PDA

View Full Version : 1,000 $200+15 sngs Update

ZeeJustin
06-14-2005, 07:04 AM
The following is taken from http://www.zeejustin.com/journal.php?journal_id=24

Lately, I have been playing lots of the higher stakes online games. I played a lot of $5/$10 NL, $10/$20 NL, $400+30 sngs and $1000+65 sngs. I knew that playing these games, I wouldn’t be making tons of money because the players are tougher, and grinding it out with tight solid play is not enough in these games. It was a conscious decision on my part based on the fact that I wasn’t learning anything anymore grinding it out in $200+15 sngs, despite the fact that the money there is much better.

Although I’ve been winning over the past couple of months, the money seems to be coming very slowly, and the swings are a bit hefty to say the least. I want a break from these games that require tons of concentration, with little instant reward, so I’m embarking on a quest; one where the sole purpose is to basically make tons of cash as fast as possible.

Over the next two or three weeks, I am going to play 1,000 $200+15 sngs on Eurobet (a Party skin where I get rakeback). I hope to make around $30,000 in this 2-3 week period. As always, my social life comes first, and I may take a trip to Vegas to visit my friends at the WSOP, so the time factor is not crucial. I just want to make sure I get these 1,000 sngs completed before I go back to the games I was playing before. I think I’m going to play 8 tables at a time during the first 500, and I’ll probably finish them off playing 12 tables at a time. That will give me some nice contrast for 8 vs 12 tabling.

I’ll keep you updated on my progress of course. I played two sessions today. In the afternoon, I played for 4 hours and 5 minutes. In the evening, I played for another 5 hours. In this time, I played 94 sngs and made $4,220, which leaves me with $44.89 per sng (plus rakeback). This is a nice start, although I will not pretend to believe that I can keep up this winrate.

Actually, things started off amazingly well. I finished 1st in 5 of my first 10 sngs, and even cashed in 2 more of them. I was running unreal hot. Of course after that, things seemed to reverse, and I couldn’t win a single all-in, but these are just normal swings in poker. As I said, I finished the day well, so I’m very happy with the way things are going, and the outlook of the whole quest.

It’s 4am now, so I’m gonna try to get some sleep. Expect an update just about every day until this quest is over. Thanks for following my progress!

— Justin Bonomo

Blackjack
06-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Nice job - hope to hear more updates.
I remember about a year ago you were playing the 215s and I was in awe back then. Surprised you aren't doing that with 430s now.

Blackjack

chisness
06-14-2005, 07:23 AM
GL with the rest. A few questions:

1) What % rakeback are you getting?
2) Are you 8/12 tabling in sets or continuously?
3) How many monitors are you using and how do you manage 12 if only 2?
4) Are they always starting up constantly like the lower limit ones are? (How annoying are the unupdating lobbies when you're trying to join new ones??)

BTW, I'm doing 100 $30s per day, 12 at a time (just started as well). I've done 302 so far with pretty successful results (which are also probably a bit above a maintainable level).

Kristian
06-14-2005, 07:26 AM
ZJ, a few questions, feel free to select the interesting ones.

I find it somewhat surprising that it is possible to make a profit 8 and even 12-tabling the 215s, as I would have thought that a lot of adjustment to other players style (reads) was required.
Is it your opinion that reads are actually not necessarry to win at the 215s, or are you simply so poker brain washed that you are able to make reads at 8 tables at once?

Also, do you have any idea what kind of people you typically play against at the 215s? Do you primarily make your money from amateurs looking for one or two fun games, or are you making it from other regulars who are just not playing as well as you?

raptor517
06-14-2005, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it your opinion that reads are actually not necessarry to win at the 215s, or are you simply so poker brain washed that you are able to make reads at 8 tables at once?

[/ QUOTE ]

you dont need to make too many reads to beat the 215s, but you DO have to make quite a few adjustments from even the 109s. the play is MUCH more aggressive.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, do you have any idea what kind of people you typically play against at the 215s? Do you primarily make your money from amateurs looking for one or two fun games, or are you making it from other regulars who are just not playing as well as you?

[/ QUOTE ]

there is always a little bit of both.

holla

Degen
06-14-2005, 07:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but you DO have to make quite a few adjustments from even the 109s. the play is MUCH more aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

what kinds of adjustments?

raptor517
06-14-2005, 08:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

but you DO have to make quite a few adjustments from even the 109s. the play is MUCH more aggressive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what kinds of adjustments?

