PDA

View Full Version : Golf balls

brassnuts
06-13-2005, 04:29 PM
What balls are in your bag? How much a difference is there between a $20/doz and a $40/doz ball? Also, most manufacturers price their best balls around $40/doz. Do you think there is much difference in top of the line balls between manufacturers.

cold_cash
06-13-2005, 04:34 PM
I doubt there's much difference between the high end balls, but I'm not really good enough to say.

I play Titleist ProV's. They're spendy but I think worth it.

Look on eBay if you don't want to break the bank. You can get used/found ones that are in pretty good shape for about half the price of new ones.

DemonDeac
06-13-2005, 04:35 PM
i love titelist balls

P.S. I'm aware this sets me up for a FYP joke, but lets get beyond that for this thread. I mean, we're talking about balls here.

M2d
06-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Callaway HX tour
I like the logo and black is soooo much cooler than blue or red.

brassnuts
06-13-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i love titelist balls

P.S. I'm aware this sets me up for a FYP joke, but lets get beyond that for this thread. I mean, we're talking about balls here.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.spscriptorium.com/Treats/Spottswoode.jpg

Balls... I love balls.

theghost
06-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Check out used balls on eBay (shop for the brand and type you are lookin for). You can get mint condition balls for less than 1/2 price.

example (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7161454947)

Anders_G
06-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Basically there are two types of balls, the harder kind and the softer kind. The softer kind gets more spin and therefore is a "better" ball, however, as the softer ball gets more spin it increases the effect of slice/hook and other effects of bad play.

The harder kind of ball is more of an amateur kind of ball as the effects of spin aren't as big.

However, when looking at prices one must take into account that you're playing for the branding as well. Titleist balls will always be more expensive than no-name balls even if they have the same quality.

jnalpak
06-13-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What balls are in your bag? How much a difference is there between a $20/doz and a $40/doz ball? Also, most manufacturers price their best balls around $40/doz. Do you think there is much difference in top of the line balls between manufacturers.

[/ QUOTE ]

unless you are scratch and can make fantastic plays with the golf ball your ball of choice should be top flite distance.

edit: FWIW i shoot to a +13-16 and fancy balls dont do a thing but get lost and waste money at this level of play.

06-13-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't agree with this at all. I am a mediocre 16 but the ball I use makes a difference. I like the Titleist Professional, which they don't make anymore ... but you can find it on E-bay for 1/2 the price of what it retailed for.

Edited to fix retarded spacing.

Bradyams
06-13-2005, 05:40 PM
I haven't played seriously or competitively since High School (couple years ago), but when I did I used the new Hogan balls. When I used them they were something like ~$60/dozen, but oh so worth it. They were so soft, and had huge distance.

If I didn't use those I used the Pro V1s.

RacersEdge
06-13-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

unless you are scratch and can make fantastic plays with the golf ball your ball of choice should be top flite distance.

edit: FWIW i shoot to a +13-16 and fancy balls dont do a thing but get lost and waste money at this level of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree somewhat, but I don't think you need to be scratch to play high end balls. You need to hit a consistent ball flight. If you want to put a number to it, I'd say a 13-14 handicap is about where the effect of a good ball can be felt/seen.

M2d
06-13-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i shoot to a +13-16

[/ QUOTE ]
Tiger? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm not usually a nit

Evan
06-13-2005, 05:43 PM
There is a very big difference between $20 balls and the $40+ balls as long as you can play decently (e.g. hit a driver 220+, expect to hit a 7 iron on the green, etc.).

There is also a very big difference in similar balls within the same price range. Titleist Pro V's are better balls than their competitors (Callaway HX Tour, Nike One, etc.).

This is not a 'big names are the best' thing, I do not know a single good player that prefers any ball over the Pro V1 or Pro V1x.

jnalpak
06-13-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i shoot to a +13-16

[/ QUOTE ]
Tiger? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm not usually a nit

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, dickus! I meant + 13 THROUGH 16 but that was funny

Evan
06-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Choosing to play the Titleist Professional now is really a very poor decision. There are much better balls available today that provide significantly more distance, control and similar feel. The only area that the Titleist Professional can beat more modern balls in is soft feel, which is entirely wasted if you can get equal spin and more distance elsewhere.

Evan
06-13-2005, 05:47 PM
You missed the point of his post, and your correction is still wrong.

