PDA

View Full Version : Are there any truly perfect synonyms?

jcmack13
06-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Are there two words that mean completely and absolutely the same thing, including connotation, etc?

I was wondering about adjectival ones, and not just a noun that has multiple names (bobcat/mountain lion, etc.)

And if such a pair (or group) exists, why do we have superfluous words?

sfer
06-13-2005, 01:23 PM
dearth := lack

jcmack13
06-13-2005, 01:51 PM
The problem with those is that "dearth" does not replace all the uses of "lack" (lack can be a verb) and also, "dearth" can also mean specifically a shortage of food or famine.

I was wondering if two words exist that are always completely interchangeable.

schwza
06-13-2005, 02:30 PM
i would say no, including nouns like bobcat/mountain lion. a mountain lion sounds scarier, even to someone who knows they are identical.

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bobcat/mountain lion. a mountain lion sounds scarier, even to someone who knows they are identical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

battschr
06-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Inflammable means flammable?...WHAT A COUNTRY!!

offTopic
06-13-2005, 02:35 PM
regardless and irregardless

Vince and Smoothcall

scotty34
06-13-2005, 02:37 PM
gigantic - humongous

YourFoxyGrandma
06-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Yes, er, affirmative.

toss
06-13-2005, 02:39 PM
enormous - massive

Senor Cardgage
06-13-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
enormous - massive

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

jakethebake
this thread = waste of time

scotty34
[ QUOTE ]
enormous - massive

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that one too, but massive can mean "a body that has mass" when referring to objects in the Universe.

Senor Cardgage
06-13-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, er, affirmative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite.

nothumb
06-13-2005, 02:44 PM
If you listen to the postmodernists, words don't even mean the same things as themselves.

Chew on that!

NT

scotty34
06-13-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, er, affirmative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, it's a affirmative or no question.

OtisTheMarsupial
Mountain lion is a general term that can include bobcats, but really, they're not the same. Bobcats have short, stubby tails and ear tuffs, mountainn lions have long tails, shorter hair and are much bigger.

That, and a Bobcat can also mean construction equipment.

Regardless and irregardless do mean exactly the same thing, but have different connotations - people who say irregardless sound stupid.

toss
affirmative - roger that - 10-4

Senor Cardgage
06-13-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gigantic - humongous

[/ QUOTE ]

Very close, I think. Gigantic can also be used particularly in reference to a giant, so they don't quite match.

Humongous and enormous, perhaps?

EDIT: I checked and there's an archaic definition of enormous as "Very wicked; heinous." Not sure if that really eliminates it or not.

toss
06-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Maybe if we looked up the latin roots to these wors. Humong and Enor.

I checked and humungous is actually slang. Enormous is dervied from Middle english enormious.

tbach24
06-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Wicked sweet = freakin' awesome

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mountain lion is a general term that can include bobcats, but really, they're not the same. Bobcats have short, stubby tails and ear tuffs, mountainn lions have long tails, shorter hair and are much bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard anyone say mountain lion when he means bobcat. They don't look anything alike. They're not even remotely close. Maybe some jackass somewhere came up with some goofy category called mountain lions that includes bobcats. But anyone that knows what the hell they are would never say they're the same, and would never call a bobcat a kind of mountain lion.

scotty34
06-13-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gigantic - humongous

[/ QUOTE ]

Very close, I think. Gigantic can also be used particularly in reference to a giant, so they don't quite match.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand. Give me a sentence where gigantic refers to a giant, where humongous can't be perfectly substituted.

This one seems a little less likely, but tiny - miniscule.

scotty34
06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard anyone say mountain lion when he means bobcat. They don't look anything alike. They're not even remotely close. Maybe some jackass somewhere came up with some goofy category called mountain lions that includes bobcats. But anyone that knows what the hell they are would never say they're the same, and would never call a bobcat a kind of mountain lion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mountain Lion = Cougar not Bobcat

tbach24
06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Definition 1 (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gigantic)

It looks like tiny-miniscule works though (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=miniscule)

toss
06-13-2005, 02:55 PM
How about Jam and Marmalade?

jcmack13
06-13-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Humongous and enormous, perhaps?

EDIT: I checked and there's an archaic definition of enormous as "Very wicked; heinous." Not sure if that really eliminates it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel there's a slight connotation difference. You wouldn't say, "Of course, the ethical issues this raises are humongous" or, "the flight suffered humongous complications."

Flammable and inflammable are the best example given here, in that you can always replace one with the other.

toss
06-13-2005, 02:58 PM
I also think enormous can be used to describe quantity whilst humungous can't.

tbach24
06-13-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whilst

[/ QUOTE ]

while?

I know he meant to type whilst, but are these perfect synonyms?

Senor Cardgage
06-13-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gigantic - humongous

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand. Give me a sentence where gigantic refers to a giant, where humongous can't be perfectly substituted.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can mean "relating to a giant", so I assume it can be used in some other way... I'm kind of hung over right now so I'm not much help.It would be a really awkward usage, anyways- something along the lines of relating some noun to a giant without a specific reference to size. It's kind of a nitpick and assuming this is correct, it's nothing that would come up in any everyday conversation.

jcmack13
06-13-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about Jam and Marmalade?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Scoob, looks like we got ourselves in a bit of a marmalade...

also, jam is made with sugar.

Senor Cardgage
06-13-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also think enormous can be used to describe quantity whilst humungous can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would use them interchangeably, but my grammar is [censored]. You're probably right.

