PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I confuse the letter "b" with "p"

bholdr
06-14-2005, 05:17 AM
Sometimes when I'm jotting something down, i'll intend to write a "b" and it'll end up coming out a "p". Like, if i'm scrawling out "be back in ten minutes" it'll come out "be pack in ten minutes". once in awhile I'll type it like that, too- but each have to be like one 1/1000 times that i attempt to write the letter. I don't seem to notice any simaler problems or symptoms, but I did just read a poker post that said "loosen up a pit"- huh? I re-read it and saw "loosen up a bit". 'p's and 'b's are the only letters it happens with, and it seems to be just the lower case versions. hmmmm.

I wonder if this quirk is some kind of minor dislexia, just some bad wiring, maybe a remnant of an early-childhood misunderstanding, or what?

billyjex
06-14-2005, 05:18 AM
i think this means you're retarded.

Blackjack
06-14-2005, 05:19 AM
Your parents probably didn't hug you enough.

belloc
06-14-2005, 05:24 AM
My three year olds do this, too. Don't feel bad.

bholdr
06-14-2005, 05:28 AM
"i think this means you're retarded"
"Your parents probably didn't hug you enough."
"My three year olds do this, too. Don't feel bad."

*rolling my eyes* what'r you, 15? c'mon.

Blarg
06-14-2005, 05:49 AM
Sorry to say, but there is something going on with that. It might be simple aging or some sort of minor neurological damage. But it's real, all right, and it's not good.

I used to never, ever, ever in my life misspell "two" for "too" or "to." And I mean EVER, since I was a tiny kid. My whole life I've been a great speller and pretty much a fanatic on little mistakes like these, figuring them as signs of either outright stupidity or a bizarre level of carelessness, but more the former -- because once you know, HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW? There's no active cogitation involved or needed any more at that point; you just know it, and for the rest of your life. How could you know it -- something so simple -- yet scribble out the wrong thing? What you actually KNOW is wrong?

Now, I do it occasionally myself and don't even notice it. I do it with other homonyms now too. Peak and peek, or something. There's no doubt that I know the difference and that spelling is zero problem for me. Yet I do it anyway. Why? I wish I knew, but I don't like it. And I can't stop it. It's not simple forgetfulness, since it's something I'm never in any doubt of knowing, and have to do no mental searching for whatever to get right. It's just that somehow, the spelling of homonyms occasionally gets switched. And I look at the result on the paper and go, What the hell? How could I possibly have done that?

Something has been lost along the way. Probably age-related; people start lose the keenness of their memories as early as in their 30's. And now I'm stuck with it. I'm hoping it's not a signal of particularly progressive cognitive impairment.

RunDownHouse
06-14-2005, 08:54 AM
pholdr?

Lazymeatball
06-14-2005, 09:07 AM
do you ever confuse your a's and e's, like in the word simaler?

The4Aces
06-14-2005, 09:27 AM
i do this also. EXACT same problem. For me is started when i was like 14. I am trying to think about it though and i havent done it in probably 3 months. It just kind of comes and goes.

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think this means you're crosseyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeti
06-14-2005, 10:20 AM
When you go playing golf do you find yourself complimenting people's asses?

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HaHaHaHaHa /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Skjonne
06-14-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bwned

poker-penguin
06-14-2005, 11:12 AM
pro, this chust means you starting to ket a samoan accent. Don't be frightened, it's not a pad thing.

bholdr
06-14-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
used to never, ever, ever in my life misspell "two" for "too" or "to." And I mean EVER, since I was a tiny kid. My whole life I've been a great speller and pretty much a fanatic on little mistakes like these, figuring them as signs of either outright stupidity or a bizarre level of carelessness, but more the former -- because once you know, HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW? There's no active cogitation involved or needed any more at that point; you just know it, and for the rest of your life. How could you know it -- something so simple -- yet scribble out the wrong thing? What you actually KNOW is wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, it bugs the hell out of me. I notice that it gets worse when i smoke pot. (suprise, suprise)

Blarg
06-14-2005, 12:26 PM
It's really weird and it bugs me a lot.