HDPM
06-13-2005, 07:47 PM
oversimplified in this day. I am starting to look into spin rates and am thinking a little higher driver spin rate is better for me given my less than pro clubhead speed. IOW Pro V's seem to be a bit better for me than Pro V1x, althoguh they are similar balls made by the same company. Need to get is sorted out more tho. Mostly need to start hitting it better.

edtost
06-13-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Choosing to play the Titleist Professional now is really a very poor decision. There are much better balls available today that provide significantly more distance, control and similar feel. The only area that the Titleist Professional can beat more modern balls in is soft feel, which is entirely wasted if you can get equal spin and more distance elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

06-13-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This interests me a great deal. Can you elaborate? You can PM me if this is getting too far away from general interest. I get the Professionals for $20 a box. I'm not aware of any ball out there that I can get for $20 a box that has the soft feel of the Professional with the durability, and I haven't noticed a loss of distance (distance is not my problem). I'm not about to pay $50-$60 a box for Pro Vs. The difference they make in my game is not that significant.

touchfaith
06-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Ok, this thread has gotten so bad (advice wise) that I...and 13.6...must step in and assist (sigghhh)...

DO NOT use Pro V1's, Calaway Blue's or any other 3 piece ball unless your swing speed is great then 110 mph.

If you do, you are simply wasting money.

Any lower swing speed will not compress these balls fully and you will actually loose distance off the tee in most cases.

In addition, these balls scuff easily when mis-hit and will not last nearly as long as say, an NXT.

Personally, I prefer either NXT's, NXT tours (a little softer), or Lady Precept's (also nice and soft).

With most amatuer swings, you basically have one choice to make, a soft ball (NXT, Precept, similar), or a hard ball (Rock Flight), and it really boils down to personal preference.

"Big drivers" (for an amatuer) tend to like harder covers, for the obvious reason of getting more roll and distance. These people tend to wonder why they have little touch around the greens...

ceyoung
06-13-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, this thread has gotten so bad (advice wise) that I...and 13.6...must step in and assist (sigghhh)...

DO NOT use Pro V1's, Calaway Blue's or any other 3 piece ball unless your swing speed is great then 110 mph.

Any lower swing speed will not compress these balls fully and you will actually loose distance off the tee in most cases.

In addition, these balls scuff easily when mis-hit and will not last nearly as long as say, an NXT.

Personally, I prefer either NXT's, NXT tours (a little softer), or Lady Precept's (also nice and soft).

With most amatuer swings, you basically have one choice to make, a soft ball (NXT, Precept, similar), or a hard ball (Rock Flight), and it really boils down to personal preference.

"Big drivers" (for an amatuer) tend to like harder covers, for the obvious reason of getting more roll and distance. These people tend to wonder why they have little touch around the greens...

[/ QUOTE ]

you said it perfectly. there is no need for high handicap golfers to play the premium balls. you might actually lose distance playing them. sure they feel better, but your game will suffer and you'll waste money. the NXT from what i hear is a very good ball. also, i would look into the nike MOJO for mid-high handicappers which are about $18-20 per dozen.

I usually play Pro V1x's because i have a high swing speed and spin the ball too much. I just got a box of the new bridgestone B330 Tour. played with it today and shot 77. should have been lower, but i missed a couple 4 footers. anyways, from the first round its a good ball. the sound it makes when struck is a little annoying. but the ball is good.

2.7 handicap

edtost
06-13-2005, 09:05 PM
NXT(tour) are most definietly not a soft ball.

groo
06-13-2005, 09:17 PM
The ProV1 and the ProV1x are dramatically different golf balls. While the ProV1 spins a little more the aerodynamics of the x are the big difference. Look at the dimples, much larger and closer together on the x. I don't know the physics of this difference, but the bottom line is I gain about 15% in distance with the x. I'm told that at lower club speeds there is no appreciable difference between the two.

Personally I play the Precept U-tri Extra Spin. I pay $15-$22 a dozen and the ball does everything I need it to do to play better than scratch golf. More important than quality of the ball is playing the same ball consistantly so you know what the ball will do.

groo
06-13-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do not know a single good player that prefers any ball over the Pro V1 or Pro V1x.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me introduce myself....My name is Al. I play pretty good golf, I don't prefer any Titleist ball.

Many (if not most) tour players play balls other than Titleist also.

groo
06-13-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lady Precept's (also nice and soft)

[/ QUOTE ]

This ball was so popular amongst professional (male) mini tour players 4 years ago that Precept re-named and re-packaged it as the Laddy.

ceyoung
06-13-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

false.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/leaderboard

check how many are playing titleist

edited to add proof of my statement.

Homer
06-13-2005, 09:33 PM
X-OUTS rule.

2+2 wannabe
06-13-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lady Precept's (also nice and soft)

[/ QUOTE ]

This ball was so popular amongst professional (male) mini tour players 4 years ago that Precept re-named and re-packaged it as the Laddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

they're slightly different

Weatherhead03
06-13-2005, 10:14 PM
The best golf ball bar none is the Pro V1 and yes it is definately worth the money if you are not a beginning.

