PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a good mid-high stakes limit book

Kinja
06-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Hello, I'm a long time reader but first time poster. I've been playing 6/max 5/10 and 10/10 single table ring mostly at Party skins and Pacific. 3 years in at this online poker thing and I'm doing great, I play the player based on reads etc and I can be considered tight aggressive. I've dabbled at 15/30 full ring mostly playing by the book with a few exceptions and avg. 2.3 bb/100 at 4k hands in(got poker tracker for this). Now as it turns out I make much more money at the short games with no poker tracker. SOmething tells me 30/60 and up is in my future within the next couple of years. Of course I'm going to prepare for this during this time andf I need a good book, any suggestions? Any thoughts of a plan of attack would be appreciated as well. Thanks....

mordecaibrown
06-13-2005, 04:08 PM
Middle Limit Holdem Poker---Ciaffone and Brier
Best limit book on the market IMOP.

I don't think that many books deal with the whole online scene. Especially the middle limits.

stankphish
06-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Have you already read Small Stakes Hold'em or Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players? If not those would be a good start.

Jeff W
06-13-2005, 04:53 PM
You know what would be awesome? If 2+2 had a Books/Publications forum. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=books)

Kinja
06-13-2005, 09:49 PM
cool, didn't know it existed and yeah I read those books... many thanks

SoBeDude
06-13-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think that many books deal with the whole online scene. Especially the middle limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this book gives very weak-tight information, and I don't believe you could beat the Party 30 game playing as that book suggests.

HPFAP is a much better book.

-Scott

Nigel
06-14-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this book gives very weak-tight information, and I don't believe you could beat the Party 30 game playing as that book suggests.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I consider HPFAP weak tight as well and totally not adapted to today's internet play.

Can you even come close to being a winner playing HPFAP style?

Nigel

twankerr
06-14-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I consider HPFAP weak tight as well and totally not adapted to today's internet play.

Nigel

[/ QUOTE ]

I went back and read it this week and I totally agree. The two sections on loose games and short-handed games were well revised though (21st century edition).

Clarkmeister
06-14-2005, 02:47 AM
The best hold'em specific book by far is Small Stakes Hold'em.

goofball
06-14-2005, 03:17 AM
In my opinion the best book for moving up to midstakes is "Inside the Poker Mind" a 2+2 publication by someone i can't remember offhand. That was the book that, on it's own, most improved my game. It helped me make the transition from marginal small stakes player to good aggressive mid limit player (or so I hope).

Bear in mind though, that I made that jump and learned a lot about poker before SSH came out so, while it was good, I knew some of the material in it.

DcifrThs
06-14-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best hold'em specific book by far is Small Stakes Hold'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're saying i should read ed's book? i got through a few pages and was not motivated due to already knowing this stuff...

basically, its on my shelf now. did you have a good experience reading it the whole way through?

ah, what the hell, i'll read it.

-Barron

GreywolfNYC
06-16-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Nigel

[/ QUOTE ]
You're joking, right? You aren't serious are you?

GreywolfNYC
06-16-2005, 12:42 PM
The three best books for your needs, imho, are:
HEPFAP (Sklansky)
Middle Limit Holdem Poker (Ciaffone & Brier)
Inside the Poker Mind (John Feeney)