PDA

View Full Version : Any fisherman other than Cubswin?

xLukex
06-14-2005, 08:26 AM
I know that none of your scrawny little internet fingers can grip a fishing pole, but do any of you go?

What do you like fishing for?

Where do you go?

Right now I'm leaving on a 3 day trip to Pymatuning Lake (Ohio/PA border between Pittsburgh and Erie) to fish for walleye.

Also, the PA fish hatchery is located on the other side of the lake, and there is an UNREAL (tens of thousands) amount of carp that you can fish for.

I will take pictures for you guys to beat it to.

I mean.

Fish.

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, the PA fish hatchery is located on the other side of the lake, and there is an UNREAL (tens of thousands) amount of carp that you can fish for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up saltwater fishing so that's mostly what I do. Redfish, Flounder, Grouper, Snapper, Tuna... But why the [censored] would anyone have a state carp hatchery? Carp have to be the worst trash fish there is. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

xLukex
06-14-2005, 09:56 AM
It's not a hatchery for carp...the carp just hang out at the spillway between the hatchery lake and the actual lake.

You'll see when I post pictures. The amount of huge carp is unreal. They flop on top of eachother for bread. It's RIDICULOUS.

namknils
06-14-2005, 09:57 AM
I haven't fished in a long time, but I enjoy bass fishing, and walleye fishing. Walleye taste great! When I do go fishing it is usually in small lakes in Michigan and Wisconsin.

Carp? Really? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

TMFS9
06-14-2005, 10:01 AM
We do a lot of real fishing, none of the freshwater stuff. Coastal fishing and close offshore fishing for Redfish, Speckled Trout, Snapper, and cobia.

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Where are you located, TMFS9?

TMFS9
06-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Southern Louisiana

Pocket Trips
06-14-2005, 10:29 AM
I enjoy fishing as well but I am honest and admit the reason most people go fishing is because there is no better excuse to drink during day;ight hours /images/graemlins/smile.gif

xLukex
06-14-2005, 10:44 AM
I don't drink!

Shajen
06-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Its been a while since I've been, but I used to fish (fly fishing and casting) almost every day for rainbow, cutthroat, and brown trout in the river near the house I grew up in in NM. Also fished for salmon (trolling) on the lake near there as well. Ocassionally fish for bass and crappy here in GA.

I need to get a boat again. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

OrangeHeat
06-14-2005, 11:09 AM
I haven't had time in a couple of years, but I love to go brook trout fishing in the Adirondacks.

As my father grew up in the mountains he has shown me there are lots of streams that no one else fishes. Most are out of the way and a good hike, but I have yet to encounter another person while fishing them.

The best part is that the fish are all native. Stocked brook trout are dull in color compared to the native fish who have awesome pinkish highlights on there underbellies.

Hmmm..Now I have to plan a trout fishing trip this summer.

Orange

namknils
06-14-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't had time in a couple of years, but I love to go brook trout fishing in the Adirondacks.

As my father grew up in the mountains he has shown me there are lots of streams that no one else fishes. Most are out of the way and a good hike, but I have yet to encounter another person while fishing them.

The best part is that the fish are all native. Stocked brook trout are dull in color compared to the native fish who have awesome pinkish highlights on there underbellies.

Hmmm..Now I have to plan a trout fishing trip this summer.

Orange

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds awesome.

offTopic
06-14-2005, 12:17 PM
I enjoy stream fishing for trout, though I don't know how to flyfish, so I'm relegated to either bait or spinners/spoons. The little smallmouth bass in my avatar was caught on a Mepps Aglia in Lake Almanor, CA last month.

My dad has a small boat that we used to take out in search of striped bass in San Luis Reservoir/O'Neill Forebay for people familiar with the central CA area, but we don't do that too much anymore.

I also like Carolina-rigging curlytail grubs at the beach for surfperch, and need to get out and do some more of that soon.

I'd love to take advantage of some of the near-shore salmon/halibut fishing, but I get seasick. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Shajen
06-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Offtopic,

If you have the time, you should learn to flyfish. It isn't very hard, and its very relaxing. A great way to fish.

I miss it fiercely.

offTopic
06-14-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Offtopic,

If you have the time, you should learn to flyfish. It isn't very hard, and its very relaxing. A great way to fish.

I miss it fiercely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, I'd like to - my GF is a National Park afficionado, and if we end up hiking Yellowstone and I can't fish, I might have to jump into a mud pot or something. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

M2d
06-14-2005, 12:31 PM
I've tapered off considerably in the two months since my son was born, but I used to throw lures for striped bass about five times a week and up to three times a day if the tides were right (before work, at lunch and after work). A couple of times i threw in a midnight session to hit the right tide as well.

now, it's only about two to three times a week. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

FishNChips
06-14-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've tapered off considerably in the two months since my son was born, but I used to throw lures for striped bass about five times a week and up to three times a day if the tides were right (before work, at lunch and after work). A couple of times i threw in a midnight session to hit the right tide as well.

now, it's only about two to three times a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, I think we might officially be friends if we ever met. Where do you do your fishing?

