PDA

View Full Version : 8-tabling Theory

astarck
06-14-2005, 12:25 PM
I have noticed an occurance while 8-tabling that I've theorized about. First, some background.

I am a 4-tabler and have been doing so for a while. Just recently I've tried to broaden my horizons (and wallet) and make the jump to 8-tables. While 4-tabling I'm a winning player, and through my small sample size 8-tabling, I am as well. But now for my question:

It seems as though while 8-tabling I am CONSTANTLY getting sucked out on, running into monster hands, etc. Yet I have a positive ROI and am doing well adjusting to more tables. Does it feel like I'm constantly getting sucked out on because I am playing double the tables, thus doubling my hands and bad beats, and players tend to remember only their bad beat stories?

While I'm adjusting it feels like every other hand I get I'm losing to a 1-3 outer, could this just be the simple fact that I remember these and I'm seeing them twice as much?

Additionally, has anyone else noticed this?

EDIT - I seem to remember recent posts about another 2+2er jumping to 8-tables. I forget who this was and can't find the post in the search, but if you read this I'd really appreciate your comments.

smcannon
06-14-2005, 01:03 PM
I think your assumption is correct. I recently jumped from one table to five. And right off the bat I realized I was getting screwed left and right. However, at the end of the day my ROI was a bit up.

So now I pretty much just brush off the beats and try to leave emotions out of it. When I react to those, I find myself playing horribly and that's not a smart thing to do when playing on 5 tables.

As long as I make a good decision, I'm pleased despite the results.

Scuba Chuck
06-14-2005, 01:10 PM
OP, you just described my thoughts and feelings exactly.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems as though while 8-tabling I am CONSTANTLY getting sucked out on, running into monster hands, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

My ROI is only respectable now. And my ITM has suffered. There has to be reads/moves that I am missing. I've lost 4-6% off my ITM (My ROI loss has been much larger).

BTW, four-tabling now seems a cinch.

Scuba

Jman28
06-14-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OP, you just described my thoughts and feelings exactly.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems as though while 8-tabling I am CONSTANTLY getting sucked out on, running into monster hands, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

My ROI is only respectable now. And my ITM has suffered. There has to be reads/moves that I am missing. I've lost 4-6% off my ITM (My ROI loss has been much larger).

BTW, four-tabling now seems a cinch.

Scuba

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno guys. It makes sense that you will have twice as many beats, but this could also just be a bad run at a bad time. I think that once you get used to 8 tables, it shouldn't hurt your results nearly as much as you describe.

Phil Van Sexton
06-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Scuba, I hope you've been working on your carpal/tunnel post. I am expecting something along the lines of gigabet's last post.

stupidsucker
06-14-2005, 01:30 PM
I notice my beats less when I 8table.. no time to fixate on them. Though it's obvious there are more, and at the end of the day they do wear on me. Starting the day with a 10table whif is impossible to overlook, and it only takes an hour to do while 8tabling.

My ITM/RoI hardly seem to suffer between 4 and 8. My game is virtualy the same.

Vetstadium
06-14-2005, 01:30 PM
My dell is on the way so I am ready to join the 8 tabling bunch. Even if you ROI was to go down 25%(which I don't see happening) you are still ahead of the game with twice as many tables.

Nottom
06-14-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if you ROI was to go down 25%(which I don't see happening)

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had this problem.