PDA

View Full Version : Immortality at the price of murder... would you do it?

wacki
06-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Watched two of my favorite movies "Underworld" and "Lost Boys".

I was wondering, if you had the option of being turned in a vampire, would you do it? The price of course would be that you had to feed. Also, sunlight would be very bad.

For werewolves, the price would be that you would kill during every full moon. Old school werewolves have no control over who you killed. If a family member was nearby when you turned. He/she was as good as dead.

EDIT: if you intend to sort out bad people from good people, think about how much work that requires before voting.

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 02:09 PM
The with control option. There are plenty of people the world could do without very nicely.

edit: And I really like Underworld too.

Lame Amateur
06-13-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The with control option. There are plenty of people the world could do without very nicely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt it ironic, don't you think?

Rotating Rabbit
06-13-2005, 02:16 PM
I used to be a vampire and you dont want to be one. The goddam teeth get in the way of everything. And getting stds is a constant risk. Not much fun having genital warts for all eternity is it.

wacki
06-13-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of people the world could do without very nicely.

edit: And I really like Underworld too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. However, you would be required to find people that are worthy of killing on a regular basis. That is a lot of work. I just hope the people that are voting daily vampire realize that. That is if they care about that kind of stuff.

wacki
06-13-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to be a vampire and you dont want to be one. The goddam teeth get in the way of everything. And getting stds is a constant risk. Not much fun having genital warts for all eternity is it.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you fed, you would have perfect health in my scenerio.

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, you would be required to find people that are worthy of killing on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I don't think I'd have a problem at all. Hell, just use that child molester online registration thingy. That'll get you a long way.

Blarg
06-13-2005, 02:26 PM
I don't remember werewolves having immortality, only vampires.

Pocket Trips
06-13-2005, 02:32 PM
I would not have the same batlles with my conscience that Lestat was prone to. I am a selfish S.O.B. and would have no problem killing a person a week for several lifetimes. There are plenty lf horrible people that I would consider it a service to society to rid the world of.

nothumb
06-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Yes to all. I fear death.

NT

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with immortality is that at some point something happens and man becomes extinct. The sun blows up and destroys the sun or something, and you're stuck floating through space all alone forever. That would kinda suck.

tolbiny
No on all counts-
as i would take the ability to become a vampire as proof of an afterlife (or as close to it as you can get) and would no longer fear death and would become a decent human being.
On the other hand- given the option with no aftrelife i would take it- i could always get a job at a blood bank, no?

Blarg
The problem is, there are way more people I'd want to kill than eat.

meep_42
06-13-2005, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't want to be a vampire because it would suck having to hang around goths.

-d

tbach24
06-13-2005, 02:41 PM
If I didn't have to be a vampire or werewolf I'd do it. And the people would have to be very old or living a miserable life for me to kill.

Wait...I could just go kill rapists and [censored] like that? Then hell yeah I'm up for it, but werewolf would be better because werewolf's pwn suckahs.

nothumb
06-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Also, would I be a badass vampire? Able to feed on relatively well-guarded public figures? If so, count me in BIG TIME.

NT

Michael Davis
06-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Wacki, I would not save the lives of small children or preserve the universe from destruction if it meant that I was forced to become immortal.

-Michael

Phoenix1010
06-13-2005, 02:46 PM
This is so funny. I had this conversation with a friend of mine a few weeks ago after watching a couple of vampire movies. The answer was simple for me. There are so many rapists, murderers, corporate lawyers, frat boys, and otherwise evil people out there, I would never run out of people to eat with a clear conscience. Eternal life would be awesome, plus you get all the bat powers. No brainer.

Blarg
06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Bat powers? You mean, like we get a batmobile? Then I'm definitely up for it!

scotty34
06-13-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with immortality is that at some point something happens and man becomes extinct. The sun blows up and destroys the sun or something, and you're stuck floating through space all alone forever. That would kinda suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vampires/Werewolves are not completely immortal. Just make sure you have a wooden stake or gun with a silver bullet tucked away somewhere.

wacki
06-13-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand- given the option with no aftrelife i would take it- i could always get a job at a blood bank, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

The conditions are you have to feed on live flesh. I will allow locking a person in the basment and continually feeding on them a legit possibility. You would have to keep at least 3 dozen people locked up and well fed to supply all of your needs if you were a daily feeding vampire. (Each person can only be bled once a month and since your not killing you will need slightly more than on person)

You will need about a 1 dozen or more people locked up if you are a weekly feeding vampire.

