PDA

View Full Version : Flossin

Tyler Durden
06-14-2005, 01:25 AM
I really need to get better about flossing my teeth before bed. I absolutely hate it, and it takes like five minutes and that's a long time when all I want to do is go to sleep.

How many of you floss? Is it a part of your nightly routine?

My older sister just became a dentist and on our recent family vacation all I heard was how important this is and that gum disease is not far away if I don't start ASAP. So I have finally decided to take action.

Anyway I just flossed tonight for the first time in a long time. It reminds me, I need to schedule a teeth cleaning. Who else hates their dentist? I totally dislike mine. He's always like "this doesn't look good at all" and shakes his head at me, like I have really let him down. Well hey F you Mr. Dentist, if everyone took great care of their teeth you wouldn't make as much money now would you?

The past two appts. I've had for a teeth cleaning, I didn't go. Once I was just too tired and overslept, but at least I called to cancel. The second time, for some reason I had scheduled it for 7:30 AM, and of course I didn't wake up in time, and I didn't call to cancel. Which my mother and sister were shocked/upset about, but I was like, why is that surprising, if I didn't wake up for the appt., how am I going to wake up to call and cancel?

Tho I understand it was pretty irresponsible to not cancel.

I need to start taking better care of my teeth.

bisonbison
06-14-2005, 01:28 AM
5 minutes? What the hell?

Mouthwash - 30 seconds. Wander around the apartment, tidying up.

Floss - 1 minute, sit down at computer while flossing, finish browsing for the night.

Brush - 1 minute - bursha brusha, spit, sleep.

tbach24
06-14-2005, 01:28 AM
I agree.

06-14-2005, 01:30 AM
I still remember the pain I absorbed in one dental visit where I hadn't flossed or visited a dentist in like a year-and-a-half. Ever since then I make it a point to floss at least three times a week and visit a dentist every six months.

Tyler Durden
06-14-2005, 01:32 AM
Brushing for one minute ain't enough, Mr. Bison. Should be two minutes--30 seconds for each quadrant of your mouth. That's why the Sonicare and other electric toothbrushes have a timer set for two minutes. Two minutes.

bisonbison
06-14-2005, 01:34 AM
Hey, I'm not saying I'm perfect. I'm just saying that flossing for five minutes is nuts.

Tyler Durden
06-14-2005, 01:36 AM
To do it well and correctly, I believe takes longer than just a single minute.

-Skeme-
06-14-2005, 01:36 AM
I have severe tooth decay. They hurt daily. The dentist just drills the [censored] out of them and novocaine doesn't do a thing.

bisonbison
06-14-2005, 01:39 AM
To do it well and correctly, I believe takes longer than just a single minute.

When the hygeinist flosses your teeth in the chair, she's much closer to 1 minute than to 3.

nothumb
06-14-2005, 01:40 AM
I've got bad teeth. They don't hurt because I've been taking good care of them the last year or so, but they are still pretty stained from years of smoking and poor care.

I don't floss... I do mouthwash, brush heavily and also I chew that gum that's supposed to be good for your teeth. Anyone know if this stuff actually does anything at all?

NT

Pocket Trips
06-14-2005, 01:42 AM
not if the floss has chunks that look like a shish-ka-bob hanging from it its not

Hoopster81
06-14-2005, 01:44 AM
Chewing gum = lots of saliva

saliva = moderately antibacterial

wacki
06-14-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
they are still pretty stained from years of smoking and poor care.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.whitekit.com/images/crest_premium.jpg

Believe it or not the generic kind (CVS and OSCO) tends to be better. (more of the same chemical for the $) Spend $10 on the generic kind and impress the ladyfriend.

nolanfan34
06-14-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
30 seconds for each quadrant of your mouth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh, you know someone is in the dental biz when they use the word "quad" a lot when referring to teeth.

My wife just graduated from dental hygiene school. I get the same speech about flossing. And remember, it should be a hugging and rubbing movement when you floss, not a sawing motion. Yes, yes, insert joke about hugging and rubbing here.

Anyway, I don't know if you have insurance or not, but another option for cleaning is finding the nearest dental hygiene school. The cleaning will likely take longer, and more than one appointment potentially, but on the other hand you'll get a far more thorough cleaning than when the dentist whips you in and out of there in under an hour.

Plus, if you tell the hygiene clinic you're nervous about the cleaning or worry about the pain from it, they will likely offer nitrous or even topical anestetic, because the students usually have requirements to fill for administering those items. Which can make it more comfortable for you.

