PDA

View Full Version : Flush in a paired board with lots of action

__Q__
06-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (20 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 30 BB

I feel sort of ashamed to admit that I'm not completely sure what to do in a hand like this.

In retrospect, I should have raised the flop. I figured raising wasn't going to buy me any outs or get any hands that might draw out on me to fold, but I probably have good equity here, right? The pair on the board scared me off, and i'm a little confused on how much a paired board affects me in this situation.

I think only a better hand than mine reraises the turn.

Even though the pot was huge, the fold on the river facing 3 bets seemed obvious.

Chuckles1248
06-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Raise the flop. You're in position and there's no reason to be afraid of a boat until someone tells you they have it. The turn is fine, and facing 3 cold on the river, even in this huge pot, I think a fold is in order.

My guess is that UTG turned a better flush with you and UTG+1 had some combination of TT, KK, K4, T4 that he was slowplaying or rivered. Either that or he's a total donk.

crazymoose
06-14-2005, 12:54 PM
I would probably just call the flop, but some reads on villains could sway the decision.

I would definitely fold the river facing three cold. It looks as if there is a boat and a higher flush out there, but again some reads might change that decision.

crunchy1
06-14-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In retrospect, I should have raised the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. I think a smooth call here is a great way to trap the 2 UTG's if you hit on the turn. To do this you need to be confident that BB will bet a turn /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

[ QUOTE ]
I think only a better hand than mine reraises the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree and that makes the river fold pretty easy. I think folding the turn with a slim possibility that you're ahead and 2 outs to the pure nuts would've been bad.

NH

brettbrettr
06-14-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel sort of ashamed to admit that I'm not completely sure what to do in a hand like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be, this is a really tricky spot.

Sinnister
06-14-2005, 01:10 PM
raise the flop, represent the 4 or find out who has it, also this is a situation where its ALL about reads. Against weak players i wouldnt fold the flush. Against a slowplayer u may already be dealing with a boat. You have to know if you are dealing with oppts who will raise with Ace 4 to the death. I sat take the lead on the flop and see how heavy the action gets there. Usually someone will have slowed down by the turn. If the action still is really heavy and ur not secure in your reads, u have made a pretty big laydown move on to the next hand.

GetThere1Time
06-14-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm folding preflop without 3 or 4 limpers in front of me, or with close to absolute certainty there's going to be some limpers behind me and no raise.

Sinnister
06-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Wow this is definately a doosy! Brett Can u recommend a line of play here?

brettbrettr
06-14-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Hero played it well.

brettbrettr
06-14-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

New guy, You'll soon learn that there are quite a few posters who will be much more helpful than moi.

Chuckles1248
06-14-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In retrospect, I should have raised the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. I think a smooth call here is a great way to trap the 2 UTG's if you hit on the turn. To do this you need to be confident that BB will bet a turn /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point...I didn't think about that when I said raise the flop, but 2 BB is better than 2 SB.

__Q__
06-14-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or with close to absolute certainty there's going to be some limpers behind me and no raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I wasn't absolutely sure, but close too it. Considering the tempo of the table, I figured it would most likely be 5 or 6 way for one bet. And that the worst case scenario would be 4 way for two bets.