If you are a monthly feeding vampire 3-5 people locked up should do the trick.

wacki
06-13-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, would I be a badass vampire? Able to feed on relatively well-guarded public figures? If so, count me in BIG TIME.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you would be a badass. Powers would be a bit random though. You could end up being like the Lost Boys vampires or those that are in Underworld.

DBowling
06-13-2005, 03:18 PM
immortality is (probably) overrated.

edit: so no, unless there are lots of hot vampire babes.

scotty34
06-13-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The conditions are you have to feed on live flesh. I will allow locking a person in the basment and continually feeding on them a legit possibility. You would have to keep at least 3 dozen people locked up and well fed to supply all of your needs if you were a daily feeding vampire. (Each person can only be bled once a month and since your not killing you will need slightly more than on person)

You will need about a 1 dozen or more people locked up if you are a weekly feeding vampire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can one of these people be Natalie Portman?

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

edit: so no, unless there are lots of hot vampire babes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see Underworld? Kate Beckinsale...nuff said.

GuyOnTilt
06-13-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From my very, very, very limited knowledge of the subject, I believe some of the most powerful vampires didn't have to feed very often if at all. Something about two of them going into hiding for a couple centuries and feeding off each others' blood and basically becoming absolutely kickass as a result comes to mind. I don't think you have to do much gorging once you get kickass enough. Also, you become immune to sunlight. Never read the books, but I think Lestat even tried flying out into space into the sun or something trying to kill himself and couldn't because he was too powerful to be hurt at all, even by that much sunlight.

Rando-thought.

GoT

wacki
06-13-2005, 04:14 PM
GoT,

1) There are many variations of vampires

2) Substitute the vampires with the Dark Crystal (Jim Henson movie) and the poll remains basically unchanged.

thirddan
06-13-2005, 04:28 PM
the uber powerful anne rice vampires basically could never be killed, by anything...

and they got crazy powers, like being able to fly and create fire...also, sunlight wouldn't kill them, but it would [censored] them up and give them a tan...

in addition couldn't you just go around taking a little bit of blood from a whole lot of people (similar to the small drink in anne rice books)...that way you could still feed but didn't have to kill all the time...

wacki
06-13-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in addition couldn't you just go around taking a little bit of blood from a whole lot of people (similar to the small drink in anne rice books)...that way you could still feed but didn't have to kill all the time...

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you lock them in the basement. Once your secret is out, the humans will hunt you down. Humans, in large numbers, have the capability to kill you when armed with stakes. Those are the conditions.

Blarg
06-13-2005, 04:37 PM
If I was gonna live forever, I'd definitely get Tivo.

thirddan
06-13-2005, 04:55 PM
good call on the tivo, and i would defintely have to move, cuz i live in an apartment and have no basement, maybe i could keep them in my little closet?

CrashPat
06-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Um, if you are a damned soul are you going to care about the morality of killing somebody? I doubt it. Immortality and only being able to be outside during the night? I'd take it no matter what the price.

Blarg
06-14-2005, 03:07 AM
That posits as an irreducible truth that there is no inherent value to anyone of anyone else's life. But that's not so. If you're damned, it doesn't necessarily follow that you would have to consider everyone else's life worthless. There's still all the room in the world for personal choice and an individual outlook there.

You can make your own choice, but you're just positing one choice among others, not using anything even close to logic to back it up.

CrashPat
06-14-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That posits as an irreducible truth that there is no inherent value to anyone of anyone else's life. But that's not so. If you're damned, it doesn't necessarily follow that you would have to consider everyone else's life worthless. There's still all the room in the world for personal choice and an individual outlook there.

You can make your own choice, but you're just positing one choice among others, not using anything even close to logic to back it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize for not offering logic to back up my opinions.

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Um, if you are a damned soul are you going to care about the morality of killing somebody? I doubt it. Immortality and only being able to be outside during the night? I'd take it no matter what the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it matter if you're a damned soul if you'll live forever?

MarkL444
06-14-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is my stance as well. plus eventually we're just gonna blow us (mortals) all up, so it would probably get pretty boring around here.

Blarg
06-14-2005, 01:01 PM
If-then statements need to have their two parts relate, or they just don't make sense. That's the tricky part. Everyone's got an opinion, but one that isn't coherent is kinda strange.

wacki
06-14-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is my stance as well. plus eventually we're just gonna blow us (mortals) all up, so it would probably get pretty boring around here.

[/ QUOTE ]

How hard is it to understand that the vampires in Underwold and Lost Boys can die?

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 01:31 PM
I really don't understand this at all. How can this many people want to turn down immortality and super vampire powers in exchange for getting to rid the world of child molesters? I also don't understand how more people would rather be a werewolf than a vampire? Aside from werewolf with no control, the downside is very limited to any of these options. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

wacki
06-14-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also don't understand how more people would rather be a werewolf than a vampire?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.odessamarriage.com/i/sexy_ukraine_brides.jpg

Could that be why?

