PDA

View Full Version : QQ fold

betgo
06-13-2005, 09:31 PM
SuperMonday. Should I have called here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t1815)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t875)
Button (t945)
SB (t425)
Hero (t1420)
UTG (t925)
UTG+1 (t2430)
UTG+2 (t885)
MP1 (t930)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t50</font>, SB calls t30.

Flop: (t100) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain is allin t375. Hero folds.

Final Pot: t100

lastsamurai
06-13-2005, 09:33 PM
good laydown

Crispy
06-13-2005, 09:34 PM
You made the right fold. If anything he might be on a weak A or maybe open ended straight draw. I don't think there is enough in the pot to fight over this one.

A_C_Slater
06-13-2005, 09:37 PM
It seems unlikely he would overbet the pot x3 all in if he had a good ace. He probably has a pocket pair 77-99 and he can't get away from it so he just pushes. Some sort of read would help.

Lloyd
06-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Fold looks fine. You're only in the pot for 50 and he very likely has an Ace.

DireWolf
06-13-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems unlikely he would overbet the pot x3 all in if he had a good ace. He probably has a pocket pair 77-99 and he can't get away from it so he just pushes. Some sort of read would help.

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts as well, i probably call here, maybe it that is a leak.

DireWolf
06-13-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold looks fine. You're only in the pot for 50 and he very likely has an Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does it matter how much you are in the pot for?
And why does he very likely have an ace?

yoadrians
06-13-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OR, he's shortstacked, called your raise with his 'any ace', and he hits his ace and pushes.

I, for one, think you made a decent fold here.

A_C_Slater
06-13-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts as well, i probably call here, maybe it that is a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it's early in the tourney. A lot of bad players get bored and just do things like that. They would also be sure to check raise the preflop raiser all in if they do flop an ace.

betgo
06-13-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It seemed like a strange play, because there is a good chance I have an ace since I raised, in which case I will call.

Most people are going to open raise from the SB with a medium pp and all but a really weak ace.

Lloyd
06-13-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OR, he's shortstacked, called your raise with his 'any ace', and he hits his ace and pushes.

I, for one, think you made a decent fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]
These are my reasons. Early in a tourney, even a Super, people do dumb things all the time. They call a raise with Ax and fire away if they hit the flop. I certainly don't think he has a monster. But I think it's very likely an overreaction to hitting an Ace with a weak kicker.

As for only being in the pot for T50: it makes a difference when you start looking at pot odds.

TxSteve
06-13-2005, 10:04 PM
not sure it's right...but i fold this every time and don't ever think about it again.

if the pot was bigger; i'd probably consider a call...but you're having to call 375 to possibly win 475

i believe he's got an ace too many times to make this call worthwhile. but again...i could easily be wrong as i'm not very good.

DireWolf
06-13-2005, 10:04 PM
sorry, i was probably overly nitpicking about the being in for 50 thing, i knew what you meant.

i feel like there is about a 20% chance he has a weak ace. I really think if he has an ace its A2,A3,or A4. I don't think he pushes here with two pair, nor do i thin he limps preflop then pushes with A7+.

I also feel, ala MLG's recent post, that winning these chips helps "move us up to the next threshold," while losing here doesn't move us down.

A_C_Slater
06-13-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not sure it's right...but i fold this every time and don't ever think about it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding to this overbet every time is by no means wrong. But you should be thinking about it, because there are many things worth thinking about.

Why would he want to push you out with top pair? Why wouldn't he check to a preflop raiser that will most likely follow up with a continuation whereas he can then move in or wait for the turn for you to bet again? If he thinks you have a big ace what does pushing all in accomplish?

The only way this could be a good move is that he thinks you have ace/smaller kicker and will call his bet.

Or maybe he's not thinking about anything at all and just pushing all in because (I got an ace, gotta bet it all in.)

The latter is more likely. But that doesn't mean there isn't a lot to think about.

TxSteve
06-13-2005, 10:16 PM
point taken. there is indeed a lot to think about.

a good example i think; after looking at the potential thought paths villain could be going through; of how important reads are.

thanks for the explanation.