PDA

View Full Version : sliding glass door doesnt slide well...

KaneKungFu123
06-14-2005, 08:45 AM
sliding glass door to my bathroom is all [censored] up and wont slide smoothly the way it did in the past. its a [censored] hassle everytime i go in and out of there. how do i fix it?

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 09:36 AM
I just did this recently. There's a kit you can get at Home depot. It comes with the rollers and the strip at the bottom of that the door slides on. You have to take the door off. Replace the rollers in the door. Then Take the metal strip out of the bottom of thew doorframe and replace it. This is the usual problem. That little strip gets damaged and causes the door to not slide. It took me like 45 minutes.

Little Fishy
06-14-2005, 09:39 AM
before yo go out and buy a kit, the door might not be on exactlye straight, I'd try holding onto the edge and lifting it off it's track and setting it back down... if it still doesn't slide well, then go for the kit

namknils
06-14-2005, 09:53 AM
You could also just spray some WD-40 on the track and see if that helps. It's a temporary fix, but may be all you need. To do it the complete way, yeah go get the kit.

stanky
06-14-2005, 09:55 AM
You could also try putting some grease on the wheels, and inspect the track for any cracks that the wheels are getting caught on. If there are cracks you could try filling them in with an epoxy. If that fails you'll have to replace the track and maybe even the whole door.

beerbandit
06-14-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You could also just spray some WD-40 on the track and see if that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

wd40 would be a good idea, dirt and other [censored] attaches to it -- alumalub works much better for anything one would use wd40 for

i would take the door out and check he bottom rollers, after so much use they can become damaged and a wheel with a flat side doesnt work to well -- also the track maybe damaged, someone mentioned that repair kit and sounds like it would work out -- also someone mentioned to check if the door is on the track properly

if you do go somewhere to look for replacement parts, try to get the brandname of the door (usually on the handle or side of operating unit) it makes it much easier

cheers

Ray Zee
06-14-2005, 10:36 AM
it usually is the rollers are off somewhere. easy fix.

wd-40 is not a lubricant. it displaces water and is for other things like drying electrical contacts.

Freakin
06-14-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it usually is the rollers are off somewhere. easy fix.

wd-40 is not a lubricant. it displaces water and is for other things like drying electrical contacts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this. I have always known it primarily as a cleaner & lubricant, which I think is one of it's most common uses.

From WD40's website

5 Basic Functions.
CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, stickers, and excess bonding material.
DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts.
PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

sublime
06-14-2005, 11:07 AM
I don't agree with this

thats fine. ray will just shoot you.

Blackjack
06-14-2005, 11:09 AM
WD40 must be killer lube.

namknils
06-14-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wd-40 is not a lubricant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it is, see Freakin's post.

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be sure and post a trip report when you try this.

(I can just picture you behind some girl spraying her ass with that red extention thingy that's always rubber-banded around the WD40 can.)

Freakin
06-14-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be sure and post a trip report when you try this.

(I can just picture you behind some girl spraying her ass with that red extention thingy that's always rubber-banded around the WD40 can.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, that imagery is terrifying.

Freakin

Ray Zee
06-14-2005, 09:21 PM
they just say that so it has lots of uses. milk can be a lubricant as well. wd-40 is a poor one at that. people use it to lubricate all the time. that doesnt mean its any good for that purpose.

exist
06-14-2005, 09:58 PM
WD40 also makes a delightful little flamethrower.