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also don't understand how more people would rather be a werewolf than a vampire?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.odessamarriage.com/i/sexy_ukraine_brides.jpg

Could that be why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Sexy Ukraine Brides is an obvious answer. I assume you mean the whole sunlight thing. Yea, I guess that's legitimate.

06-14-2005, 01:58 PM
If you're asking whether I would kill everyone on this forum if I could get away with it, the answer is yes.

Blarg
06-14-2005, 02:02 PM
I still say werewolves and immortality don't go together.

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In Underworld the head werewolf was hundreds of years old.

wacki
06-14-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, call them Lichens. You know the kind in underworld. There are many different variations. Hell, in the movie Blade silver kills vampires which is kind of gay IMO.

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, call them Lichens. You know the kind in underworld. There are many different variations. Hell, in the movie Blade silver kills vampires which is kind of gay IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Lycans as in Lycanthrope.

Blarg
06-14-2005, 02:13 PM
That's just one movie, but it's not the traditional werewolf thingy at all.

I dunno, hearing werewolves are now immortals is to me kind of like a lifelong batman fan finding out that in the new movie coming out, we're calling Parrotman, and he eats a lot of sunflower seeds.

CrashPat
06-14-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If-then statements need to have their two parts relate, or they just don't make sense. That's the tricky part. Everyone's got an opinion, but one that isn't coherent is kinda strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can I say this without being an ass. The arguement is dumb. Vampires are not human, so why would they care if a person is good or bad when they eat them? When you go to the butcher do you make sure that only the bad cow is turned into food? No. There is no moral question here because vampires and werewolves both would feed on animals that are below them on the food chain (humans). I do not see how this could possibly be confusing, maybe you are the slow buffalo in the herd here.

wacki
06-14-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vampires are not human, so why would they care if a person is good or bad when they eat them?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my scenerio they are human, or part human at least. Those are the conditions. I think you are missing the point of the poll.

Your cow argument is also flawed. Still, I'm not going to get in that argument here. That would be a hijak.

[ QUOTE ]
I do not see how this could possibly be confusing, maybe you are the slow buffalo in the herd here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg is a very intelligent person.

Shajen
06-14-2005, 07:31 PM
I'd be the slow buffalo here fellas.

*raises hand*

SomethingClever
06-14-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At some point we'll invent warp drive and move to another location. Vampires can come along to work as executioners in our brave new world.

Grisgra
06-14-2005, 08:11 PM
This has probably been addressed, but in most vampire mythology you don't have to murder to feed. Even assuming you need human blood (no wussing out with pig's blood ala Angel in the Buffy universe), don't see why you'd have to suck blood to the point where your victim was dead.

That said, the avoid-all-sunlight thing pisses me off just as much as finding someone to feed off of every month.

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
At some point we'll invent warp drive and move to another location. Vampires can come along to work as executioners in our brave new world.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other issue is evolution. Man will keep evolving while as a vampire, I'd stay the same. At some point the evolving man surpasses my vampire "superpowers" and I'm up the creek trying to feed on people that are stronger and faster than I am.

Blarg
06-15-2005, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can I say this without being an ass. The arguement is dumb. Vampires are not human, so why would they care if a person is good or bad when they eat them? When you go to the butcher do you make sure that only the bad cow is turned into food? No. There is no moral question here because vampires and werewolves both would feed on animals that are below them on the food chain (humans). I do not see how this could possibly be confusing, maybe you are the slow buffalo in the herd here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're repeating statements that make no sense.

First, vampires are human.

Second, just because you eat something you have the power to eat doesn't mean there are no moral implications.

These are really elementary things you're messing up. You need to concentrate less on flaming and more on making sense.

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
These are really elementary things you're messing up. You need to concentrate less on flaming and more on making sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong forum. I think the other forums (politics and WPT excluded) are reserved for making sense.

wacki
06-15-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wrong forum. I think the other forums (politics and WPT excluded) are reserved for making sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever gone in there?

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever gone in there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where? Politics or WPT? Or the other forums?

Alobar
06-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Do I get to keep my soul if Im a vampire? heh

I'd go with werewolf that had control, cuz that would just be cool. I'm pretty sure werewolfs arent immortal tho by most counts. They just have supernatural powers (like strength and healing and [censored]).

Something to keep in mind tho, the immortal are waaay more driven by the fear of death, than the mortal.

