PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with SSH

AASooted
06-14-2005, 12:21 PM
I'd never really played poker before until I started playing on Empire early this year. I've had a tiny amount of success at NL 6-max, though the bonus is mainly what's kept me in the black. The variance is starting to wear on me, though.

I've been trying my hand at some .5/1 lately with no success -- nothing disastrous, but I'm not going to quit my job any time soon.

I picked up SSH a couple of weeks ago, and I've read through it, and can understand much of what's being said if I have time to think through each concept. Obviously, it's going to take several reads for it to really help me.

I guess I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all the information that's in there. I'm currently using the charts for pre-flop decisions until I can get a better understanding of that part of the game. My biggest problem is post-flop. If I haven't made my hand, I can count my outs and figure my pot odds well enough, but that's about all I can usually manage in the 30-60 seconds I have to make a decision. Knowing when to raise instead of call is currently beyond me.

Since the post-flop information in SSH is proving to be too much to bite off all at once, how should I divide it up to choose what concepts to start thinking about next? Or is it the kind of thing that is best taken as a whole?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

AlmightyJay
06-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I believe I played with you on Party the other day (assuming your name is AAsooted there too), and I can tell you right now you're way too loose and passive. I've got you playing 40% of all the hands you're dealt, which is at least twice as many as you should be playing. You're also only raising preflop about 4% of the time, which isn't very high.

At any rate, coming here is a great move on your part. The best way to learn is to jump right in and start posting your thoughts on hands that are posted. Don't be scared that you'll be wrong. People will correct you if you are, and your understanding will grow. Post hands that are troubling you, as well. Good luck!

Jaran
06-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Welcome to the forums. There's no real way besides study and practice. As you come across one of the concepts when you're playing, try what you remember being the correct move. After the session, analyze each hand to see if you feel you were playing correctly. Any hands you have questions or concerns about, post here. Also, take the time to write out thoughtful replies to others hand posts without first looking at the other respondants, and make sure you include why you would make the specific play. This is for your benefit, as writing out your thoughts will help to crystalize them, and any mistakes you make will be corrected by more experienced posters/players. Good luck.

-Jaran

AASooted
06-14-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I believe I played with you on Party the other day (assuming your name is AAsooted there too), and I can tell you right now you're way too loose and passive. I've got you playing 40% of all the hands you're dealt, which is at least twice as many as you should be playing. You're also only raising preflop about 4% of the time, which isn't very high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happily for me, I'm not AASooted on Party (although I may start looking for him). I don't have my stats in front of me right now, but I have about 1000 hands in PT and my VP$IP is around 20% and my PFR is (I'm guessing) about 6-7%.

I'll start looking for questionable hands to post in the next few days. Thanks for the feedback.

karitek
06-14-2005, 01:09 PM
you need to be raising more pre-flop. the post-flop stuff just takes time. you eventually see similar situations over and over again, so figuring out your outs becomes almost automatic allowing you to focus on the other elements. read the FAQs for the micros - it has some good info, and links to memorable posts. also, a peak around the beginners forum is probably a good idea too. welcome /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fantam
06-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Have a look at the hand examples in the back of SSH and make sure that you try to answer them on your own first, before reading the answers. Working through those will help you a lot with all aspects of your game.

And as the other players here have suggested, post some of your own hands, which you may have had difficulty with for discussion. Also dont be afraid to voice your own thoughts on hands that other players post.

Welcome to the forums. You are in the right place to learn! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

AlmightyJay
06-14-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Happily for me, I'm not AASooted on Party (although I may start looking for him). I don't have my stats in front of me right now, but I have about 1000 hands in PT and my VP$IP is around 20% and my PFR is (I'm guessing) about 6-7%.

I'll start looking for questionable hands to post in the next few days. Thanks for the feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, okay. Sorry for the mixup. Ignore most of my post, then /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bodhi
06-14-2005, 02:16 PM
I reccomend that you spend a lot of time on the section about counting your outs and hidden outs. It is absolutely necessary that you learn to quickly identify which possible hand would be the nuts, which hands might have you beat, and how you might tie or beat them. Take the hidden outs test and take it seriously, write down your reasoning on paper and compare it to the answers. You'll be surprised by how many you missed.

Sasnak
06-14-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I reccomend that you spend a lot of time on the section about counting your outs and hidden outs. It is absolutely necessary that you learn to quickly identify which possible hand would be the nuts, which hands might have you beat, and how you might tie or beat them. Take the hidden outs test and take it seriously, write down your reasoning on paper and compare it to the answers. You'll be surprised by how many you missed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

imported_exelius
06-14-2005, 02:59 PM
I've read SSH also.
What I'm doing now is just learning to figure pot odds and outs on each hand. Then after I get that down I'll take another concept and learn it. I found when i read the whole book along with other books too that its too much to try and do at the same time.

Like some others have said before, that eventually certain concepts like preflop, outs, odds will become second nature to you, like I hope it does to me eventually : )

Good Luck,
Ex