PDA

View Full Version : 2 hands vs an Overly Agressive thinking player

Mikey
06-14-2005, 04:55 AM
The setting is the Borgata.
The game in question is 20-40 HE.
We are 5 handed because of some walkers and some players and about to fill in.

I'm in seat 4 and the overly agressive is in seat 3.
This player is overly agressive and he's a thinking player: sometimes he releases hands but other times he gets stubborn and stays in, he loves making over agressive moves such as checkraising a 9 out flush draw on the turn, and bluffing here and there. Trying to impress the table- that type of kid.

I would like to know your thoughts on both these hands.

My image at the table is solid and some of the players to my left keep complaining that every time I play a hand I always raise it up.

I'm in the SB and its folded to the Button who raises it up.
I look down at 99 and make it 3 bets the BB folds and the button as fast as he can reach it for chips puts in a 4th bet. I call.

The flop is AAQ with 2 diamonds.

What are you plans for the rest of the hand?

Hand 2:

Same exact situation and its the next round. I'm in the SB again and its folded to him, he open raises. I 3-bet with 66 from the SB. He calls.

The flop is J 5 7r.

I lead out, he pauses, looks at me and puts in a raise.

What are you plans for the rest of the hand?

Blackjack
06-14-2005, 06:23 AM
I'm stumped on how to take an aggressive stance in the first hand. It's very possible that you're already beat and you don't really even have implied odds to try and peel a 9 off on the river.

The second hand I would 3 bet and lead out on a non A/K turn. It's very possible he put you on 2 high cards as well but he thinks his are better.

Blackjack

AlwaysWrong
06-14-2005, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm stumped on how to take an aggressive stance in the first hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

And why would you want to do that?

The big problem in the first hand is can you call down without it being super obvious to your opponent that he has no fold equity? If you check-call, check-call, you probably make the river way too easy for him - he bets when he's ahead and checks-behind when he's behind.

For this reason I'd consider betting out on the river after check-calling the flop and turn. Problem there, obv, is that a good thinking player will just raise you a lot in that case.

Overall I think this is just a spot where you don't have really great options against an aggressive thinking player while out of position. I would just check-call all the way, conceding the edge in the hand and letting your opponent overplay if they'd like to. Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do.

Blackjack
06-14-2005, 07:01 AM
Umm what's wrong with check/folding this flop? Or check/calling then leading out on the turn?

cpitt398
06-14-2005, 08:40 AM
i think you got to let go of the first one and 3 bet the second one.

DcifrThs
06-14-2005, 09:22 AM
id be prepared to release hand 1 unless he loves all pairs equally, then im check calling it down hoping he checks behind the river.

hand 2, however, you are NOT folding. in fact, he is thinking and may in fact have a 7 or another pair higher than 6's. in these spots where i lead and get raised by a thinking overagressiveplayer i call and check raise the turn. he can be counted on to bet, you may still be ahead and if you are im sure its not by a massively wide margin.

its dangerous if it gets checked behind and he hits the river, which is why you dont do that vs. a non agro guy, but this guy looks to be ripe for it.

another fine line is calling and betting a favorable (non a/k) turn. if he's really overagro i'd say call his turn raise and river bet down, but if he's still raising and betting w/ no draw out there you're probably in some trouble and can lay it down.

as a rule though, i dont like putting in so much money (by 3 betting) on a flop like that with a marginal hand where you're just going to make your later street decisions lean more towards a call when they should have been a fold had you not put so much money in there. it also puts pressure on your opponent to makebigger mistakes in smaller pots.

HOWEVER, the flip side to that is, against some people, its way way way correct to go nuts preflop and on the flop if they are folding to easily on the later streets. in this case, you are inducing yoru opponent to make a 'mathematical catastrophic'ly incorrect fold.

just somethings to think about.
Barron

gonores
06-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Hand 1, I'm inclined to release on the flop. If the flop were AA7 or something like that, I would be more inclined to call a flop bet and let him decide what he wants to do on the turn. On a AAQ board, you're almost certainly going to face a turn bet, since gutshots are likely holdings for you in his eyes, and by the time I've already mentally committed 1.5BBs to this pot post-flop, I'm going to start thinking about investing a bit more to make a move on this pot, but I don't think a move is going to work often enough here to be profitable. Long story short, I fold immediately and wait to be in position against him.

Hand 2, either 3bet and call down after a cap, or stop-and-go the clown.

Mikey
06-15-2005, 05:24 AM
The first hand I checked he bet and I folded.

He flips up 55.

----------------------------------------------------------
The 2nd hand I bet he raised, I thought for a while and said to myself if there weren't 2 overs to my 6's on this board I would play back. I folded.

He flips up K2o.

LOL. I laughed, he laughed, we all laughed.

------------------------------------------------

You see the problem I think with both these hands is because I'm out of position I believe its a lose, lose situation.

If you take the first hand and the person caps it after you raise and a flop comes up as AAQ with 2 suits, I do not want to put myself in a situation where I'm bleeding off chips and checking and calling him down.

In the 2nd situation I had the 3rd highest possible pair and I could be drawing close to dead and I did not want to get myself in the situation of bleeding off chips.

Check. Call. Check. Call.

If I did do that I'd be playing like your typical bad player.