PDA

View Full Version : Getting My Speeding Ticket Dismissed With A Phone Call

RunDownHouse
06-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Backstory: here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Number=2552497)
Summary: BS ticket for 50 in a 45 (a 5-over ticket is BS by definition, right?).

So today I called the number on the ticket, because I'd heard about a driving school thing you can do to have the ticket dismissed. Its one of the usual 4- or 8-hour classes you sit through, and then you don't have the points or a moving violation, etc. This is important to me, since I'm both a young male primary driver and switching car insurance at the moment. Anyways, I call up, and explain to the guy that I was curious about the driving school thing. He asks what my ticket was, I tell him, and he scoffs and says that I can just show up to court and have it dismissed. Unfortunately, I'm going to be on vacation at court date. I tell him this, and he tells me to hang on and transfers me somewhere. After maybe 10 minutes on hold, a lady picks up. I go through the whole deal with her again, and this time she asks for the ticket number. I give it to her, and then comes this gem:

"OK, you just call me at 8am on the court date and I'll get it dismissed for you. My name's Miss Jones. J-O-N-E-S. Miss Jones."

"Um, I just call you, and it will be dismissed? I don't have to show up?"

"That's right. 8am. Miss Jones."

Has anybody ever heard of this? Intellectually I know its not some scam to hit me with another fine, but... I just call the same number, ask for Miss Jones, and my ticket goes poof? MicroBob, is this how Memphis always works?