PDA

View Full Version : Am I Not Meant to Play Poker? ("Change-It-Up" Players Mess Me Up)

Blankstare
06-13-2005, 11:15 PM
This could very well be the opposite of a "Going Pro" thread so if after you read my problem your opinion is that I can't hack it in poker please say so I will not be offended.

My problem is players that change their style of play occationally really mess up my line of thinking. I find this affects me big-time in my restricted NLHE games and on a much lesser degree my LHE games.

My general line of thinking in a restricted NLHE game against standard types of players I encounter are:

-against tight players respect their raises and only challenge with huge or nut hands

-against passive/calling station players respect their big raises but attempt to steal blinds or pots in good position with big raises if they are stick to their "passive/calling station ways" in hands

-against loose players loosen up my range of playable hands when I have good position and pump huge or nut hands

Feel free to critisize mt general lines of thinking but personally these guidelines have allowed me to play an average game keeping me in the black but I am by no means a regular 2-3 BB/hr player.

Since characterizing players and mentally tracking their playing style is one of my main tactics (second only to poker math) the thing I noticed immediately is players who change it up often, mixing up loose, tight, agressive, and passive plays in all sorts of positions put me in a tail spin of self-doubt on my math and my reads.

My game of choice is NLHE and it is exactly that game that these types of player really put me in spots where I make bad decisions. When I began to troubleshoot this problem of mine it led me to an alarming line of inquiry/observations.

I notice the experienced regulars and good players are often this way and if that is the optimal way of playing and I can't seem to get a handle on it... am I the fish?

I admit, I have only studied poker online and own the basic 2+2 books recommended as good beginner ones.

Are these growing pains or am I just not meant to play poker? Should I only stick to recreational games and stay away from B&Ms? Is the only reason I am in the black is because at this time there are enough fish that are fishier then me to keep me afloat?

Thanks for you time guys.

Blankstare

EDiT - Typos

jman220
06-13-2005, 11:58 PM
Two words: "Table Selection." Yeah, players who can change their style due to table conditions are the best players. PLaying at a table against them is -EV. If you got really really good, sure you "might" be able to beat your average 2+2 TAG who knows how to adapt his style to the changing conditions, but why bother? Plenty of other tables on whatever site you're playing on, you don't get any extra money for beating a better player. Play the fish and avoid the good players. If I find a brown trout at the table, I wish them luck and split.

henrikrh
06-14-2005, 12:17 AM
It seems like everyone mixing it up except you, that may be why you are losing. If you stick with it and begin to understand your leaks you can become a profitable player, there is nothing inate that prevents you or anyone.

EStreet20
06-14-2005, 07:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
-against passive/calling station players respect their big raises but attempt to steal blinds or pots in good position with big raises if they are stick to their "passive/calling station ways" in hands

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably bleeding money here. Why attempt to steal from a calling station? I.E. yes you should raise in late position to iso one with a good hand but if your intention for raising is to steal the blinds it's never going to work. As far as stealing pots, every poker book from Brunson to Sklansky to Miller etc etc etc EMPHASIZES that you can't bluff a calling station, because get this, they call too much. Thus, even a perfectly executed bluff is a waste of money if they'll impropoerly call no matter what they think you have, even if they have A high or bottem pair. Then, taking it a level further, a good player at the table sees you get picked off on a bluff and begins coming over the top of your big raises, thus making you more and more timid.

Other than that remember that the math doesn't change no matter who you're playing with and tighten up for a while until you become comfortable again.

Good luck,
Matt