PDA

View Full Version : $1-2 PLHE AA hand I observed

thebroker
01-12-2003, 12:50 PM
This is a hand I observed in a $1-2 pot-limit hold em game on the net. UTG+1 limps in and has around $400, all fold to the SB who makes it $8 to go has around $200. Big blind folds and the limper calls. Flop comes jack-high all clubs. SB check-raises the limper's pot-sized bet and they end up getting it all in on the flop. Limper turns over K-small suited for the flopped flush and SB has AA without the club. The SB is a player I highly respect and don't mean to insult him in any way by posting this hand. I'm just wondering how many players here would go bust on this hand. I actually like the check-raise but I feel I would have to lay down to the re-raise. Any thoughts?

TexasEmil
01-12-2003, 08:18 PM
I would have folded my A/A in that situation. As you said you can try the check raise if your opponent just bluffing he has to fold or have A/x, A club. Even that some people fold to a check raise because it's often mean a good hand. AS you described it the UTG+1 re-raised SB's check raise and that's definetly not showing any A/K or things like that. I would have folded my A/A here if it wasn't for A of clubs.

Greg (FossilMan)
01-13-2003, 06:29 PM
The large majority of the time you are correct. And maybe against this opponent you are correct.

The reason I didn't lay it down is the (short) history I had on this player. I had seen him flop a flush (JTs, so not the nuts) and slowplay it on a hand in the past. Other than that, I never saw him flop the nuts or any other really big hand. I had also seen him push a hand previously where he flopped top pair plus a straight draw (something like 89 with a flop of 678).

Based upon those couple of hands, I felt that by far his most likely holding was AcJx (the flop was J high and disconnected, though all clubs, if I recall correctly). If that had been his hand, I am a favorite to win. If he does have the made flush, I am in a bad spot, no doubt.

I was sure I lost when the river was a club, but was truly surprised when I saw his hand. Like I said, based upon my small knowledge of his play, he would not have bet the pot on the flop with the second nuts, nor reraised my check-raise by the whole pot. If I had held anything less than AA it would've been an easy laydown. Even QQ would've been easier, as KcKx was another hand I put him on besides AcJx. AcKx was another big possibility in my mind.

I wish I had known more about this opponent at the time. Hopefully I'll play better against him next time.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

thebroker
01-16-2003, 12:06 PM
for your reply. I've done some thinking about the hand since I posted and I figured you had a good reason. I figured you put him on the Ac. I've been thinking about putting a bankroll on Pokerstars for the $25 buy-in PLHE games. Are the games really good or what?

Greg (FossilMan)
01-16-2003, 05:35 PM
Well, I thought I had a good reason. I really didn't know the guy well enough to make that call. In other words, the evidence I had supported the call, but it wasn't sufficient evidence to support the call.

Yes, the PL games on pokerstars are very good most of the time, though I actually can't speak to the $25 buyin games, as I haven't played them. However, I have no reason to believe they wouldn't be even better than the $100 and $200 buyin games.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

PStars player
01-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Hello all. I play often at Poker Stars and have seen your hero FossilMan play many times. As far as any advice he gives you reguarding PL HE, I strongly advise that you don't listen to it. I've seen the man make so many terrible plays, I find it rather mind boggling that this is the same player who is so respected here on 2+2. This hand mentioned above would only rate as the 5th or 6th worst hand I would have seen him play YESTERDAY. He showed great abilities at calling potsize bets... with random draws, and from the looks of it (because I couldn't see a draw) what probably had to be overcards because middle pair was good on the river. The hand that best illustrates his play was a beauty indeed. He found a way to get his WHOLE $350 stack in with 2nd nut heart draw.
As far as the games being good. I would say that they are decent. Obviously there are some players you should avoid, and if you any kind of a player at all you would recognize these players rather quickly. Obviously FossilMan would not be the player to avoid. Just sit down.... hopefully with possition on him, (although I don't think it really matters) and let the party begin.
After what I have seen, I can't beleive that he is reguarded as a good player. I'm astonished that people would back him in tournaments. I understand that Tournament play is far different than ring game play, but the utterly stupid plays I see The FossilMan perform make it extreamly difficult for me to beleive that he could possibly lay down a flush draw in a tournament.....for any amount....reguardless of stack size....against anyone....you get the picture.
I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this post. Thats OK by me. I know that I am doing this to help people improve thier individual poker games, including that of FossilMan. I'm not giving advice as to how to play hands, because allthough I am a winning player on stars and offline, I do not think that I am an expert by any means....something FossilMan should look in the miror and hopefully see.

Good Luck to all

ohkanada
01-17-2003, 05:00 PM
How Greg did last night or in any one session has little bearing on how he plays or on his solid advice. I happened to be on Pokerstars last night while he lost a few big hands and the 2 I saw were river suckouts. I can't speak to the last hand. I also saw a nicely played full house to nearly double his stack.

How he plays in a small on-line 1-2 PL game compared to bigger live PL/limit games or tournies is like comparing apples to oranges. The strategies are different as are the rules.

Thanks for the anoymous tip. I will continue to read his solid advice 2+2. Maybe next time you can sign your name,

"ohKanada" on Pokerstars.
Ken Poklitar

Lurker
01-17-2003, 06:22 PM