PDA

View Full Version : Message to Wannabe RE going pro

09-28-2001, 10:56 PM
I read your posts and I just had to jump in here before it's too late:

My advice to you is to get a job. I don't think there can be more than a 10% chance that you will be able to make it a year without going broke: and if you do, there is about a 1% chance you'll make it 3 years.

I'm not trying to bring you down - I'm trying to help you out. I will give you some very specific reasons why you will fail:

1) You have no bankroll. In order to make 2K a month, you are going to have to play somewhere around 6-12 or higher a month full time. No problem - that is doable. But you should have at least 4K that is TOTALLY devoted to nothing but poker. That money does not get touched for any other purpose. No kids shoes. No dinners out.

2) You have no discipline. You said it yourself. The more you make, the more you spend. You can't do that. When you run well, you have to shore up for the tough times that are going to be coming when you eventually run bad.

3) You have nothing to fall back on. Does your wife get insurance through her job? If not then you will either have to pay for it or you will CERTAINLY go broke the 1st time one of you gets sick. You must realize that earning 1600 implies that she doesn't have much retirement built up. And you won't get squat and your social security check will be nearly non existent.

Do you have kids/plan to have kids? Don't.

FURTHERMORE:

You will find that, when you eventually start to run bad for a time, this will put a lot of stress on your marriage - especially since you don't have much alternate income and probably little or no savings.

Eventually you will go through a phase where you hate the game. This will happen. But you will still have to play. If you hate the game and you are losing...

Best of luck to you.