PDA

View Full Version : Detecting a Tell

anatta
01-13-2003, 04:36 AM
I have been running good at the 8-16 kill games in San Diego for the past month. Here is a hand where I used a tell from my opponent to pick up an extra bet on the end. The hand reminds me of a similar read of a tell by John Feeney described in his book.

After an EP raise, I am going to make it 3-bets on the button with black Kings. Before I do, the poor player in the SB begins to put his chips in. I make it three bets, and the SB calls anyway. The EP calls and we see the flop 3-way.

Flop: Js8c5h. Its checked to me, I bet, SB calls, EP folds.
Turn is the 5c, pairing the board. SB checks, I bet, SB calls.

River: Qs. The SB picks up his chips to bet. Just before he puts them down, he hesitates slightly and stares at the board. It looks like he wants to take his bet back, but he goes ahead and bets anyways. I put him on QJ. I think noticed too late that my likely overpair is still good. I do not think he has a straight and fears a full house. The hesitation was so honest and natural, like "Opps! What am I doing? Oh well, too late now" Anyways, I raise, he calls and my hand is good. He didn't show, but I think my read was correct.