Barry
[ QUOTE ]

Vince and Smoothcall

[/ QUOTE ]

"irregardless" is not a word, "irrespective" is the word that you were thinking of.

scotty34
[ QUOTE ]
Definition 1 (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gigantic)

It looks like tiny-miniscule works though (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=miniscule)

[/ QUOTE ]

Definition 1 says:

"Relating to or suggesting of a giant"

The second entry for the word gigantic has this defintion:

adj : so exceedingly large or extensive as to suggest a giant or mammoth; "a gigantic redwood"; "gigantic disappointment";

These appear to be the same definition, and humongous can be substituted in these cases. By giant, I don't think they were referring to a giant human. They were merely referring to it as an adjective (or noun - ex: that tree is a giant) meaning large. I still think humongous - gigantic works.

scotty34
06-13-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flammable and inflammable are the best example given here, in that you can always replace one with the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my understanding, flammable is not actually a word.

jcmack13
06-13-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I might be wrong, but i feel there is an oh-so-slight difference between, "Have you met Ted's new girlfriend? She's tiny!" and, "Have you met Ted's new girlfriend? She's minuscule!"

Also a minor (tiny? minuscule?) quibble, but dictionary.com lists "minuscule" as a noun meaning a small cursive script used between the 7th and 9th century. But of course, we all already knew that.

scotty34
06-13-2005, 03:10 PM
couch - sofa

True I've never heard the phrase "sofa potato" but I don't think cliches should disqualify a word.

Edit - I guess this would just be a noun with multiple names.

disjunction
06-13-2005, 03:11 PM
"literally" and "figuratively" /images/graemlins/smile.gif

They literally mean the same thing nowadays.

The Armchair
06-13-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are there two words that mean completely and absolutely the same thing, including connotation, etc?

I was wondering about adjectival ones, and not just a noun that has multiple names (bobcat/mountain lion, etc.)

And if such a pair (or group) exists, why do we have superfluous words?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of them, particularly in anything that reeks of a legal proclamation. Take for example "cease and desist."

The reason is that the English legal system (which we adpoted, naturally) were in French until the mid 14th century -- even though the rest of the country spoke English. So, in order to communicate things accurately, they had to be said twice.

jcmack13
06-13-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dictionary.com, which has become my reference of convenience for this thread, lists flammable and inflammable as coming from the latin flammare, so i think they're both legit.

jcmack13
06-13-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The reason is that the English legal system (which we adpoted, naturally) were in French until the mid 14th century -- even though the rest of the country spoke English. So, in order to communicate things accurately, they had to be said twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This gets added to my list of "Why Canada Sucks."

scotty34
06-13-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dictionary.com, which has become my reference of convenience for this thread, lists flammable and inflammable as coming from the latin flammare, so i think they're both legit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just remember reading in another thread that the original word was inflammable, derived from inflame. People were confused because they thought it was derived from flame and using the prefix "in" and it actually meant that it could not combust. Flammable was then created to stop idiots from burning themselves.

Jersey Nick
06-13-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW Bobcat does not = Mountain Lion

Bobcat
Lynx rufus
http://www.lancasterfontana.com/images/combo01-7.jpg

Mountain Lion a/k/a Cougar, Puma, Catamount, Panther
Felis concolor
http://www.lancasterfontana.com/images/combo01-6.jpg

RicktheRuler
06-13-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
humongous

[/ QUOTE ] I am not sure "humongous" is in the dictionary. I know a few years ago when I was still in college it was not.

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Is that you, Jersey Nick? If so, I'm jealous. I've killed bobcats, but none that big. And I've actually only seen two mountain lions, much less ever shot one.

jcmack13
06-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Okay, so not bobcat and mountain lion, but you know what I mean. There's some wild cat with multiple names that I was thinking of. Clearly not the bobcat.

shadow29
06-13-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If we accept that "irregardless" is a word, you still sound like a gigantic moron if you use it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jersey Nick
06-13-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is that you, Jersey Nick? If so, I'm jealous. I've killed bobcats, but none that big. And I've actually only seen two mountain lions, much less ever shot one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not me - I just thought that the pics with the same guy would illustrate the difference properly. I would never treat a pussy that way. Hey, wait a minute...

maryfield48
06-13-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Vince and Smoothcall

[/ QUOTE ]

"irregardless" is not a word, "irrespective" is the word that you were thinking of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not start that again.

Skipbidder
06-13-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flammable is more of a word than your earlier example of "miniscule".

offTopic
06-13-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Vince and Smoothcall

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not start that again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I thought the inclusion of the second line would imply that I wasn't being serious in the first line, but apparently I needed to include a /images/graemlins/grin.gif in the post body somewhere. Oh well...lesson learned.

The Goober
06-13-2005, 05:51 PM
efficacious = effective

But really, virtually all synonyms are going to have at least slightly different connotations because the people who choose one word over the other. For instance, only wanks and people who work in the drug industry would say "efficacious"

beckham9
06-13-2005, 05:53 PM
is there a difference between sarcastic and facetious? i seem to use them mostly interchangably.

RocketManJames
06-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Here's my guess at a few that might make the cut:

1) INNATE / CONNATE
2) LISTLESS / LANGUID
3) PALE (adjective) / PALLID

But, the latter two pairs probably don't really work that well due to multiple definitions.

-RMJ