PDA

View Full Version : beginner hand question

Barb W
06-14-2005, 10:10 AM
OK-I was playing a SnG at UB, and my tourney got ended real fast by the following...can anyone tell me if I did stupid stuff?

Thanks.

Hand #7 at (No Limit Hold'em Sit and Go)
Powered by UltimateBet

BigChris is at seat 0 with 1400.
Aabcd is at seat 1 with 3600.
RFBalla10 is at seat 2 with 1350.
me is at seat 3 with 1500.
pdxbeav is at seat 4 with 1185.
pokervee is at seat 5 with 820.
mavieeni is at seat 7 with 1330.
LobShot is at seat 8 with 2160.
slickster 69 is at seat 9 with 1655.
The button is at seat 1.

RFBalla10 posts the small blind of 10.
me posts the big blind of 20.

BigChris: -- --
Aabcd: -- --
RFBalla10: -- --
me As Kc
pdxbeav: -- --
pokervee: -- --
mavieeni: -- --
LobShot: -- --
slickster 69: -- --

Pre-flop:

pdxbeav folds. pokervee calls. mavieeni folds.
LobShot calls. slickster 69 calls. BigChris folds.
Aabcd folds. RFBalla10 calls. me raises to
120. pokervee calls. LobShot folds. slickster 69
folds. RFBalla10 folds.

Flop (board: Qc Kh 3c):

me goes all-in for 1380. pokervee goes all-in
for 700. me is returned 680 (uncalled).

Tournament all-in showdown -- players show:

me shows As Kc.
pokervee shows Ac Tc.

Turn (board: Qc Kh 3c Ks):

(no action in this round)

River (board: Qc Kh 3c Ks 7c):

Showdown:

me has As Kc Qc Kh Ks: three kings.
pokervee has Ac Tc Qc 3c 7c: flush, ace high.

Hand #6501538-7 Summary:

No rake is taken for this hand.
pokervee wins 1700 with flush, ace high.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Hand #50 at (No Limit Hold'em Sit and Go)

BigChris is at seat 0 with 2160.
Aabcd is at seat 1 with 4005.
RFBalla10 is at seat 2 with 2765.
me is at seat 3 with 1045.
pdxbeav is at seat 4 with 925.
pokervee is at seat 5 with 2335.
mavieeni is at seat 7 with 1765.
The button is at seat 5.

mavieeni posts the small blind of 50.
BigChris posts the big blind of 100.

BigChris: -- --
Aabcd: -- --
RFBalla10: -- --
me: 5h 5s
pdxbeav: -- --
pokervee: -- --
mavieeni: -- --

Pre-flop:

Aabcd folds. RFBalla10 folds. me raises to
200. pdxbeav folds. pokervee folds. mavieeni
folds. BigChris re-raises to 650. me goes
all-in for 1045. BigChris calls.

Tournament all-in showdown -- players show:

BigChris shows Kh Ac.
me shows 5h 5s.

Flop (board: Th 5d Qd):

Turn (board: Th 5d Qd 7s):

River (board: Th 5d Qd 7s Jh):

Showdown:

BigChris has Kh Ac Th Qd Jh: straight, ace high.
me has 5h 5s 5d Qd Jh: three fives.

Hand #6501538-50 Summary:

No rake is taken for this hand.
BigChris wins 2140 with straight, ace high.
me is finished.

Pov
06-14-2005, 11:41 AM
First off - you took the time to remove your screen name from this post - you should extend the same courtesy to the other players. I wouldn't appreciate your listing of my play on a public forum if I was one of your opponents and while perhaps technically there is nothing wrong with it, I would do some find and replace work on all the names nonetheless.

On your first posted hand I think you need to be careful of overbetting. I understand you want to drive out the flush draw, but let's take a look at the pot. It's what, T300 or so? If a flush draw needs 4:1 to peel a card or 2:1 to play to the river, then betting 1380 into a 300 pot is just plain silly. All you really accomplish is losing more money when you're actually up against KQ or 33. In this particular case your opponent only had 700 hundred chips to call you with so the play isn't that bad IF you realized you were actually only betting 700 chips here.

Since he can win with a Jack as well as a club you're actually only something like 57% to win on the flop. He has to figure either a club or a Jack gives it to him so considering his stack size his all-in call is actually not that unreasonable. He's putting in 700 to call 1000 for 10:7 on his money as a 57:43 ~ 9.3:7 dog.

The lesson, be wary of TPTK hands in the NL game. There are frequently many solid draws against you and you may not even be ahead. Remember - you've got 1 pair. Play it aggressively, but don't go so crazy that you can't get away from the hand. All your bets should be in relation to the size of the pot.

On the second hand your all-in is questionable IMO. What cards is this guy going to raise to 650 and then fold for another 400 chips with? Basically you are going all-in with the *hope* that you're slightly ahead in a coin flip. Typically if you're going to do this you'd prefer you do it where there is some chance your opponent will fold.

That said, I don't know what good alternatives you have considering your short chip stack of only 10 BB's. I think I may have passed on the 55 in the first place actually. Your minimum raise is too weak and anything more practically commits you to the hand.

Chemboss
06-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Here is the link for Bisbon's hand converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SheridanCat
06-14-2005, 11:50 AM
When presenting hands on 2+2, it's a good idea to use bisonbison's hand converter found here (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi). One of the main things it does is anonymize the hand for you, which is the polite thing to do. No big deal on these hands, but it's possible to needlessly embarrass someone by leaving the player names in the hand.

So.

First hand. I'm not a fan of pushing it all in with TPTK on the flop. A worse hand will fold and a better hand will call. However, that's not the case here, you got your money in with a small equity advantage. You got unlucky. You'll find yourself in a lot of coin flips with TPTK, which is why it can be dangerous.

Second hand. I'm not sure I like the min raise preflop. I'd say make a larger raise or just call and try to see the flop cheap. You have about 10 BBs, so it's not totally desperate yet. In any event, there's no way you're not going to lose all your money here. You got your money in with much the best of it and lost.

Just some bad luck.

Regards,

T

Barb W
06-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the comments on the hands. I guess I was being too aggressive and I paid for it. Sorry for the breach of etiquette regarding the hand conversions, and thanks for the link for the hand converter. I was wondering how people were doing that.