PDA

View Full Version : I got a problem with an HOH2 problem

pergesu
06-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Check out problem 8-1, pp 63-65.

6 players, blinds are 100/200, stacks range from 1400-2600, you're big stack. Passes to you in SB, you have 85o.

Harrington says that the stack distribution is particularly suitable to aggression, since everyone is becoming more conservative than ever. Despite that, he advocates just calling, because it's less likely that it will be interpretted as a steal.

No biggie so far. I anticipate we'll be betting any flop if the BB just checks. Kinda like a stop n go, but obviously not for your stack.

My problem is that he says we'll bet the flop unless the texture is really bad. Well what kind of flop has really bad texture? We have absolutely no info regarding BB's holding.

Then he says the flop can fit a lot of holdings. But is this a dangerous flop for us at all?

I'd just fold my SB there. No reason to get involved in the pot. But if I'm gonna call, I'm taking a stab at it regardless of what flops. All it is is a delayed steal, designed to be less conspicuous than a preflop raise.

I hope I'm not being seen as nitpicky at all. I'm really just kind of confused, since all throughout the first book, and up to this point in this book, he's advocated making plays to garner as much information as possible. Now he's saying that we'll evaluate the texture of the flop before making a decision, but with absolutely no information? I just don't get it.

KingDan
06-13-2005, 08:22 PM
I just started skimming it, and disagree witha bunch of the problems/recommendations. I think 8-4 is worse.

10/20 blinds 3 limpers to you with the button you raise 50 with A2?

revots33
06-13-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My problem is that he says we'll bet the flop unless the texture is really bad. Well what kind of flop has really bad texture? We have absolutely no info regarding BB's holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't gotten the book yet, but I'd assume a flop like J-Q-K might be considered a bad texture, because there's 3 overcards plus a straight draw, all of which means there's a good chance your opponent is calling your bet if he's got a 10,J,Q,K, or A.

swarm
06-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Problem 1

Depends how aggressive the BB is, if they are passive this is a great play. With an ultra aggressive i'm not pulling this move.

Problem 2

The fact that he is raising with A2 has nothing to do with his hand, he could pull this move with any two. I occassionally use this move in the 100's where players actually respect raises, I use this move in level 2 and 3 after building up a tight image through 1 1/2 rounds. The lower levels, even the 50's, you will still get called to often to try and pull this off.

KingDan
06-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Won't most people who limped, call for 1.5 BB more?

pergesu
06-13-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
"Folding is far and away my top choice."

KingDan
06-13-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
"Folding is far and away my top choice."

[/ QUOTE ]

I was reading it a little earlier... I guess I forgot that little detail... Whoops.

AA suited
06-14-2005, 12:31 AM
it's out?!

<gets in car and rushes to nearest bookstore>

grumble.. stupid bookstore closed.. it's only 12:30 AM... Grumble

jgunnip
06-14-2005, 02:48 AM
I spoted at least four blatant numerical typos in chapter nine that were a little annoying when trying to figure out what was going on in a hand.Other than those peeves, I must say that the inflection point chapter was quite impressive imo. A very candid look into what's going through action dan's head when he's playing. I especially enjoyed his section in the chapter on calculating EV for pushing hands. Not that it was anything new to me, but that I really think that its going to be over the heads of most people who have not been exposed to those types of things before.

I'm also enjoying how every once in a while i'm actually lol'ing. great book so far.