JTrout
06-13-2005, 10:41 PM
http://www.golfball-guide.de/images/big/seve_ballesteros_w.jpg

groo
06-14-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
false.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you......the leaderboard you provided shows 68 of 156 players 43.5% NOT using Titleist.....I'd say that's many tour players.

ceyoung
06-14-2005, 02:20 AM
so a majority play titleist? ummm ok. how many different manufacturers are there?

groo
06-14-2005, 02:21 AM
yeah...they have green lettering instead of red. According to the Precept rep at the time that the Laddy came out, that was the only difference.

groo
06-14-2005, 02:26 AM
The disputed statement was

[ QUOTE ]
I do not know a single good player that prefers any ball over the Pro V1 or Pro V1x.

[/ QUOTE ]

I simply stated that is not true, in fact it's not even vaguely accurate. I used myself (a better than scratch golfer) as an example and you provided me with a much better example. I thank you again. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ceyoung
06-14-2005, 02:42 AM
sorry, forgot the original statement. i was arguing the fact that 'many' play other balls, when a majority play just one ball. but thats just symantics.

edtost
06-14-2005, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
false.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you......the leaderboard you provided shows 68 of 156 players 43.5% NOT using Titleist.....I'd say that's many tour players.

[/ QUOTE ]

since most tour players have ball sponsorships, they may not prefer what they are actually playing...

Blackjack
06-14-2005, 06:04 AM
My favorite ball was the Old Maxfli Revolution with the blue lettering. They don't make them anymore and the new revolutions are kinda trashy.

I don't like playing Pro V1s - they scuff up so easily and I didn't care for the new Hogan ball either.

Blackjack

GuyOnTilt
06-14-2005, 06:05 AM
I wanna learn to play golf. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

GoT

Blackjack
06-14-2005, 06:09 AM
Learning absolutely sucks unless you played hockey before. Some hockey players can just pick up a club and hit it pure. It takes a long time before the muscles in your body acclimate so where your swing doesn't look or feel awkward. If you were to start up, I'd seriously consider lessons. It'll make the process much more fun and make sure you start with the correct fundamentals.

Blackjack

squeek12
06-14-2005, 06:34 AM
I'm a pretty serious golfer, and I play the Precept U-Tri Tour. These retail for about half the price of the ProVs. While I would prefer to play the ProV if money was not an issue, I think the U-tri Tour is a fantastic substitute.

bernie
06-14-2005, 07:57 AM
When I finally got good enough to know and be able to use the difference between balls I used the Titliest Professional(gold box). Now I think they're called the Pro V1 or something. I haven't really golfed in about 8 years. I liked the titleist(black box, can't remember the name of the damn things) but they tended to cut a little too easily. Great spin rate though. You could get those things to bite on concrete. The Pro's were just more comfortable to me overall.

After switching to those, the DT style balls, and distance balls in general (top flite) felt like rocks when you hit them. You usually won't go back after switching to a softer ball.

If you're not breaking 90 yet, I wouldn't worry too much about balls.

b

bernie
06-14-2005, 08:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Any lower swing speed will not compress these balls fully and you will actually loose distance off the tee in most cases

[/ QUOTE ]

They used to make 90 compression in the Pro V

b

on_thg
06-14-2005, 08:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite ball was the Old Maxfli Revolution with the blue lettering. They don't make them anymore and the new revolutions are kinda trashy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been using the Maxfli Revolution (red) -- best ball you can get for $9/dozen on sale. When money is no object, Pro V1s are nice, but I'm not good enough to notice an enormous difference.

GuyOnTilt
06-14-2005, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Learning absolutely sucks unless you played hockey before. Some hockey players can just pick up a club and hit it pure. It takes a long time before the muscles in your body acclimate so where your swing doesn't look or feel awkward. If you were to start up, I'd seriously consider lessons. It'll make the process much more fun and make sure you start with the correct fundamentals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late. I've played baseball all my life. My golf swing has no chance.

GoT

groo
06-14-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry, forgot the original statement. i was arguing the fact that 'many' play other balls, when a majority play just one ball. but thats just symantics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have never argued that a majority play other than Titleist, though the margin is becoming much closer every year.

groo
06-14-2005, 01:53 PM
I play the U-Tri extra spin, I've found the performance to be very similar to the Tour and for about 2/3 the cost. Too bad they have quit making them.

I wouldn't trade the U-Tri for the ProV1 unless it was free. I wouldn't play the ProV1x for any price, it goes to far.

chaas4747
06-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Played the Precept EV spin when it was out and loved that ball. I currently play the Pro V1 (no x). I get more distance, but my trajectory is different with this ball. I feel like it ballons more in the wind.

CCass
06-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Whichever brand NolanFan has in his bag.

chaas4747
06-14-2005, 02:55 PM
This just screams of FYP.