I don't fish nearly this often, but I've been known to spend a Saturday afternoon on a jetti throwing lures for whatever happens to be sitting in the bay (newport when I was in OC, now SD harbor or Mission Bay).

I grew up offshore fising with my dad and brothers and we still get out together several times a year. I try to fish as many Fridays as I can during the summer... OFFshore (50+miles from port) chasing Tuna/Yellowtail/Dorado(in good years). I've caught sharks, white seabass, and other smaller game fish as well. It is one of my favorite things to do...

I've done some freshwater fishing as well, but its been a while.

FishNChips

Joe826
06-14-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm in northern Idaho so there's quite a lot of fishing. There's a lake about 20 minutes from my house that has trout, bluegill, black crappie, largemouth bass, and even some tiger muskie (or northern pike, i'm not sure which). I usually just put a 1/32 chartreuse jig on and cast away. It's pretty easy to catch 30 or so bluegill/black crappie in an hour, although I usually only keep the bigger ones to eat. They're really good though.

I'd like to get one of the largemouth bass but I'm not completely sure how to catch them. I've tried a few lures and spinners but haven't gotten a thing. Any ideas?

Shajen
06-14-2005, 03:15 PM
As far as the bass go, it depends on a lot of different things.

If the water is cloudy, you might want to go with shiny, flashy lures. Worms are also good. Depending on the time of year, surface lurers like poppers, frogs, etc, would be ideal.

Hope this helps.

All this talk of fishing really makes me want to go...DAMN YOU OOT!

Alobar
06-14-2005, 03:17 PM
I used to fish 3 or 4 times a week. I had dreams of being a bass pro, heh.

Havent gone in a couple years tho now....I suck /images/graemlins/frown.gif

touchfaith
06-14-2005, 03:28 PM
I stream fish up and down the Sierra's. There are not many things I enjoy more then poping on the waders and fishing a couple miles up and down stream.

Otherwise, I'm a float-tuber. Small, crystal-clear lakes, and few beers/420 and a tube...I'm gone, cya when my (if) legs get cramps from the fins.

I'll take a basket full of 10" brookies and the occasional 2-5 lb. brownie over any other...

About the only place I'll speak of that I love to fish is a spot that has already become too populated...

There is a 17 mile connecting road (Gold Lake Road) between highways 49 & 89, about 50 miles north-west of Truckee.

Off that road, in addition to Gold Lake of course, there are 36 other lakes, some of them no larger then a small par-3... The best part?? Only 6 of these lakes are accessable by paved roads. The rest are either 4X4 trail, or hiking in...

Paradise (Ummm, till a few housing communities opened just north).

johnc
06-14-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Offtopic,

I miss it fiercely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, I'd like to - my GF is a National Park afficionado, and if we end up hiking Yellowstone and I can't fish, I might have to jump into a mud pot or something. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second Shajen's advice. If you love to fish, then IMHO flyfishing is the next step. I've been flyfishing for over 25 years and it really gets into your blood. Besides, it's not that hard to learn esp with all the videos and books but the absolutely best way is to get a guide when you're in Jellystone visiting Yogi & Booboo. West Yellowstone is rife with flyshops and close to some of the best trout fishing in the world.

M2d
06-14-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm up in the bay area. I live 5 minutes from one of my striper spots (went last night for nada) work 15 minutes away from home in between two more of my spots.

how's the hali fishing this year? I got a couple of other friends that fish SD a lot. are you on pierfishing.com? if not, you should check it out. it's a site/message board dedicated to shore (no boat stuff allowed), saltwater (no freshwater allowed) fishing in california. lots of sd guys there.

M2d
06-14-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the water is cloudy, you might want to go with shiny, flashy lures. Worms are also good. Depending on the time of year, surface lurers like poppers, frogs, etc, would be ideal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this before, but I don't agree with it. for dirty water, I prefer bigger "louder" baits that can be fished a little slower. things like spinnerbaits, big bushy jigs or swimbaits that push a lot of water and can be more easily picked up by the fish's lateral line seem to work better for me than flashy baits in dirty water.

