PDA

View Full Version : Quitting Smoking Take 2!

Talk2BigSteve
06-14-2005, 12:24 AM
I tried to quit cold turkey a few weeks ago and that did not work.

Milo came up with this.....

[ QUOTE ]
I thought you were quitting!

Please consider the Dr. Milo plan, and do not be afraid to use Zyban/Wellbutrin (now available as generic buproprion) and/or the patch, AFTER consulting with your MD.

Step 1: Write a check to Jerry Falwell for (some amount of money that will hurt), accompanied by a note asking him to use the money to fight the evil homosexuals bent on destroying Our Way of Life.

Step 2: Give the check, in a preaddressed and stamped envelope to a trusted friend.

Step 3: Instruct the friend to mail the check the first time you light up.

4: Repeat 1-3 as needed, increasing the check amount each time. Be sure to send your money to as many anti-gay lobbying groups as possible, so you can get on all their mailing lists.

Chances are, you will never send a check out. If you do, you will never send the second.

Do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was a great idea. Tonight after I got off work I went to my friend Gregg's house. He just found out today that he is going to be a Grandfather at 46. He said "I have to quit smoking so I can be around for my grandchild."

I remembered this idea, and since he is a die hard Republican we made the following bet.

We each set Thursday the 16th of June as our day to quit giving us a few extra days of sweet nicotine.

We each wrote out a check for $250(an amount that will sting a bit) to our selected organizations.

I live in Meridian, Mississippi. So I made out my check to Rev. Fred Phelps and Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas. Don't know who he is? /images/graemlins/confused.gifThis Should Help! (http://www.godhatesamerica.com/ghfmir/main/phelpsbio.html)

Gregg wrote out his check to the Democratic National Committee.

We each now have each others checks, in envelopes, stamped and ready to go.

This better work, because I don't want a dime of my money going to that bastard!!!

Steve

mason55
06-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Steve -
I really admire your resolve. If I were you I can't imagine writing a check to Westboro under ANY circumstances. Good luck man, I reall hope you succed. I don't want to see those [censored] ers get ANY money.

Skipbidder
06-14-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I tried to quit cold turkey a few weeks ago and that did not work.

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep up the good fight. I second the idea to consider the patch.

[ QUOTE ]
So I made out my check to Rev. Fred Phelps

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. Please don't lose.

[ QUOTE ]
Gregg wrote out his check to the Democratic National Committee.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can this hurt him as much as your check would? The DNC are wusses. Surely you can come up with something a little more inflammatory than that. ACLU. MoveOn.Org. PETA (I'm a whinging lefty, and even I'd cringe at sending a check to PETA.)

mason55
06-14-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Can this hurt him as much as your check would? The DNC are wusses. Surely you can come up with something a little more inflammatory than that. ACLU. MoveOn.Org. PETA (I'm a whinging lefty, and even I'd cringe at sending a check to PETA.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming he's a staunch repub, how about some (peacful but scary sounding) Islamic organization?

Blackjack
06-14-2005, 12:40 AM
Set the over/under on Steves nicotine breakdown?

I'll set it at 4.5 days. Taking action at -105

PM me

Blackjack

Talk2BigSteve
06-14-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming he's a staunch repub, how about some (peacful but scary sounding) Islamic organization?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree mine had some thought behind it, his was just out of the blue. So what do you suggest???

Steve

Blackjack
06-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Abbla Hubbab Blackjack Mughal Bankroll Fund

Blackjack

mason55
06-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Al-Queda? Hezbollah?

Either one would piss off a republican. Otherwise maybe some GLBT organization.

Blackjack
06-14-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Al-Queda? Hezbollah?

[/ QUOTE ]

A little extreme... Especially considering funding Al-Qaeda could get you locked up and put in jail with a 300 pound Black man named Bubba who wants to make you his bitch.

Actually, not a bad situation for you Steve!

Blackjack /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Talk2BigSteve
06-14-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Al-Queda? Hezbollah?

[/ QUOTE ]

He does not have anything against gays, so that won't work.

Steve

bisonbison
06-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Well, this'll help you bulk up to challenge bdids and MMMMMMM for 2+2's super butterweight crown.

mason55
06-14-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Al-Queda? Hezbollah?

