PDA

View Full Version : assessing opponents: online v. live games

bernie
01-12-2003, 07:30 PM
maura did a post below that brought up an interesting topic...one that in my response, i may have jumped the gun a little on before taking some things into consideration...sorry maura /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

she mentioned she had been playing for 15 mins online and had no read on any of the players...i stated that since 15mins online = about 30-45 mins live, she should have somewhat a grasp on the players...this can also be experience dependent since the more types of players one has played against, the more one has to reference an unknown based on what has been presented playwise. thus, you can start by categorizing an unknown in the form of another known player until proven otherwise, or other intracasies show up in his play...

the old, if you cant spot the sucker in 30 mins. bit....

but does that transfer to hands played, instead of time passed? i may be wrong on that...

live play, you should be able to have at least somewhat a read on the unknown players skill in at least 30 mins. or at least most of the table. (look for the sucker first, then go from there. make sure youre not the worst) but youre also privy to alot more info about the player with being able to see and hear him in front of you. many factors can help solidify an image of the player...sometimes they dont even have to play a hand to know how theyd play...they can be that obvious.

however, online, you dont have all that information availiable.
unless theyre yapping, you can only go on their play. hence, online table coaches are very easy to get a read on, since theyre telling you their skill level. keep yappin morons...

so could it actually take more hands to get a read on players than in live games? i think, looking back in comparison, that yes, it would, but not sure as to how much longer.

comments/ideas welcome...

b

bernie
01-12-2003, 08:33 PM
im going to crosspost this into mid stakes and GULP! the internet forum.....

we'll see what happens...

b