PDA

View Full Version : Starting to think about CR'ing when a made hand picks up a strong draw

sebastian_d
06-13-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm starting to think about when a made hand picks up a draw. In an example (real) hand below, I flop top pair and bet out to protect it. On the turn, I pick up a gutshot and a high 2 card flush draw.

Normally I'd bet in this spot. But I just started thinking about check/raising in this spot...

Take a look at the hand and I'll explain my reasoning.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

With the exception of a couple hands like Adxd and Kdxd, my opponent is drawing pretty slim, perhaps dead. If he has a pair, he thinks he has five outs (2 to trips, 3 to two pair. But a diamond (one or two of his outs) flush me. If one of his cards is an eight or six, it's not good for outs as it respectively makes me top two pair or a straight.

I don't want the turn checked through. But there's only three big bets in the pot and I'll only pay off 1 to a scary card or 2 to a non-scary card that makes him something like a set.

He's going to fold trash holdings a lot of the time if I bet the turn. If I check, I could inspire a bet. A check-through would be unpleasant, but not that bad assuming that most hands he'd check-through with he'd also fold for one bet here.

Furthermore, if he gets check-raised, he might call the turn, call the river when he'd normally fold to a turn bet.

River lines:
*Check-raise successful: Check/call a non-diamond ace or king or other scary card, bet/call any non-scary card or card that improves me. If I was 3bet on the turn I'd call to see the river.
*Whiff the check-raise: Check/call a scary river, bet/call a non-scary river.

I make the case that a check-raise here is the best play. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Webster
06-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Thought #1 - don't play suited Q8 in the SB in a 3/6 game, 2/4 or 5/10 yea but I say it's loose in 3/6 because you are paying to much to play it with 2/3s of a bet.

Check raiseing is an idea but I'd be afraid of scaring people off and I'd just bet mildly to keep then in the game.

lightw1thoutheat
06-13-2005, 11:34 PM
youre have only ~34% chance of winning if he has QT or QJ, which are possible holdings.

the decision between betting out the turn and c/r ing are player dependent for me. I think i i bet out on the turn more often than not though, i think you get more info and there isnt a chance of letting him draw to overcard outs for free.
-kyle