[/ QUOTE ]

He does not have anything against gays, so that won't work.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... well, there's got to be SOMETHING he really hates. Something he's REALLY REALLY against. Make him write his check to that. The DNC is just too easy and not painful enough.

bisonbison
06-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Hmm... well, there's got to be SOMETHING he really hates. Something he's REALLY REALLY against. Make him write his check to that. The DNC is just too easy and not painful enough.

Green Party.

Skipbidder
06-14-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree mine had some thought behind it, his was just out of the blue. So what do you suggest???

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Arab American Institute (AAI)
http://www.aaiusa.org/

Stuey
06-14-2005, 12:58 AM
You have done a few very good things to ensure you will win this battle. You have to do more; you have to do everything possible.

I quit for 4 years now, and the fight is not over.

Learn everything you can about quitting and do everything they say. Here are some of the things I did. But it is not everything just the stuff that worked for me.

1. Keep very busy for the first 2 weeks. Take your mind of the fact you want a smoke.

2. Drink water, lots of it. Very important.

3. Don't drink booze. Weakens your resolve more than you can imagine.

4. Exercise often. You need something to make you happy since smoking can't do it anymore.

5. Avoid activities you associate with smoking. Talking on the phone, using the computer, driving in your car. Sounds impossible to avoid these things but try to limit them for the first few days.

There is tons more you can do, but do it all. Most important thing is if you fail this time try again, and again. I tried hundreds of times before I got this far, and if I start again I plan on quitting again. Don't make that idiot rich however. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gl Steven

Talk2BigSteve
06-14-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Green Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even Better than Green Party (http://www.cpusa.org/donate)

Steve

SmileyEH
06-14-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

PM me

Blackjack

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe in steve. I'll take $105 on the over from the time of steve's orignal post.

-SmileyEH

Skipbidder
06-14-2005, 01:07 AM
This is a fun game.
MoveOn.Org is still my favorite suggestion--should be enough to make any conservative twitch.

How about Air America instead?

Greenpeace (reluctant to suggest this one, since I'd also rather not see them getting money...unlike most of the other suggestions I've made).

Center for Constituional Rights (www.demaction.org)
http://www.demaction.org/dia/organizations/ccr/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=831

Daily Kos

mason55
06-14-2005, 01:08 AM
www.lp.org (http://www.lp.org)?

Talk2BigSteve
06-14-2005, 01:09 AM
I have 4 full packs and 5 left in my pack so I have 85 cigarettes to suck down before Wednesday at Midnight, Central Time!!!

I would hate to see them go to waste /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Steve

GoblinMason (Craig)
06-14-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

PM me

Blackjack

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe in steve. I'll take $105 on the over from the time of steve's orignal post.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

razor
06-14-2005, 01:16 AM
Good luck Steve!

Talk2BigSteve
06-14-2005, 01:37 AM
I believe I can do it!!! I have printed out this picture and put it on my dresser where I normally keep my cigarettes for that first smoke in the morning.

http://img40.echo.cx/img40/5536/godhates2op.png

If that does not help nothing will /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Steve

tbach24
06-14-2005, 01:38 AM
A better idea:

Address it to me, I can pretend to hate homosexuals as well if you want /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BigBaitsim (milo)
06-14-2005, 01:43 AM
GL Steve. I'd really hate to see those f*ckers get a dime of your money. Your buddy really should choose something more distasteful to a conservative, like Moveon.org. Damn, I hope he loses.

Do not be afraid of the patch. While on it you will remain addicted to nicotine, but will begin to break the Stimulus-Response Cycle that makes the addiction so potent. Step down slowly. Understand you WILL have some cravings, and you WILL gain 10-20 pounds. Hang in there. Exercise daily, avoid alcohol and have lots of sex. All will help.

bisonbison
06-14-2005, 01:48 AM
Milo, what are you moderating? Other than your patients' enthusiasm for life?

Talk2BigSteve
06-14-2005, 01:49 AM
Has anyone quit with the patches and how do they make you feel, I tried them about 8 years ago, and the ones I had then made me itch horribly.

Have they got better?

Steve

BigBaitsim (milo)
06-14-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Milo, what are you moderating? Other than your patients' enthusiasm for life?