M2d
06-14-2005, 04:16 PM
have you been up to the sagehen this year? how's the water running up in the mountains? sagehen usually clears before the other area streams, so I use it as an indicator for the rest of the sierras.

theredwave
06-14-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll second Shajen's advice. If you love to fish, then IMHO flyfishing is the next step. I've been flyfishing for over 25 years and it really gets into your blood. Besides, it's not that hard to learn esp with all the videos and books but the absolutely best way is to get a guide when you're in Jellystone visiting Yogi & Booboo. West Yellowstone is rife with flyshops and close to some of the best trout fishing in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually don't flyfish too much but I took a trip up to Montana last summer and that's all I did. We fished the Gallatin river by Bozeman on foot and rented a drift boat to fish the Yellowstone. Gallatin had the best fish of the two, all we caught on the Yellowstone was some bottom suckers and maybe 3-4 trout total, 1 cutthroat and the rest were brown. Even with the lack of fish, we might have been there a little too early in the season, it was still a great trip and I'd recommend it to anyone.

KJS
06-14-2005, 04:36 PM
My favorite is dry fly fishing for lake trout in my float tube. That's how I learned to fly fish and it's still my preference. Bring beer and buds and I'll have a great day no matter if the fish are biting or not.

I do go stream fishing for trout a few times a year too. I am still very much a beginner, so I rarely do well on my own but if I get hooked up with an experienced friend I've done alright. Got a 24' rainbow in the Cedar River near Renton, WA last year. Awesome.

For Seattle fishermen: I read in the P-I a bit ago that a nearby hatchery had extra fryers and gave them to the State, which put them in Greenlake. So Greenlake has their usual state stock plus all this extra. I need to get on that.

KJS

M2d
06-14-2005, 04:38 PM
are you in seattle? ever try fly fishing the salt? it's kind of hard work, but, once you tie into a ling or a salmon, you'll never look at a 12" trout the same way again.

KJS
06-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Yes I am in Seattle.

I've only done shore fishing for salmon with a fly once on Whidbey Island. It is one of my goals for this year to explore some of the shores around Seattle. I always have the same problem though: learning curve. I suck at a lot of the simple sh** still like knot tying and casting, and my knowledge of the local waters is bad. I started going with really experienced guys and slacked off because they knew everything. Now that they have moved away I'm kind of back to square one. But I can't let that get in the way of hooking a nice salmon!

KJS

KJS
06-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Sounds awesome to me.

I learned in Bellingham, WA when I was in grad school. Great lake (Squalicum) about 9 miles up the Mt. Baker Hi-way. No sign from the road, just a little parking lot and a trailhead. 1/2 mile flat walk to the lake, which is fly fishing only. I could be out of class at 1:50 and casting my first line by 2:45. God I miss that.

KJS

KJS
06-14-2005, 04:48 PM
I took a gf to Yellowstone on a fly fishing trip years ago. She'd never done it and caught fish. It's not hard to do, but hard to do really well. And the local shops around Yellowstone will tell you exactly what you need to know. If you go and don't flyfish you'll be very very sorry.

KJS

M2d
06-14-2005, 04:48 PM
dude, try rockfish also. it'r really simple. go to a rocky shoreline. all you need in addition to your regular stuff is a basket. type 4 head or line (I actually use a running line and about 5-10 feet of leadcore instead of an off the shelf head). your salmon rod should be perfect.
short leaders (3 feet or so) with big dark flys. bunny leaches (on steroids, compared to the freshwater variety) on size 2 or 1/0 2x long shank hooks in black, purple or olive should be enough. cast parallel to structure and dance it back hand over hand. good eating, too, if you like fish, and not as endagered as salmon runs.

M2d
06-14-2005, 04:53 PM
I learned in college. I'm from hawaii, so i figured that my college years in california were my only chance to learn. since I fished all my life, it was a natural step to take.
I got to know a guy who ran the campus barbershop. he also taught the flyfishing and tying classes at the alternative college. he grew up in the area (davis), so he knew all of the secret spots. my buddies and i would pick his brain on blue spots we found on the map then go explore. we got into largemouth, smallmouth, trout, stripers and anything else you'd expect in the area.
I never took a class from him (taught myself), but I did help him in his classes as a "guest instructor". in return, I got to go on the overnight trips to the sierras without paying the fees.
now that I'm in the bay area, i rarely flyfish. because of the winds, the shore spots and time, I do most of my fishing with a conventional reel. I still get out a couple of times a year (mostly salt), but they're too few for my liking.

Shajen
06-14-2005, 05:30 PM
I love <*}}}><

DukeSucks
06-14-2005, 07:19 PM
I go down to Atlantic Beach, NC a couple of times a month during the summer to pier fish. I just go to have fun and relax, mostly catching and releasing spot and croaker. Although last summer I did accidentally catch a shark. I'm thinking about trying to catch Spanish Mackeral next time, since a lot of them are caught there.
The Big Rock (http://www.thebigrock.com/default.asp) Blue Marlin tournament is going on this week, so I'd like to get down and catch one of the daily weigh-ins.