PDA

View Full Version : I should have just pushed all-in pre-flop right?

pearljam
06-14-2005, 05:06 AM
I have to give this guy credit, that all-in was a really good move. In fact he played very well the whole tournament which leads me to believe that his hand range is'nt that good hear. I THINK the best move is push pre- flop, and I think that even though I did limp in I should call this all-in.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t5705)
SB (t820)
BB (t335)
Hero (t1140)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls t300, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t5705 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t6455

Shilly
06-14-2005, 05:08 AM
If you're going to enter the pot at all, do so with a push. As long as the button's range of calling isn't super-loose, I'm pushing most of the time here.

Mr_J
06-14-2005, 05:28 AM
His range should be extremely wide here, any 2. Calling here says you might have a good hand but are not willing to risk going in when there is 1 very short stack, and the other guy ain't to healthy either. You DON'T want to be called here, which is why you push preflop (to maximise folding equity). I really don't think this is a situation to get tricky, but to play it straight and let him know.

shadyridr
06-14-2005, 10:21 AM
The BB only has 1BB here. I like the fold to get into the money.

lastchance
06-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Damn, I think open-folding might be a good idea here. If Button is good, there's no way you're open-limping, except with this spot, you just ITM'd getting BB to fold down to 35 chips.

So, open-limping isn't horrible. Open-pushing doesn't get you the chips you need... And open-folding?

I think open-limping is actually better than open-folding here, cuz either BB's getting down to 35 chips, or he has two people all-in with him.

wulfheir
06-14-2005, 10:38 AM
I push this PF. It's a great place to double up, but I'd be happy with just picking up the blinds.

By folding, you are now left with &lt;2BB next hand.

lastchance
06-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Getting called here by Button here would REALLY, REALLY suck. If Button was calling my all-in with any 2, this is a clear fold.

Since BB is also calling with any 2, I really don't know about a push, cuz you're really not picking up the blinds.

wulfheir
06-14-2005, 10:43 AM
I push this PF. It's a gre

NotReady
06-14-2005, 10:55 AM
I had a hand similar to this recently with AQ. I pushed, was called by BS in SB (~4500t), and BB (~40t), folded. I lost, and finished fourth. My stack at the time was ~1500 and the other player was about ~1100.

In this situation, why not call, then if the play proceeds as happened in this hand, fold. The goal is to make sure the small stack doesn't get an easy win in the BB, for instance if the BS tries to preserve the bubble.

I don't think of myself as very good at S&amp;G's, and have only been fooling around with them a few times a week, so take this for what it's worth.

Edit: I don't remember BS hand, but it was pretty bad, I was about 70-30 and lost.

the_joker
06-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Probably an easy push. If the big stack is a total maniac that will call you with any two cards, then it's an easy fold. You don't want to call especially with AK. Definitely don't call then fold.

bkm
06-14-2005, 02:33 PM
I think it depends on what your main goal is.

Is it to

1)Play for first

or

2)Play to get ITM and then go for first.

In the first scenario, if I know the BS is going to push any 2 if I limp then I limp, call his push and double up most of the time.

In the second scenario, since the BB only has t35 left after posting the blind, I limp and hope the BS limps so that we can get the BB to put in his last t35 and check him down. If the BS pushes and the BB folds to save his last t35 then I fold. But, if the BB puts in his last t35, then I push.

NotReady
06-14-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on what your main goal is.

Is it to

1)Play for first

or

2)Play to get ITM and then go for first.

[/ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't this be determined by the current situation? At least in part. And when 1st seems unlikely, 3rd is better than 4th.

That's the way I thought when I started STT's, then changed to more aggressive, as in the AQ push, but now think I should change again to take into account my chances of 1st versus ITM.

Vee Quiva
06-14-2005, 02:54 PM
I think the most important thing here is to make the Big Blind play the hand. I can't tell you how many times I have seen idiots on the bubble, fold to the BB and let him live.

So I don't think that limping in with AK was so bad. Now the big stack has chips to spare and he made a great move to put you all in.

So the question is are you willing to settle for 3rd. I don't see you having a chance of winning if you fold here. You just don't have enough chips.

I think you're best move is to shove them all in from the get go. If the big stack is smart, he stays out of it. If he runs into a hand, then that's poker and maybe you hit the flop.

Either way, you're worst option is folding without betting. You probably have the best hand and you need to force the Big Blind to play this hand.

ChoicestHops
06-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Bad move. You are folding AK with 800 chips left and 300 blinds. This is an instacall.