[/ QUOTE ]

This one your gonna have to figger out for yourself.

mason55
06-14-2005, 01:52 AM
I know a few people who have used the patch. They complain that you are buzzing for the first four hours but you can't really control cravings. Since the delivery of nicotine tapers off, after about 12 hours you start freaking out and really needing some nicotine. Supposedly the gum or inhaler are better cause you use it when you need it. This is all second hand though, when I quit I did it cold turkey. It obviously didn't stick, I"m smoking while I write this.

bisonbison
06-14-2005, 01:56 AM
This one your gonna have to figger out for yourself.

Well, I'd already taken the two seconds to confirm that it was the psych forum. I just wanted to get in a cheapshot.

LostMyMoney
06-14-2005, 01:59 AM
Steve,
I know I am repeating myself verbatum from the last time that you tried to quit but this really helped me quit smokes when I did earlier this year:

I quit about two months ago and every time that I see a cig I want to have one. Actually everytime that I think about them I want to have them. I want to have one right now...

Quitting is hard but smoking is an ACTIVE addiction. In order to smoke you need to buy a pack, get a lighter, put a smoke in your mouth, and light it up. To quit you simply have to not do these things (easier said than done but this helped me)

Something else that helped me A LOT was making the below picture the background on my computer. I stare at this every day and it really helps. Good luck, stay strong.

warning, the below picture is nasty it is a cancerous lung

if you dont want to see it scroll down

its really gross what we do to ourselves...

http://www.haltthehabit.com/pictures/lung_disease_buergers_disease/lung_cancer_lung_002.jpg

Lungs are supposed to be pink... with this as your desktop background, the antigay picture where you keep your smokes, the check you made out to the hateful leader, and the support you have from your friends and internet friends here I think that you have as good of a chance of quitting as anyone.

Good luck, your life is more important than this.

-LMM

BigBaitsim (milo)
06-14-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know a few people who have used the patch. They complain that you are buzzing for the first four hours but you can't really control cravings. Since the delivery of nicotine tapers off, after about 12 hours you start freaking out and really needing some nicotine. Supposedly the gum or inhaler are better cause you use it when you need it. This is all second hand though, when I quit I did it cold turkey. It obviously didn't stick, I"m smoking while I write this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the patch better, because it breaks the Craving --> Use --> Feel Better pathway. The gum will not do this, and the inhaler makes you look like you are sucking on a tampon. Bleh.

Nothing completely controls cravings.

SackUp
06-14-2005, 02:17 AM
I thought you were turning straight at first.

Do you see why?

GL on quitting. It is such a horrible habit. Me and my cousin broke and flushed sooo many cigarettes when we were young. Got my aunt so pissed. Oh the days.

thatpfunk
06-14-2005, 03:48 AM
Wow, the Matt in Hell picture is horrible. What a [censored] [censored].

Blarg
06-14-2005, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You have done a few very good things to ensure you will win this battle. You have to do more; you have to do everything possible.

I quit for 4 years now, and the fight is not over.

Learn everything you can about quitting and do everything they say. Here are some of the things I did. But it is not everything just the stuff that worked for me.

1. Keep very busy for the first 2 weeks. Take your mind of the fact you want a smoke.

2. Drink water, lots of it. Very important.

3. Don't drink booze. Weakens your resolve more than you can imagine.

4. Exercise often. You need something to make you happy since smoking can't do it anymore.

5. Avoid activities you associate with smoking. Talking on the phone, using the computer, driving in your car. Sounds impossible to avoid these things but try to limit them for the first few days.

There is tons more you can do, but do it all. Most important thing is if you fail this time try again, and again. I tried hundreds of times before I got this far, and if I start again I plan on quitting again. Don't make that idiot rich however. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gl Steven

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree strongly about not drinking. People who want to quit smoking always find it really hard to not smoke when they're drinking. It just all goes together so well. (Plus of course drinking impairs your judgment and lowers your inhibitions -- and you're trying to build UP an inhibition!) I've known so many people trying to quit smoking who've told me they're screwed if they take a drink.

That can be one of the extremely hard thing for people trying to quit smoking and drinking -- you're way better off if you take yourself out of the situations where everyone's smoking and drinking. Like your favorite Friday trip to the bar with your buddies, or something. Sucks a lot.

Blarg
06-14-2005, 04:44 AM
Very funny and interesting way of trying to quit, Steve. Good luck!

And very clever, Milo.

Steve, do something flamingly hetero, like wearing brown shoes all day, if you puff up, too. No fair wearing them with clothes that match!

The active humiliation of seeing them on your feet all day and knowing you dress no better than a heterosexual will be a strong disincentive.

