PDA

View Full Version : set no good?

stankybank
06-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Commerce. 10-20 blinds.

I got ~5000. I played like 3 hands total. Been playing for like 1 hr. Some of the players joked that I played too tight and only played Aces, blah blah blah.

I'm in BB w/ 88. All fold to MP player ($8000) who open-raises to 70. He seems tight and solid. He's a 30ish looking white guy w/ a hat and iPod. Button, who's a decent player though I feel is a little too weak-tight cold calls. I've played w/ him before. He has ~$2500. I haven't seen him play a pot in like 2 1/2 orbits or so. I call.

Flop is J82 w/ 2 clubs. J is non-club. I check. PFR leads for 140. Button thinks for 3 seconds and raises to 300. I think for 3 seconds, count out a mini-raise, throw in the initial 300 first while saying 'raise' then reach back and put in 700 more. PFR thinks and thinks... thinks some more... and reraises to 2500 total. Button pushes after 5 seconds or so. He seems a little peeved like, "WTF? you guys raising me???"

Now what?

PS - I've been staring at PFR while button was thinking right before pushing and he was as still as a stool. When button announced all-in, PFR sort of sat up some more and kicked his chair in a little and took out a stack and started ruffling. He was looking at me and the board and the button, rinsing and repeating.

Yeti
06-13-2005, 08:44 PM
- You have middle set.

- I don't really like your flop play but it looks like it has helped you get off this hand relatively cheaply. I fold here.

stankybank
06-13-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- You have middle set.

- I don't really like your flop play but it looks like it has helped you get off this hand relatively cheaply. I fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I fixed my post.

What would you do w/ that flop?

Yeti
06-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Meh, I dunno. Did you consider leading it?

I just feel that your three-bet lets hands you're ahead of off the hook. On the other hand, it's a very draw heavy flop and you just have to accept that you're defining your hand.

I think that when PFR 4-bets(!) the flop and the button calls, you've got to get out, even if you may be live in the sidepot.

Would PFR open with 22? Maybe then you could put him on the low set and the button on a big draw, but it seems like a bit of a stretch. If he's as solid as you say the PFR isn't making this flop play without JJ or a monster draw.

Bah. Get out.

Malachii
06-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Couldn't Button easily have 22 or a 9T of clubs? Note that deuces are drawing to only one out against you.

HOH Vol 2: "When your sets get outflopped, you're supposed to lose a lot of money. When I hear someone telling a story about how he shrewdly laid down middle set after some intricate chain of reasoning convinced him he was beat, my quick (but silent) reaction is 'Idiot.'"

sniperd
06-14-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
HOH Vol 2: "When your sets get outflopped, you're supposed to lose a lot of money. When I hear someone telling a story about how he shrewdly laid down middle set after some intricate chain of reasoning convinced him he was beat, my quick (but silent) reaction is 'Idiot.'"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, I like that. This is SO read dependent. And by read I mean you've played with these guys a lot. I've seen players lose 300bb with AA on a flop like this. Maybe I'm not good enough to lay down middle set on this but I think I just say to myself, "Self, worst case, you've got 1 out" and get my money in there w/o really knowing these players.