PDA

View Full Version : baggins to L.A.

baggins
01-13-2003, 01:58 AM
hey all.

been awhile since i've come around here. been quite busy with other things.

i am coming to los angeles on the 22nd and staying until the 26th. i wanted to know how far away Hollywood Park is from LAX? i know its close, but not how close. how much would a cab ride cost me? are there shuttles that go from the airport to a nearby hotel, or anything?

i am staying with friends, and i don't want to cut out in the middle of the day when im there and have to borrow a car to go play poker (though i do miss the unique action and skill-level of los angeles' finest low limit sharks...). so i was thinking i might just hoof it over there when i get off the plane and play a few hours before my buddy's flight lands and then we BOTH get picked up. or something. i don't know.

unless somebody plays there regularly and wants to pick me up from LAX (slim chance of that, i know.) to go over there for a while.

i don't know.

anyway, ill be in town, though not for long enough to get out and see anybody other than the friends i will be staying with.

hope to get out again sometime soon and play some poker and perhaps meet some of you cats.

baggins

Ray Zee
01-13-2003, 11:54 AM
glad the maggots didnt get you my man.
h.p. is about a ten minute cab ride i guess.

mike l.
01-17-2003, 01:27 AM
"are there shuttles that go from the airport to a nearby hotel, or anything?"

dont take a cab. save your money and get on a local bus and go straight up century to prairie and youll see the huge hollywood park right there on the corner. it's like 5 miles from lax. century runs directly into the airport so if you just ask the first public bus (not a parking shuttle) which number bus to get on to go straight up century to hollywood park you will be as good as there.

if you see some fat dumb stuck guy calling down w/ K high at a yellow chip game that's me.

baggins
01-17-2003, 05:34 AM
thanks for the tip. if i have a bag with me, is there anywhere at HP i can store it while i play? im thinking of going straight to HP when i get in (@ like midnight) and then playing until someone wants to come pick me up. i don't know yet.

mike l.
01-17-2003, 12:53 PM
just march on in w/ your bag and if someone wants to help you check it in somewhere they will let you know. otherwise carry around w/ you shouldnt be a problem.

GOODBEATGUY2001
01-17-2003, 02:31 PM
Hi Baggins, each time I go to HP, I stay at one of the cheap albeit decent enough hotels across the street on Century Blvd. Not only is it within walking distance, you can go back anytime you feel like playing. You can also make a deal where you can stay 5 days for $250 at the Travelodge. HP is about 20-25 minute cab ride to LAX. Although I have friends and relatives there, for convenience and since I also like playing the ponies, I have time to study the form without distraction. After the races, I go back to my room, relax for awhile then walk back to play cards and return without disturbing anyone. Good luck! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

snakehead
01-17-2003, 05:33 PM
ask the bellman (across from the registration desk) to keep the bag for you. tip him $5 when you pick it up.

snakehead
01-17-2003, 05:35 PM
HP is about 20-25 minute cab ride to LAX.

did they take you by way of redondo beach?

John Feeney
01-18-2003, 01:46 AM
"I stay at one of the cheap albeit decent enough hotels across the street on Century Blvd. Not only is it within walking distance,"

I'd be careful about that walk though. The HP parking lot is not known as the safest place on the planet. (I believe dress code calls for avoiding red or blue bandanas.)

GOODBEATGUY2001
01-18-2003, 02:23 AM
Been there 3X last 2 years but didnt have any problems.You may be right, I may have just been lucky. That area is well lighted at night so I didnt feel like it was a particularly unsafe place to walk back to my room even after midnight.

baggins
01-22-2003, 04:30 AM
thanks for the info everyone. i think that i will wait until after my trip to decide if i still want to play or not. and perhaps i will just get dropped off at HP a couple hours early before my return flight. i will be staying with friends, and will need to be living pretty econo, so hotels are out. BTW i got my roundtrip airfare for $160 with Spirit Airlines (flying ou of OHare even, not Midway!). that's how econo this trip is. and i won't have too much time because i arrive late wednesday night, and leave late saturday night. so i only have 3 days to spend with very dear friends. and i can play poker in chicago (though the tables are not nearly as pushover as in LA). it will be very hard to take a chunk of time in the middle of such a trip to play poker. i am hoping it all works out for the best.