Other suggestions? Wear suspenders and a belt AT THE SAME TIME. Or, wear a V-neck sweater AND a tie.

There are probably more like that, but I'm not qualified to know.

Talk2BigSteve
06-14-2005, 07:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very funny and interesting way of trying to quit, Steve. Good luck!

And very clever, Milo.

Steve, do something flamingly hetero, like wearing brown shoes all day, if you puff up, too. No fair wearing them with clothes that match!

The active humiliation of seeing them on your feet all day and knowing you dress no better than a heterosexual will be a strong disincentive.

Other suggestions? Wear suspenders and a belt AT THE SAME TIME. Or, wear a V-neck sweater AND a tie.

There are probably more like that, but I'm not qualified to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you have never seen a picture of me, to make a dressing hetero comment. LOL

Steve

Rotating Rabbit
06-14-2005, 08:30 AM
Stop smoking.

Get some determination. Die before you have another cigarette.

I do a lot of hiking/trekking. A few years ago I was once in a group with two overweight individuals, and we were climbing up this bitch of a hill with heavy loads. I'm in shape and I was finding it tough. Those two were obviously going through something else. One continually sat down and whined the whole way. The other, who was probably less fit, was silent the whole way and just kept going, and passed out at the top. Now thats determination. Get some.

Jersey Nick
06-14-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone quit with the patches and how do they make you feel, I tried them about 8 years ago, and the ones I had then made me itch horribly.

Have they got better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I just quit 6 months ago using the patch. I combated the itching by washing the spot where the patch had been really well right after I removed it. Then I used moisturizer on it. The red spot also goes away much faster.

GL
Nick

Bluffoon
06-14-2005, 10:12 AM
I think that if you are looking for gimmicks tricks and aids to quit smoking you are going to fail. You just have to suck it up and not smoke. You are going to feel like [censored] for a long time. Just accept it and go about your life not smoking.

Im not just blowing smoke. (pun intended) I quit second try cold turkey after 20 years of a pack a day no gum no patch no sealed envelopes. The first time I really wasnt prepared for how bad I would feel. After about a week I realized how [censored] up it was and I started again. The second time I knew what I was in for so I was ready.

Just quit.

The Stranger
06-14-2005, 10:26 AM
I don't know anything about quitting smoking. I have been clean and sober since August 19, 2002 though.

I suggest that you pray for the obsession for tobacco to be removed. It doesn't matter so much which god you believe in or how strong your faith is. Its all about willingness to take the action.

Talk2BigSteve
06-14-2005, 11:03 PM
I have 25 hours and 57 minute before quit time and I have 32 smokes left. I smoked 53 cigarettes today /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Can't let them go to waste.

Steve

fluxrad
06-14-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have 25 hours and 57 minute before quit time and I have 32 smokes left. I smoked 53 cigarettes today /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - You are so [censored].

cbfair
06-14-2005, 11:44 PM
I agree with the posters who say, "just do it". It will be hard and you will need to steele yourself for some serious cravings but its worth it.

It's helped me to remind myself that smoking is a TOTALLY unatural habit. By unatural, I mean we weren't born with the craving to smoke. I've always found it very empowering to remind myself of this simple fact when the urge hits; it helps bring perspective to the jones and minimizes it.

cbf

BigBaitsim (milo)
06-14-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, that's [censored] up. Like money already in the pot, whether you smoke or toss the cigs, the money is spent. Remember, smoking is -EV. As a poker player, you should never make a -EV play when a +EV one is available to you.

Kevin
06-14-2005, 11:52 PM
I work for GSK. We sell the patch, gum, and lozenge. Of the three, I believe that Commit Lozenge has the best clinicals. It is actually recommened if you had a relapsed quit attempt. The only thing bad about them is that the longer they are in your mouth, the flatter they become. In my mind, they are too big by the time that they are almost dissolved. When we launched Nicorette Orange about 4 years ago, I tried a sample. I had smoked a little in college, but had not had one in about 10 years. I try a sample to see how it would taste, liked it, ordered a case for sample product and Viola, I am a Nicorette addict 3 years later. I started on the 2mg and traded up to the 4mg - not exactly the strategy that we had in mind. When I run out, I will slap on a patch and I don't feel that they provide enough nicotine and I find myself scurrying through the building to find another box of gum.

