PDA

View Full Version : Rounders error?

PokerPrince
01-12-2003, 05:03 PM
I just finished watching the movie Rounders for the 56th time and the ending still confuses me. Mike walks into KGB's with 10G's and doubles it in the first game against Teddy to give him 20G's. He then gets in another game with Teddy using his 20G's and doubling that to give him 40G's. At the very end of the movie Mike's character is narating and said that he turned his ten thousand into a little over sixty thousand. Is this a mistake in the movie? How the hell did he get the other 20G's?

PokerPrince

TobDog
01-12-2003, 06:00 PM
I have also watched Rounders many times, and ther are numerous errors. My best answer to your question, is at KGB's place, he(KGB) can 'reload' I think Mike even made mention to it. I also noticed that while it is an interesting story, I found it to be like Caddyshack for those who play golf, it is entertaining but teaches you little about the game in which the movie is about.

tobdog

brad
01-13-2003, 11:45 AM
i thought he ended up even (30k at beginning of movie, 30k at end of movie)

ChipWrecked
01-13-2003, 02:32 PM
He does invite Teddy to 'reload' at any time. End of game, 15K to Teddy, 6K to the Chesterfield, 10K to the Dean, and he has 30K. So Teddy must have reloaded at some time, that's my take. BTW, if you watch the trailer that comes with the DVD, there are several scenes there that didn't make the final cut. So I figure something hit the editing floor that would eliminate the confusion.

rusty JEDI
01-14-2003, 06:14 AM
there is even an error on the cover that the video comes in. i guess you would call it the box.

i forget what it is off hand, but it is either malkovic's or tutorro's (sp) hair, or something like that....which is different than it is in the movie.

Tyler Durden
01-14-2003, 11:37 AM
KGB was holding pocket tens on that last hand when he lost against the flopped nuts.

brad
01-15-2003, 03:57 PM
ok

pokerlover
01-15-2003, 04:14 PM
I was very dissapointed in the DVD. It didn't have any special features or deleted scenes.

thebroker
01-16-2003, 12:18 PM
I say he didn't have [censored] from the play of the hand. Nobody, when I say nobody I mean a good no-limit player, will move in with top set on the river in this spot. He puts Mike on a draw therefore Mike will not call a bet, unless he flopped the straight. Moving in in this spot is negative EV BIG_TIME. You only get called when your beat. So you check your TT. For more on this check the archives from a few months ago.

bomblade
01-17-2003, 02:06 AM
What I believe happened is this. We're to assume Teddy reloads one more time, 20 thousand. They don't show this, probably because they felt it wasn't necessary. It was though, and it should have been shown. I don't think it was a math error on their part or anything.
A flaw I see is on the last hand. Mike appears to have about the same amount of chips Teddy has, yet the way Teddy talks during the final hand doesn't make sense. Teddy isn't putting mike to all his chips on the flop or turn, he bets 2k on the flop, and 4k on the turn. This wouldn't break mike, if he missed on the river, the way teddy makes it seem.

bomblade
01-17-2003, 02:15 AM
Here's where you're wrong. Teddy most likely isn't putting mike on a draw. He is putting mike on a strong hand. I think, teddy believes mike could be trying to bait him with AT or KT and teddy either has T8 or TT. Teddy over does it with how certain he is mike was on a draw and how the ace couldn't help him. He pushes his chips on, cause he believes mike is going to call. Why else would you bet 20 thousand?

Tyler Durden
01-17-2003, 12:37 PM
The reason for betting his set of tens is simple:

So he wouldn't have had to show his hand.

thebroker
01-20-2003, 07:35 AM
I would play no-limit with the fictional KGB any time. He would slip everytime. I feel he had [censored] and he played like he had [censored]. Damon pretty well sucked also. Mike could read players like no one else in his world. If this were true he would've mentioned the tens. He would've played the hand differently also.