Alobar
06-15-2005, 10:46 AM
oh, and for the record, I think "underworld" was a pretty poor movie. And im a HUGE fan of the genre

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
oh, and for the record, I think "underworld" was a pretty poor movie. And im a HUGE fan of the genre

[/ QUOTE ]

So what are the good ones? I liked it.

Alobar
06-15-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, well if you wanna get technical there really arent any, they all suffer from either bad acting or poor plot.

I should watch underworld again (I actually own it), but I just remember the end fight was sooooooo lame. And the plot develoment in the movie was pretty bad. Don't get me wrong, its a kickass concept, and lots of nice boobies, but it just didnt work for me.

wacki
06-15-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and lots of nice boobies

[/ QUOTE ]

??? There were boobies?

Alobar
06-15-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and lots of nice boobies

[/ QUOTE ]

??? There were boobies?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, well I just meant hot chicks, not actual nippleage

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 11:04 AM
I always really liked Near Dark for some reason. I hated Lost Boys because of the Coreys.

Pocket Trips
06-15-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The other issue is evolution. Man will keep evolving while as a vampire, I'd stay the same. At some point the evolving man surpasses my vampire "superpowers" and I'm up the creek trying to feed on people that are stronger and faster than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

well if we are talking the anne rice vampires their powers grew and evovled pver time

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
well if we are talking the anne rice vampires their powers grew and evovled pver time

[/ QUOTE ]

good point.

Blarg
06-15-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

House of Dark Shadows.

Count Yorga, Vampire. Return of Count Yorga.

Blackula, just because it's hilarious.

Fright Night. Good acting, likeable characters, outstanding make-up, some real tension. Watch for the cut back to the shot of the actor after he's taken a bite out of an apple offscreen. Check the apple!

Lost Boys isn't bad, as you know.

The old Christopher Lee films made by Hammer. Not the best films of all time, but loaded with atmosphere.

Nosferatu is a huge classic and really great.

The remake by Werner Herzog with Klaus Kinski was fantastic, too.

Shadow of the Vampire, where John Malkovich director F.W. Murnau, the maker of Nosferatu, and Willem Dafoe plays Max Schreck, the strange and creepy guy who so brilliantly played the vampire in the original Nosferatu. The great conceit is that Schreck really was a vampire, and Murnau knew that when making his film. Ending is just a little crappy, but the entire movie before was so damn good that the last 30 seconds or so of the ending is very forgiveable.

I am Legend -- The original story that the Charlton Heston "last man on earth" flick The Omega Man was taken from was actually a story about a vampire plague taking over the world, and a good one. The book was very good too. The original movie is hard to find, and it stars an unhammy, very good Vincent Price. Good stuff.

The original Salems Lot t.v. movie had some rough spots, but overall wasn't too bad, and had some truly great spots. It was remade again just a little while ago, and I haven't seen that one. A major disappointment is that the vampire in the end was an idiot, unlike King's book(his best and scariest, by his choice and mine).

The Frank Langella version of Dracula was worth watching just for the rare treat of finally seeing someone do what Dracula actually does -- crawl up walls. Also, his command over minds was well done in that one.

Franciso Ford Coppolla's pretentiously titled "Bram Stoker's Dracula" was slow going for me, very marred by Gary Oldman's overwrought accent and a lot of very slow pacing while Oldman really didn't do a lot. Good creature effects, though, and some excellent moments, like his giving the baby to his vampiresses.

Maybe I'll drag some more out of memory later.

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Blackula, just because it's hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was on just the other night! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

No Fearless Vampire Hunters? No Buffy (for Kristy Swanson alone)? Blade?

Blarg
06-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Fearless Vampire Hunters was okay, funny in some places. I thought about that, but figured lots of people might not like it.

Your "Near Dark" wasn't a bad recommendation, just for Lance Henrikson alone. One of those films where the whole thing doesn't always work, but there are tons of excellent parts, and that's kind of how horror movies work anyway, so it's worth seeing.

I didn't see the Buffy movie.

I'd recommend the original Blade, but I forgot about those. And Blade 2. The way those heads opened up was very cool. Good director on that one. I wouldn't recommend Blade 3 unless you're a total Blade fanatic.

I wish any of the rest of the Blades lived up to the first five minutes of the first one. Blades strike me as very gimmicky, and I don't get that much of a vampire feel out most of their screen time. No atmosphere, I guess. Atmosphere is huge in horror, primary really. The Blades have all felt like they were filling time till a martial arts showdown with Blade and some skinny Eurotrash, and Snipes doesn't even have a very interesting fighting style.

Rev. Good Will
06-15-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, you would be required to find people that are worthy of killing on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hell, just use that child molester online registration thingy. That'll get you a long way.

[/ QUOTE ]