I am an anomaly, though. We get thousands and thousands of letters every year that tell us how the products changed their lives, live to see grandkids, don't have a black lung, don't have to send any money to the DNC, crazy preacher, etc.

Good luck to you.

Talk2BigSteve
06-15-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, that's [censored] up. Like money already in the pot, whether you smoke or toss the cigs, the money is spent. Remember, smoking is -EV. As a poker player, you should never make a -EV play when a +EV one is available to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never thought of it that way...

Quick question...Will a pack and a half of cigarettes [censored] up a garbage disposal???

Steve

fluxrad
06-15-2005, 12:14 AM
yes.

Skipbidder
06-15-2005, 01:00 AM
You should leave them on the counter at your buddy's house. The wusses at the DNC need all the help they can get.

Talk2BigSteve
06-15-2005, 09:42 PM
I just smoked the last cigarette I had on the way home from work. I am done and I still have 3 hours and 17 minutes before the start of the actual quit day. I will do new updated to this each day because I think there are people now taking bets on me.

Steve

Stuey
06-16-2005, 12:45 AM
Give updates because it might make it harder for you to start smoking again. I don't know if you care but I think anyone who sends money to that guy should be put on the group ignore list! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Don't smoke. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

oreogod
06-16-2005, 05:38 AM
Im curious...what is it you are feeling when u try to quit but cant.

I smoked on more than a regular basis for about 3 years, and 6 months ago, I wanted to see if I could stop and went a month without smoking, and started back up, but way less often...I smoke a pack every 2.5 weeks now.

The weird thing is, I like to smoke...but wanted to know if I could quit. I literarally have to remind myself to buy a pack when I run out, and sometimes I go 2 weeks before getting around to it.

Maybe its just a individual thing, dont know, thats why Im curious. Like for me, I want to smoke, if I have one I will, but when I do, I feel I can do without it. Weird. I have ADD, so if I have nothing in my hands, I fidget, get bored, I think smoking is an extension of calming something else in my body. Oh well.

Edit: Poker also soothes that ADD itch. I can spend hours playing. But when I was starting out it sucked, I had to force myself to read through the poker books. I knew I had too and wanted to, but when it came to the act of reading them I had to force it.

Talk2BigSteve
06-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Ok, I just woke up and am ready to face the day.

I had the standard morning cough, hack, and choke that come with smoking.

I then went to the bathroom and coughed up something that could only be described as LUNG BUTTER.

Even after all that I really wanted one!!!

Last night, When I got home from the casino, I was talking with my friend Daniel and I explained the deal to him and he said "So, everytime you smoke a cigarette a gay angel loses his wings"

I thought it was very funny.

CAUTION POKER CONTENT
Last night was the first time I sat down in the poker room and did not stare at the button waiting for it to arrive in front of me so I could fold my shitty hand and say "Deal me out, I am going to smoke." I actually sat there and paid attention and the first orbit right after the dealer button I got QQ and the flop was Q82 rainbow, I ended up with a little over $70 in the pot on a 3/6 game. A hand I would have never recieved if I was outside the room smoking.
END OF POKER CONTENT

I can do this!!!

Also last night on the way to the casino, I had the A/C on in the car but something was different...I could not figure it out, then it hit me. I did not have the window open just a crack to flick cigarettes out of /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can do this!!!!

Steve

Talk2BigSteve
06-16-2005, 09:55 AM
It is a craving, and hand something hand to mouth. Last night at the casino I went to the Ice cream shop and purchased a Jelly Belly dispenser, and also got 3 pounds of SUGAR FREE Jelly Belly Jelly Beans. I am going to see if that helps stop the hand to mouth cravings. I also have Tic Tacs.

I have nothing to do today, and I don't smoke in the house. So as long as I don't go outside today, I should be fine. This is my plan for Day 1 anyway.

Steve

Shajen
06-16-2005, 10:08 AM
chew gum.

It worked for me.

Also, sun flower seeds.

Talk2BigSteve
06-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Well it is almost Midnight so I am pleased to announce that Day 1 is complete.

I did test myself by going into a convience store as well as out to the bar tonight, I did eat some of the pretzels, which I never do, but once again, hand to mouth habit.

It was difficult but not as bad as I had invisioned.

If you have quit cold turkey did you get sweats the first day? It was 91 degrees here today, so I could not tell if it was the weather or if it was not smoking that was the cause.