[/ QUOTE ]

i actually push a bit less in the 215s, and occasionally loosen my calling requirements. i play a couple more hands in the early stages as well. holla

slickpoppa
06-14-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm surprised that you think the money is better at 200 SNGs. I would think that you could make A LOT more 6 tabling 5/10NL and 10/20NL, maybe something like 4 tables of 5/10 and 2 tables of 10/20. True, you might need more concentration and the swings sre high, but you said your goal was to make as much money as possible.

EnderFFX
06-14-2005, 10:28 AM
I thought i read somewhere that you could only 4 table at Euro? Good luck zeejustin, i'm setting similiar goals once my new place has DSL set up. Of course I'll be playing the $10-$30 tourneys /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scuba Chuck
06-14-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised that you think the money is better at 200 SNGs. I would think that you could make A LOT more 6 tabling 5/10NL and 10/20NL, maybe something like 4 tables of 5/10 and 2 tables of 10/20. True, you might need more concentration and the swings sre high, but you said your goal was to make as much money as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, how much more could you make 6 tabling 5/10NL? If he expects to earn a 14% ROI while 8 tabling, he expects to average about $240+ an hour. Is there significantly more money in NL cash games?

freemoney
06-14-2005, 01:21 PM
well he can get closer to 10-12 an hour not 8 so a 14% ROI would be over 300+.

ZeeJustin
06-14-2005, 03:08 PM
8 tabling is easier than it sounds. 90% of the time, all I do is fold, so I'm rarely playing more than 1 or two hands at a time. I do reload them instantly, and never understood why people would do them in sets.

I have 2 dell 2001 FP's, and when I 12 table, I just put 6 on one screen. There is a bit of overlap, but it's not tough. For a while, I was 8 tabling on my laptop (while i was overseas), and never had any problem doing that despite tons of overlap.

The players in the 215s are much tougher than they are at any of the smaller buyin sngs, but I've played so many sngs lifetime, that I know what to do in virtually every situation. I'm not saying I play perfectly, but I can hold my own vs just about anyone in these sngs.

When you 8 table, you play about 10 or 11 an hour, so it is possible to make well over $300 an hour 8 tabling, and even more 12 tabling. There aren't many poker players that make more than that. Even lots of the ultra high stakes online players that play one or two tables at a time dont make that much.

wulfheir
06-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Did you play a session today? Or just getting started on it now?

Atropos
06-14-2005, 03:32 PM
6 tabling 6 max NL = around 450 hands / hour --> If you can beat these games for more than 2.7 PTBB you would make more than 240$. There are some players that can do that but many who cant, since 6tabling nl 6-max is much tougher than 8 tabling sit&gos of comparable earn rates...

stew77
06-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Justin, where did u start your online career .... your only 19 and youve done quite well.... have u always been a winning player? just curious on the early days of your online career?

good luck in your sng's

pineapple888
06-14-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I played 94 sngs and made $4,220

I finished 1st in 5 of my first 10 sngs, and even cashed in 2 more of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming one second and one third for your other two cashes, then you made $3850 in the first 10 and $370 in the next 84.

No conclusions to draw yet. Just a typical example of SnG volatitity. Eager to see how the 1000 go.

zipppy
06-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Hey ZJustin-
Have you been playing these? Any updates? Good luck--
Zipppy

slavic
06-15-2005, 09:49 PM
so it is possible to make well over $300 an hour 8 tabling,

That is significantly more than I make 4 tabeling 15/30, if you did a linear move to 8 tabeling I might be close with rakeback, but there is nothing linear in adding tables in a very aggressive and faster moving game.

I decided to spend time on sng's this month, maybe I would do better to just spend next week playing 300 or so and see how my winrate would fair.

ZeeJustin
06-15-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so it is possible to make well over $300 an hour 8 tabling,

That is significantly more than I make 4 tabeling 15/30, if you did a linear move to 8 tabeling I might be close with rakeback, but there is nothing linear in adding tables in a very aggressive and faster moving game.

I decided to spend time on sng's this month, maybe I would do better to just spend next week playing 300 or so and see how my winrate would fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be better off working on your game and your multi tabling. 1 BB / hour at 6 tables of 30/60 is a nice $360 an hour. Higher winrates and more tables are certianly possible too.

slavic
06-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Did I mention I was bored?