PDA

View Full Version : How to play this JJ hand.

ahnuld
06-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Playing 2-4 nl on royal vegas poker with a 350 stack. Pick up black JJ in the sb. 4 limpers when the button, a regual solid player (500$), decides to make it 24 to go. I decided to flat call, since I didnt want to raise and be blown off my hand or have him call and have position on me. Sure this may have been a bad call, so please critique it and include your thoughts, im new to this limit of play.

Anyways, one of the limper calls, (Pot 88$)and the flop comes 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gifq /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check to the raiser who bets 64$. How would you play this han donwards or what would you have done differently than me.

(My apologies if this is an obvious hand but I need to get better at hands like these as they make the difference of winning or losing)

AceHiStation
06-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Without a good read on villain I check/fold. Could have AK and missed, or AK spades, AQ, or QQ-AA. I play the same and laydown to what looks like a confident bet.

Chr
06-14-2005, 10:42 AM
There is nothing wrong with your pf call and your check on the flop is fine. After his bet, just fold.

I don't know why you think the preflop call should be bad. Fine odds playing alone for the set and lots of rags flops gives you oppertunity to bet out.

thabadguy
06-14-2005, 11:02 AM
The pf call is fine. I would probably lead the flop, get him on the defensive if he has something like AKo or something.Reevaluate on turn.

AZK
06-14-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably lead the flop, get him on the defensive if he has something like AKo or something.Reevaluate on turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't work for me, when I try things like this hands I want to call fold (AK/TT) and hands I want to fold call (AA/KK/AQ/QQ etc...) what's the secret?

DrPublo
06-14-2005, 12:05 PM
I might reraise preflop, as a button raise after 4 limpers could be trying to simply take control of the hand.

On the flop I might lead and fold to a raise.

The Doc

thabadguy
06-14-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably lead the flop, get him on the defensive if he has something like AKo or something.Reevaluate on turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't work for me, when I try things like this hands I want to call fold (AK/TT) and hands I want to fold call (AA/KK/AQ/QQ etc...) what's the secret?

[/ QUOTE ]

MAGIC!

kagame
06-14-2005, 01:03 PM
lmao

jpg7n16
06-14-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just wondering....

why do you want AK to call, but AQ to fold?

ahnuld
06-14-2005, 01:32 PM
I checkraised him the minimum. I figure, he calls, im done, he raises im done. It would be a really really loose call with AK, and he might fold AA KK or AQ fearing a set. But the odds are that he had AK or lower pocket, since he folded.

Anyone like the line i chose? It may be a very expensive one.

luckOverSkill
06-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Reraise preflop. If he calls you may be in good shape. If he rereraises, I'd muck my hand. Or you can call the raise preflop and lead out with a pot sized bet.

Hehe.

mgsimpleton
06-14-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Without a good read on villain I check/fold. Could have AK and missed, or AK spades, AQ, or QQ-AA. I play the same and laydown to what looks like a confident bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the smallest range of hands i've ever ever ever seen... he could have any pair, suited connectors, really anything, who knows... i'm check raising this flop and folding if called (unless i spike my J =)

JFB37
06-14-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why do you want AK to call, but AQ to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because AQ has top pair and is ahead. AK has dreams.

gomberg
06-14-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reraise preflop. If he calls you may be in good shape. If he rereraises, I'd muck my hand. Or you can call the raise preflop and lead out with a pot sized bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is going to cost you a lot of money in the long run if you play like this. I'd need to know a lot about the table before reraising here w/ JJ.

flawless_victory
06-14-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]This is going to cost you a lot of money in the long run if you play like this. I'd need to know a lot about the table before reraising here w/ JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]this guy raised a few limpers from the button. big deal... reraising pre is good, but calling is fine too... especially since the guy is referred to as solid, which at online 2/4 translates to "weak tight nit"..

gomberg
06-14-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this guy raised a few limpers from the button. big deal... reraising pre is good, but calling is fine too... especially since the guy is referred to as solid, which at online 2/4 translates to "weak tight nit"..

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know - when a solid player raises decent on the button after 4 limpers, I don't like a reraise here w/ a nice valued hand because

1) you could shut yourself out of the pot and a chance to make a lot of money if you set
2) one of the early limpers could limp-reraise or just call you to trap
3) you just made the pot very large if you get 1 or 2 callers and your OOP w/ a tough hand to play.
4) The only mistake button can make is to fold QQ.

Just seems like you're setting yourself up for a tough spot postflop. If you know the button steals like this sometimes, the raise is a little better. If you know the first limper usually doesn't lrr, then it's better too. I just like to know the players well before playing tough pots out of position like this. If there's a good reason for a reraise, then go for it, but I like a call here the majority of the time (70-80%).

sexypanda
06-14-2005, 05:12 PM
I like calling pf and leading the flop, I think this is the cheapest way to get a descent idea of where you're at. I'd be done with the hand if anyone called or raised my flop bet. I think the check-raise is just too expensive.