns 'n' Roses - same as Nirvana, only frontman is violent egomaniac rather than violently suicidal
Metallica - headline band for two decades - will go down as one of greatest metal bands ever
Chili Peppers - lesser-scale headline band for decade plus - will go down as a solid band
Bon Jovi - fluff rock, but enjoyable - decade plus of popular music - will go down a a solid band

"kurt rules"? Umm...only if you're into death worship.

If you list the top 10 bands of the 90s in terms of making good music, I don't know that Nirvana necessarily makes the list. (They make the "top 10 most influential bands of the 90s", but that's another matter entirely.) I guarantee you they don't rank #1 in the 90s though.

On a related note, here is a list of the the new diamond honor, which goes to artists who manage to move more than 10 million copies of a given album in the U.S. (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1425228/19990317/story.jhtml) You'll note that Nirvana isn't among them, despite the fact that 24 of the 62 "Diamond" albumbs were released in the 90s. The other bands you mentioned all were, except for the Chilis.

Irish

Glenn
01-15-2003, 05:17 AM
Hi Ray,

If you don't have a decent video store in your area, you might want to try www.netflix.com. (http://www.netflix.com.) You pay by the month and they mail dvds to you and then you mail them back in the prepaid mailer they send you whenever you are done (you are only allowed to have like 3 or 4 at a time--when you send one back they send you the next one on your list). They have a good selection. It is a little more expensive than blockbuster, and of course slower, but it is probably a good option if you don't have access to a big chain around you.

Ray Zee
01-15-2003, 10:44 AM
thanks glenn, i will look into it. we do have no shortage of those video stores but they are small ones.

baggins
01-16-2003, 05:46 PM
music shouldn't be judged by album sales.

we're arguing the subjective topic of aesthetics again. lets not forget that nobody's wrong here.

nirvana was great. simply great. they were the tip of an iceberg that was below the surface of music culture for so many years. they were the culmination of 'punk' and the movements and offshoots that eventually went their own ways. they were the band that broke into the mainstream. they deserve much recognition for that. and their music was great. simple, sloppy, heartfelt, but ultimately just good. whether they compare to guns n roses (who i love) or metallica (who were good up to but not including the point they released LOAD which pretty much lost them most of their credit in my mind. then the whole Napster thing which lost the rest of their credit with me.) or the chili peppers (a solid band, absolutely. but never as awe-inspiring as nirvana, for sure).

courtney love is beautiful when she wants to be.

kurt had mental problems. anybody who kills himself has mental problems. but he was a gifted musician. i can hear it in the music. i can see it in his eyes. i dont know about the rest of you.

bon jovi were good on slippery when wet.