I think I got this under control.

Steve

Blarg
06-17-2005, 12:55 AM
You can still get fat as hell and get plenty of tooth decay off sugar free stuff. Watch out.

The Goober
06-17-2005, 01:07 AM
Since I've quit, I go through probably 20+ toothpicks a day. I find it really helps to chew one when I crave a cigarette. I also recommend buying lots and lots of baby carrots.

Blarg
06-17-2005, 01:14 AM
I think Steve may resort to satisfying oral cravings in ways we don't want to hear about.

Stuey
06-17-2005, 03:05 AM
Gratz on day 1.

Couple things to remember.

1. Don't test yourself. For the first few weeks make it as easy as possible to not smoke. Don't go to places you used to like to have a smoke and don't drink. Avoid stress of any kind.

2. Drink water. This is so important and will help your cravings and withdrawl symptoms.

3. Exercise. Pushups maybe? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2611635&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1) /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You made it 24 hours what did you gain so far?

20 minutes after quitting: Your blood pressure drops to a level close to that before the last cigarette. The temperature of your hands and feet increases to normal.
(US Surgeon General's Report,1988, pp. 39, 202)

8 hours after quitting: The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
(US Surgeon General's Report,1988, p. 202)

24 hours after quitting: Your chance of a heart attack decreases.
(US Surgeon General's Report,1988, p. 202)

Not bad for 1 day keep it up! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cbfair
06-17-2005, 03:36 AM
You weren't born craving nicotine!!!!

Stick it out.

Do it for yourself.

cbfair
06-17-2005, 03:39 AM
Oh, also....

It would be a crime to give that loathsome sick f*ck one thin dime.

Please don't let that envelope be mailed!!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Blarg
06-17-2005, 05:22 AM
Really, dude. Don't let that envelope get mailed!

jakethebake
06-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Nice. One day at a time. Easy peasy Japanesey.

[ QUOTE ]
Well it is almost Midnight so I am pleased to announce that Day 1 is complete.

I think I got this under control.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

degenerategambler
06-17-2005, 11:54 AM
read Alan Carr's book. I know six individuals who have successfully quit after reading it(including myself, a 17 year smoker). Sounds crazy, but it works/helps. Well worth the fifteen bucks.The book gives you a different mental approach to breaking the smoking addiction. Good Luck.

Bluffoon
06-17-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since I've quit, I go through probably 20+ toothpicks a day. I find it really helps to chew one when I crave a cigarette. I also recommend buying lots and lots of baby carrots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quit like five years ago and I still chew like 5 toothpicks a day. Get the plastic ones they last longer.

webgator
06-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Quiting cigarettes was the hardest thing I had to do in my life, even after I was recovering from cancer treatment.

The thing that helped me most was a COMPLETE change of scenary...new job, new house, new routine, etc.

Oh and of course a very strong desire. This may sound stupid, but when you find yourself craving one tell yourself outloud that you don't need one...you don't need one. People may think you are crazy but it helps to convince yourself if you are of weak mind.

Talk2BigSteve
06-18-2005, 02:03 AM
Today was a bad day, I did not smoke but I felt worse than I did yesterday, I have been real depressed lately for alot of reasons, and not smoking does not help this fact.

Steve

ThaSaltCracka
06-18-2005, 02:05 AM
keep it up Steve!!!!!

Blackjack
06-18-2005, 02:07 AM
Goodluck Steve... Remember the over/under is 3.5 days /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Talk2BigSteve
06-18-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Goodluck Steve... Remember the over/under is 3.5 days /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you set it at 4.5?

Steve

Stuey
06-18-2005, 03:32 AM
Impressive Steve! You may not feel like it but you are doing great. I know you are going to make it. I also know you must be suffering a like a bitch. Hang in there.

thatpfunk
06-18-2005, 06:39 AM
You will get through it... Good luck.

Talk to your friends about it, thats what they're there for.

Talk2BigSteve
06-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Still have not smoked today was sooo [censored] easy as compaired to the last two days. I am going out to the club tonight...Yes that kind of club.

What do I need to bring with me to keep from craving a cigarette. I have a tin of Altoids, and some sugar-free gum. Not much of a drinker, maybe one to 2 drinks and then diet coke the rest of the time. Anything else? Oh can't forget the condoms and KY Liquid. What else???

