PDA

View Full Version : Ipod earphone suggestions

correia
06-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Looking to replace the garbage earphones that came with my ipod, any suggestions?

Freakin
06-14-2005, 12:49 PM
There have been a bunch of threads on this subject, and some very knowledgable posters chimed in.

I'm going with the Shure E3C.

Freakin

swede123
06-14-2005, 12:53 PM
A company named Shure makes some of the fanciest earbuds available, but they also cost an arm and a leg. Their top of the line model, E5 costs about $500 and has noise cancelling technology in it, enabling you to use it as ear plugs when you want to cut out noise without music. Of course this is a bit of overkill, and they have one model, E2 which sells for about $100.

To me a hundred bucks is a little much when it comes to earphones which break or get lost fairly easily, so I went with a model from Sony, the MDRX71. These are white, have the same in the ear design as the Shure models, and retail for about $50. I looked around on the web and bought mine for about $35. So far I really like them, they slide deep into the ear canal so there is no need to keep pushing them back in. The sound is pretty nice, and all in all I'm very happy. Sony also makes a cheaper model, the MDRX51, which retails for about $30.

Good luck,

Swede

Added a picture of the Sony earbuds.

http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/33/33-1233.jpg

Freakin
06-14-2005, 12:56 PM
You can find great prices on pricegrabber

From what I've read, E2=$60, and has better high highs, but not very good low end

E3=$120, and has great all around sound, but cuts out some of the higher highs. You can get these with white earpieces (the E3C), and they also have a soft plug, instead of the hard rubber ones that are available on teh E2 (but you can also get hard ones for the E3).

Freakin

jnalpak
06-14-2005, 01:07 PM
those sony's are the ones to get if you dont want to break the bank.

The only con i can give is that after 1 year of EVERYDAY use the left ear fizzled...I'm not sure how you use your iPod but im in NYC and walk everywhere so these things are in my ear in the AM-PM Mon-Fri (pending religous holidays and Flag Day) for about 2 hours a day, 5x a week, 20x a month, 240 days a year...

Thats 28800 minutes or 480 hrs of play without tear...

PS, i treat mine like crap...throw them in my manbag and never have them covered up. so maybe they last longer but for 49.99 u cant go wrong

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-14-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my manbag

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that European?

MrMoo
06-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Here (http://www.ipodlounge.com/index.php/reviews/review_grades/C79/) would probably be a good place to look.

The Stranger
06-14-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm no audiophile or anything, but I picked up a normal pair from Radio Shack for around $40. Ear buds irritate my ears. The pair I got sounds fine. Mostly I use the iPod with a tape adapter in my car.