PDA

View Full Version : JJ in Early Position

koa
06-13-2005, 03:59 PM
I was looking through the book Internet Texas Holdem by M. Hilger, and he has a chart on how to play each hand. and he has that you should limp in early postion with JJ and just call with JJ in early position. How many of you guys actually do this?

DcifrThs
06-13-2005, 04:10 PM
if you like money you'll choose b.

-Barron

SmileyEH
06-13-2005, 04:44 PM
I think Matt wrote the book for very tight and passive games that existed online before the poker explosion.

-SmileyEH

stankphish
06-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Right out of SSH or HEPFAP cant remember which, but raise in a tight game and call in a loose game.

mchilger
06-14-2005, 01:29 AM
Of my charts, the JJ hand has been discussed a lot on this Forum and my own. If you read the text in the Advanced chapter, you'll see where I also say you can raise with hands 77 and higher in certain situations.

The charts are intended for beginning to intermediate players. The main premise for the call recommendation is that I believe beginning players overplay their hands too far post-flop after raising preflop. The expectation is close between calling and raising so I recommend that beginning players just limp to help them not overplay their hands post-flop. This also reduces their fluctuations which is important for players with a limited bankroll. But in either case, it won't make too much difference between raising or limping if you are a beginning player.

To answer your poll, I raise JJ in practically all situations and I would recommend that most players who take poker serious enough to read poker Forums that they do also.

But most players aren't advanced players and the charts aren't intended for advanced players.

Matthew

koa
06-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the response Matthew, I was thinking that might be the reason, but wasn't sure. Just picked up your book, haven't got a chance to read through it all yet. Even though I was a little confused by the JJ at first, I still find the charts helpful in defining value of hand and position, especially for marginal spots. gl in wsop