Steve

mmbt0ne
06-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Are these clubs usually smoky? I would think it would be a pretty big test to be around a lot of smoke this early, but if you think you can do it, go for it.

As for distractions, altoids and gum should be fine. Maybe keep a straw from one of your drinks and chew on that?

tbach24
06-18-2005, 09:54 PM
A wallet sized pic of:

http://img40.echo.cx/img40/5536/godhates2op.png

Something to chew on that doesn't wear out like gum. I like MMBT0n'es suggestion of a straw. Maybe a toothpick.

Talk2BigSteve
06-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Great idea! I will cut it and put it inside my Altoids tin lid.

It is kind of smoky they turn on the exhaust fans for a minute at the the top and bottom of the hour so it helps it to clear it out.
Roxanne is doing a Drag Show tonight, and I don't want to miss it. I have known her for years.

Steve

Talk2BigSteve
06-20-2005, 12:52 AM
Today, I was actually calm most of the day. I did not need mints, candy or gum. I just didn't have the urge for any of them or a cigarette. Things are getting better.

Last night was kind of weird, If you have not smoked in a while and then are around people who are smoking the smoke smells a lot different when you can actually breathe yourself.

I am doing great. In the morning will be my first day back to work since the quit. I only work 3 days a week 12 hours shifts, and get paid for 40 hours. I am so use to taking a ton of breaks. What should I do for my breaks? I don't want to go outside with the smokers, but I don't want to turn into Mr.I quit so [censored] off to my friends that do smoke at work.

Steve

Larimani
06-20-2005, 01:25 AM
Take your breaks & chat with your friends. You're now a non-smoker. Make sure they see you that way.

Also, well done for quitting. I quit for 1 year last year. Cold turkey as well. It's really not that hard. Cravings are gone within a week. Then it's a question of staying a non-smoker... It's just too easy to ask a mate for 1 tiny drag on his [censored] on a night out "to recall what it taste like"... The tinest amount of nicotine will hit you HARD. It will feel like [censored] heroin. You will go straight back to addiction. That's what happened to me. Don't do it...

That said, your post has inspired me to quit smoking again.

GL

Talk2BigSteve
06-20-2005, 07:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

That said, your post has inspired me to quit smoking again.

GL

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I hope you do as well as I have been doing.

Steve

Blarg
06-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Keep going, man. You've got the rest of your life to feel proud of yourself if you manage it, which isn't bad at all. It's huge ammunition in your self-respect arsenal to know you're stronger than you thought. It's great to have that behind you, backing you up.

Talk2BigSteve
06-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Work was great! Everyone was so proud of me because they know how much I chain smoke! I only took 3 breaks today, instead of 1 at the top of every hour. I work 12 hour shifts. I do have a bad headache today, but I think it is unrelated.

I got this!!!

So whoever bet against me...I made the 4.5 days over/under. Please make deposits to my PS account :WWJBet /images/graemlins/grin.gif j/k

Steve

mason55
06-20-2005, 11:55 PM
Steve -
Somebody gave me this advice once and it helped when I decided to quit for awhile (I wasn't doing it for the right reasons so it didn't stick).

You are not "quitting." You are a "non-smoker." You don't smoke. You're not trying to quit, you don't smoke. Just keep that mindset any time you're confronted with friends you used to smoke with.

cbfair
06-21-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Steve -
Somebody gave me this advice once and it helped when I decided to quit for awhile (I wasn't doing it for the right reasons so it didn't stick).

You are not "quitting." You are a "non-smoker." You don't smoke. You're not trying to quit, you don't smoke. Just keep that mindset any time you're confronted with friends you used to smoke with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this sentiment, particularly during the early phases. However, I've found over the years that no matter how long I go without a smoke, there are moments of weakness when it just seems like a good idea to have one. During the maintenance phase (which is the rest of our lives) I like to refer to myself as a Non-Smoking Smoker; This reminds me that I am forever bound to this horrible addiction and must always be vigilant and strong.

cbf

ChoicestHops
06-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Ive tried to quit, but it's extremely hard. I used the patch and did fine with step 1 and 2. Step 3, however, f'd me over. I think it's only 3mg of nicotine in 24 hrs, which is a cigarette and a half of a full flavor.

My mind starts to race when I need nicotine. Everything slows down and speeds up at the same time. I'll get pain between my eyes, almost like a small headache. Maybe some day, but I guess Im not quitting for the right reasons..