And yes, I know more about dental hygiene than I ever wished to.

bisonbison
06-14-2005, 01:46 AM
You're much better served flossing 7 times a week 1 minute a piece than flossing twice a week at 3.5 per.

TimM
06-14-2005, 01:49 AM
I used to use flossing sticks:

http://www.drleonards.com/items/75606_large.gif

Now I can't use them because of my orthodontics, and I probably spend about 30 minutes a day cleaning and flossing. Threading floss is a big pain in the ass.

My dentist and hygenist are very good and I actually enjoy going because your whole mouth feels much cleaner afterward.

-Skeme-
06-14-2005, 02:02 AM
Those look awesome.

Tyler Durden
06-14-2005, 02:14 AM
Brushing heavily is not good for your gums at all. You should apply only a little pressure.

nothumb
06-14-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Brushing heavily is not good for your gums at all. You should apply only a little pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

By heavily, I just meant often. After all meals before bed, when rising, etc.

In fact I might go brush my teeth right now.

NT

nothumb
06-14-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Spend $10 on the generic kind and impress the ladyfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luckily it's not my smile that impresses her. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NT

DavidC
06-14-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really need to get better about flossing my teeth before bed. I absolutely hate it, and it takes like five minutes and that's a long time when all I want to do is go to sleep.

How many of you floss? Is it a part of your nightly routine?

My older sister just became a dentist and on our recent family vacation all I heard was how important this is and that gum disease is not far away if I don't start ASAP. So I have finally decided to take action.

Anyway I just flossed tonight for the first time in a long time. It reminds me, I need to schedule a teeth cleaning. Who else hates their dentist? I totally dislike mine. He's always like "this doesn't look good at all" and shakes his head at me, like I have really let him down. Well hey F you Mr. Dentist, if everyone took great care of their teeth you wouldn't make as much money now would you?

The past two appts. I've had for a teeth cleaning, I didn't go. Once I was just too tired and overslept, but at least I called to cancel. The second time, for some reason I had scheduled it for 7:30 AM, and of course I didn't wake up in time, and I didn't call to cancel. Which my mother and sister were shocked/upset about, but I was like, why is that surprising, if I didn't wake up for the appt., how am I going to wake up to call and cancel?

Tho I understand it was pretty irresponsible to not cancel.

I need to start taking better care of my teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this may not make me the most popular guy, but...

Why not just floss while you play?

Get a pack of those handy pick things that have floss on them already, get a kleenex, floss, rub it off on the kleenex, etc, til you're done. Then discard pick.

Seriously, those things have made flossing SO convenient compared to how it used to be.

--Dave.

DavidC
06-14-2005, 07:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have severe tooth decay. They hurt daily. The dentist just drills the [censored] out of them and novocaine doesn't do a thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

get them to knock you out via IV, if you're not too happy with the pain

costly, but effective.

Blackjack
06-14-2005, 07:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Spend $10 on the generic kind and impress the ladyfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luckily it's not my smile that impresses her. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh - your sense of humor probably does!

Blackjack
A /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif

gorie
06-14-2005, 07:51 AM
you do need to start taking better care of your teeth. you'll regret it later.

flossing isn't that big of a deal, just do it. every day. save yourself some teeth.

and buy a sonicare toothbrush. they rule.

go to the dentist suffer through it and get whatever work done that you need. then start actually taking care of your teeth, so you won't feel so worried next time you go.

Los Feliz Slim
06-14-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and buy a sonicare toothbrush. they rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have Sonicare, then I bought the Oral B sonic toothbrush. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

chaas4747
06-14-2005, 10:32 AM
I bought one of those $2 flosser things at Target. They have replacement heads that you change out everyday. My flossing routine takes about 1 minute at night before I go to bed.

Freakin
06-14-2005, 10:38 AM
1. Flossing at least once daily is extremely important
2. Brushing too hard will cause recession of the gums that is largely irreversible.
3. I hate sonic toothbrushes
4. Crest whitestrips hurt my teeth after a few days in

I think I'm gonna have to try some of those flossing sticks.

Freakin

Wes ManTooth
06-14-2005, 10:41 AM
I never need to seek dental advice from a dentist again, all the information I will ever need is right hear in this thread... Thanks 2+2!

-Skeme-
06-14-2005, 05:07 PM
My gums bleed and hurt when I brush them. I need to eat oranges or something before I develop scurvy.

dogsballs
06-15-2005, 09:13 PM
I started flossing late. Used to get something done very 6 months at teh dentist - until I started flossing every evening before brushing. Then I went on a long run of needing no dental work done.

Floss every day!

fnord_too
06-15-2005, 09:19 PM
I floss in the mornings. Takes < 1 min. You will get faster with practice.